Webcam Security System

Darkmist!

Hello.

I was wondering if anyone here has some good links or advice for me. my grandmothers barn was broken into and all of her stuff was stolen from it,(saddles, tools.. etc), and i am going to implement a security system that incorporates infrared security cameras that are motion activated and then broadcast their signal to a wireless AP and out to an FTP server so that the footage is secured offsite.

i don't really know where to begin.. Ive gotten some stuff off of lifehacker and things like that but was just wondering if the Hak5 community would have any insight to my problem

Thanks

Give us a rough diagram and more detail on the solution you want.

Wireless is nice but if you stick to regular 100baseT not only will your network be more secure but some models of IP camera support POE (so no messing around with external power supplies). This requires a POE compatible device and a switch that supports this though.

You might also want to look at a camera with nightvision on it if this is going to be running 24/7.

Give us a rough diagram and more detail on the solution you want.

Wireless is nice but if you stick to regular 100baseT not only will your network be more secure but some models of IP camera support POE (so no messing around with external power supplies). This requires a POE compatible device and a switch that supports this though.

You might also want to look at a camera with nightvision on it if this is going to be running 24/7.

heres the rough layout of the farm. i want to go wireless because the barn is old and i don't want a machine runnin in there 24/7 because of the hay and other things that could catch fire or just get plugged up.

basically i want the power to see whats going on when we aren't around. motion detection would be preferred. i picture a USB power blopck that converts AC power to USB ower, which is hooked into a battery and gives the webcam power. i could use some of the commercial webcams with the AC power already on it and run the Ethernet cable from the barn to the farmhouse but with the distance that I have to go and no real ability to run a secure line, wireless would be best ( the paths between the barn and house are usually used for loading horses and loading trailers and things).

sorry i haven't been to clear on this.. im at work and am typing this while on break. ill give a better layout of what i want when i get home

Panasonic Live Steaming Webcams with webpage interface and almost 360degree motion control from the web page, along with video recording software should do what you want. The panasonic cameras let you zoom in/out, rotate views, etc, and you can control via web browser from anywhere + can be set up to record on motion detection.

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electro...000000000005702

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electro...000000000005702

• 2 weeks later...

i use mobiscope and mobiola web cam apps for my computers at home and they kick ass for keeping an eye on things when youre not home. they have nice features like the panasonic software does such as motion detection, zoom (depending on the webcam) , remote viewing from any computer or mobile device, it will even send you an email or sms right to your phone as soon as it detects motion, you can set it to record or take snapshots at specified intervals, and a few other options, i like it because i can view up to 4 cams at once via split screen right from my phone anywhere i am, or login and view past recordings or snapshots. and it will work with any webcam or ip cam. and with mobiola webcam you can setup seemingly harmless cell phones as webcams. its pretty covert. and cheap

This sounds very very interesting and gave me a new idea for a new project.

I've got an Asterisk Server for my ISDN phone system and I think I try to combine the security system with motion detection and Asterisk. For example Asterisk call me when the webcam detects some motion in my room. I'm living in a residential community and with this system I can take a look if someone enter my room when i'm not home.