Where can I go to learn about computers?

jleonare

So I really like watching the episodes on this website, even though most of the time I have no idea what they're talking about. Basically I'm just starting to become interested in computers on a programming/engineering level, and I want to get a really good understanding of everything about them.

Can anyone help me out with links to sites (preferably with videos) about understanding computers in-depth.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

hey man.

Here is a good start at just understanding. For something easy install some software to run a webserver then practise editing existing code. or existing source for VC6 or something.

Stage 1 gentoo install via guide is a quick way to learn.

What really helped me "get it" was playing with FreeBSD. Kinda like the suggested Gentoo install its not going to hold your hand like Ubuntu will, so you will be forced to start from the very beginning and work your way up. And don't worry if you cock it up and have to start again, its normal and helpful. My first FreeBSD box must have been reinstalled about 30 times in a 2 month period.

*nix aside, generally you want to play about with computers, just set yourself little goals and work towards them.

Try everything and if it doesn't work try something else. That's the best advice I can give, experiment with it all, maybe write a bit of code, build a machine to run it on, when you're done turn that machine into something else (as suggested, a webserver), also read, do a lot of research. You'll come across things you don't understand or words that mean nothing to you but that's a good thing, it helps you learn on the job so to speak. As for hardware, mix and match hardware, maybe look into how building your own circuits to interface with things might work (for example using an atmega to speak to a USB port). Read up on some networking, fire up something like Wireshark and see how your computer's talking to the outside world. There's so much you can cover, it's impossible to hint on it all here, but as I said just experiment and read up on things as you go, you'll be surprised how much you can learn. Good luck and have fun!

I'd say pick an area of interest first. Hardware, software, programming, OS's, etc. Then just google away for those topics. Starting with A+ type sites to get familiar with the basics of a pc and such. Read. Read some more, and most of all ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS WHEN YOU GET STUCK on something. Use the search tool on the forums as a lot of people come here with the same questions over the years, and there are a LOT of really good resources and responses from people right here on the forums. This is as good a place as any to get yoru feet wet from beginner to more advanced stuff, and the community here is always willing to help point you in the right direction. I know A+ might seem like entry level work, but for a better understanding of programming from an engineer standpoint, you have to work from the bottom up and understand what all the components do in a PC, how they work together and such, and then you can work on how to communicate with those components through different programming languages.

Google Video A+

Network+

PC Engineering

Computer Science Lectures

I have had a love for computers since I was 6 years old but we could not afford one the best I had was litterally a win 3.1 box! and eventually a win98se I did not get ahold of a decent computer until I was about 14 or 15.

I have an old p2 box with 512 mb of ram, I love to experiment with it, I've run tons of servers and os's on it. Play around with it, get an old box and install linux, reactos, windows, anything you can find just to learn or mess around with. Start with easy stuff like free all in one web servers (some are really a single .exe, but they only serve standard html) and learn that Google is your best friend, I've gone from nothing to running several websites, getting a computer tech job at 17, etc. And honestly I dont know as much as most ppl on this site but I still kick everyones ass I've ever met on the pc.... Just trust yourself and enjoy what your doing its the true key, if your not having fun and dont enjoy it, your never going to get anywhere.

Hope I helped.

I have had a love for computers since I was 6 years old but we could not afford one the best I had was litterally a win 3.1 box! and eventually a win98se I did not get ahold of a decent computer until I was about 14 or 15.

Now, was it the computer that wasn't decent, or the OS? Be honest. There is a ton of stuff you can do with an older machine, so long as you can program in ASM and know how to communicate with the hardware. We didn't get to the moon on PIII's and Windows OS's. We are only limited in life by our imagination...

Build a computer, or a simple web server as people have said. Get used to a new operating system like linux which can be a bit daunting at first but it gets easier. If you are looking down the code route start with web languages IE HTML CSS and PHP. Maybe download PHPBB see if you can mod it a bit, everyone has done a bit of phpbb modding even if they do not like to admit it. Then I would move onto assembly language, python, ruby. Once you have conquered all of them try your hand at C and C++.

I went through all of these stages but found that my heart really lay with hardware so basically just go with whateve you fancy, don't do something if you are not enjoying it.

This may seem lame and low-tech, but I would say go to your local library. Check out some books. Do some labs in those books and eventually you will get it. Also, check Monster.com for internships.