DS+Camera+mp3+SD=?

RogueHart

woo! wonder how long it will take before they have a soft mod out for it lol

I'm not sure if this is going to be a good idea or just a gimmick... but it sure as hell sounds interesting.

It seems like everything these days has to have either a camera in it or (more prominantly) an mp3 playback system...

lol well even nintendo gimmicks are good usually. but they arent big on them anyway. the release a lot of redesigns for their portables. i mean

gameboy > color gameboy > gameboy pocket

then gameboy color was alone other than a release of various colors.

gba > gba sp > gba micro

ds > ds lite > dsi

Wife got a DS Lite as a gift, then I saw the Hak5 ep on hack.

She is very happy now, :)

I never got the Wifi hack running, but I finally did get the Nintendo drivers to function on the USB adapter.

That being said the Wifi apps aren't that thrilling, Nintendo browser, Twitter DS, various hot spot sniffers.

The Wifi chipset seems kinda weak, maybe its just me.

I hope they upgrade it in the new one to at least support WPA.

Big kudos to the hak5 crew on covering this very cool, once modded, device.

Fritze

the main problem with the DS was memmory you could run linux on it..but shit it was limited like crazzy

hopefully we get atleast 256mb of ram or something i belive the DS/DS lite only have like 2mb or something

you could barly even get the Elinks port working

this new dsi looks like a step up from kicking the psp in the ass

would i get one...hell yes i would

hopefully it uses a diffrent processor other then ARM7 and ARM5 iirc it had two!

now since it has a SD-card slot im pretty sure someone is gonna use a lib-ttf exploit and make it possible for everyone to run homebrew....im actually really excited about this...who knows what little exploits and fun stuff this little thing will store..i see the main use for vouyer tho.."omg are you peeping on me?" "NOOO im playing with my pikachu" lol

the main problem with the DS was memmory you could run linux on it..but shit it was limited like crazzy

hopefully we get atleast 256mb of ram or something i belive the DS/DS lite only have like 2mb or something

you could barly even get the Elinks port working

this new dsi looks like a step up from kicking the psp in the ass

would i get one...hell yes i would

hopefully it uses a diffrent processor other then ARM7 and ARM5 iirc it had two!

now since it has a SD-card slot im pretty sure someone is gonna use a lib-ttf exploit and make it possible for everyone to run homebrew....im actually really excited about this...who knows what little exploits and fun stuff this little thing will store..i see the main use for vouyer tho.."omg are you peeping on me?" "NOOO im playing with my pikachu" lol

oh yeah. sd card slot built in. the poor flash cart company ds sells are gonna tank lol

Seems nice but I'm not sure why I'd upgrade from my regular DS Lite.

the slightly bigger screen means you get to enjoy using the charger more often

you also get to take crappy under exposed, high ISO images with a tiny cam that has a ccd too small for the image res

which means you will also get the joy of spending hours using layer masks, pen tool, blur tool, levels, alpha channels and a multitude of other features in photoshop to make the images you take to actually be viewable

this is a win win for all of the companies.

Nintendo gets to charge you a arm and a leg for the DS

Adobe gets more business

and you get to use all of their stuff :)

i imagine theyre will still be a need for the moded micro-sd card NDS carts but i really wanna know how the firmware will differ..if any...id really like them to implement an upgrading system like the psp does ..so we can crack those as we did on the psp and i hope for the love of god the freaking wifi attena is built correctly..because the lite's attena sucks balls however the original ds had a superb antenna also like i said more memmory is must for homebrew use or just anything really

adn thier is two cameras from what i understand..the one on the inside is i think 0.3 and the on the outside is like 4.0 or something either way a camera is a camera it will still function if they added phone functionality to it it would be right under the iphone...maybe idk

but if many you will recall the gameboy color..had a camera attachment and that was cool as shit with games like warioware touch and others the camera should add another level of extreme gameplay to the ds

i hope to god they dont fuck this up

• 1 month later...

I would just like to point out that your sum is wrong :P it should be: DS+Camera+mp3+SD=Boner :P

I will definitely be getting this, hopefully for my birthday next year :D it looks awesome (much better than the scratched original DS I have xD ). Im looking forward most to the DSi shop, the added sexiness and the mp3 player. My only gripe with it is that they removed the GBA slot from it, it was bad enough having to whip out my SNES to play the original GB and GBC games when I bought the original DS but now I will either need to buy a GB Micro or get my cube out whenever I want to play GBA games :(.

• 1 month later...

well there goes nintendo again, putting a tiny modification in the gameboy that it shouldve already had from the begining. I love how they keep people buying millions of gameboys by making just a tiny little tweak to it that it shouldve had long ago. first was the gameboy color that didnt have a backlit screen, then they rereleased the color with a backlit screen, then they did the same shit with the gameboy advance, then they made they DS, then the DS lite, then the DS lite with wifi or whatever, then the DS super duper lite, now the DS with a camera. what a bunch of shit. before you know it you have a drawer full of fucking gameboys and youve spent more than 1000 dollars on all these fuckin things when they shouldve put everything in the first goddamn gameboy. shit like this is the reason i wont buy anything from nintendo anymore.

