Vista wont recognize my drive but..

jake

Vista wont recognize my drive under (my computer) but it shows up correctly in the device manager. ive tried to update the drivers and ive also uninstalled and disconnected the device then reinstalled the drivers and plugged it back in. Any ideas?

If you haven't already, partition and format the drive. This is an essential task to perform before anything can use it, it's blank. Generally you think of a blank drive as being one which contains no files but even then it has partitions laid out on it ready and waiting to hold data and without this it just looks like nothing to Windows (or MacOS or Linux or...)

If you haven't already, partition and format the drive. This is an essential task to perform before anything can use it, it's blank. Generally you think of a blank drive as being one which contains no files but even then it has partitions laid out on it ready and waiting to hold data and without this it just looks like nothing to Windows (or MacOS or Linux or...)

yes i thought of this but how to you format a drive if it does not have a drive letter assigned to it?

Right click on Computer, go to Manage, select disk management, select your new disc, create a partition on this disk, format it and assign it a drive letter.

Yes...The easy way :-)

Gparted would work too, but is unnecessary for something this simple.