It just seems like nintendo wants to make their own PSP

psp-camera-eyetoy-sony.jpg

EDIT: Maybe they'll play catch-up and add a GPS while they're at it

psp_gps.jpg

well now see this is exactly my point. nintendo is quite capable of making a device as good or better than things like the psp, but instead of doing it right the first time they like to string people along and add a new feature every 6 months so everyone will want to run out and get the new one. i mean shit sega gamegear had a backlit color lcd screen yeaaaars ago. I'm trying to figure out what the fuck took nintendo so long to add simple shit like an sd card slot and mp3 playback. by the time youre done buying all the different versions of the DS, DS lite, DS lite 2, DS lite lite, ds super lite, DS superduperlite with wifi, DS ultra light with cam and mp3, DS menthol lite, etc etc you've spend enough to buy a nice laptop.

well now see this is exactly my point. nintendo is quite capable of making a device as good or better than things like the psp, but instead of doing it right the first time they like to string people along and add a new feature every 6 months so everyone will want to run out and get the new one. i mean shit sega gamegear had a backlit color lcd screen yeaaaars ago. I'm trying to figure out what the fuck took nintendo so long to add simple shit like an sd card slot and mp3 playback. by the time youre done buying all the different versions of the DS, DS lite, DS lite 2, DS lite lite, ds super lite, DS superduperlite with wifi, DS ultra light with cam and mp3, DS menthol lite, etc etc you've spend enough to buy a nice laptop.

My best guess is pricing. From my brief experience in retail, most consumers won't willingly shell out more than 150 bucks on what is essentially a "kid's toy". nintendo knows this, and tries to keep their prices low, regardless of how much the hardware sucks, with their excuse being "this is made just for games". once they start to dominate the handheld game market, every two years they come out with a new edition of the same handheld, only smaller, or with a 20% brighter screen, or with a new slot for kids to jam crayons in. They'll also make a "Zelda Limited Edition" or some shit like that, so that fanboys can go batshit insane and beg their moms to buy them the same thing they got last year in a different color. The OS won't do anything special, except load a cartridge, or tell you that you're missing one. People end up buying the same gameboy 3 times for upgrades you can do with an imagination, a soldering iron, and a trip to radioshack.

Not to sound like a snot nosed fanboy, but Nintendo should take a page from the book of PSP, and put an expansion slot on the damn thing. That way, instead of people buying the same console over and over, they just sell the peripherals, and kids don't end up with a drawer full of gameboys. An upgradeable firmware wouldn't hurt either, with a menu of some sort.

there's a lot of manufacturers who cash in on accessories. just take a look at the 360. sure, it only costs 200 bucks, but if you want wifi, that's another 100 bucks. wanna play more than 6 feet away from the console? you have to buy a rechargeable battery pack, or change your AA's almost every day. ran out of save space? spend over 100 dollars on a hard drive so small that newegg won't even sell it anymore. you pretty much get stuck buying their crappy hardware and spending all of the money you thought you "saved" just to keep playing games, not to mention subscription tiers to play games online when you already pay your ISP for that.

my wii still doesnt play dvds and gets HORRIBLE frame rates on streaming videos... how depressing is that? and I paid $250 for it. Hell you can go buy a walmart computer that does DVD+-rw, high def, mp3, at least a 200gig hdd for $40 more and for a miniscule $130 turn it into a decent gaming pc.

(dont start that shit with me about eww you need at least 4gig/mem, a quad sli videocard setup a cool guy 50' screen, and a core i7 proc that rivals the price of my car to deem it a 'gaming pc'. thats just leet bullshit, if you can run a game decently at a decent detail and resolution *1024x768 or higher* then yah it can be deemed a gaming pc, and my laptop has an integrated nvidia 8200m, 2 gigs memory, a 160gb 5200rpm hdd, and an athlon x2 ql-60 proc. and I get about 72 fps in farcry, max settings, and 1280x800 resolution.)

p.s. dont believe me (about the 'gaming pc' talk)?

heres some spec.

base system $298.99

Newegg-Nvidia 9600gt 512mb$95.99

the topper- add 2gig mem to make 3 gigs total$17.99

Total = $412.97

Wii - $250

2nd remote/wii sports - $40

2nd nunchuck - $25

Total = $315

so for under $100 you can get a better, more flexible, faster 'gaming' device

BLAH! my bad all.. just still feeling a prick in my side for buying a wii (btw, im not a sony or ms fanboy, the only other systems i have are a ds, and a ps2[o.g. ps2 1st gen w/ all the hookups)

my wii still doesnt play dvds and gets HORRIBLE frame rates on streaming videos... how depressing is that? and I paid $250 for it. Hell you can go buy a walmart computer that does DVD+-rw, high def, mp3, at least a 200gig hdd for $40 more and for a miniscule $130 turn it into a decent gaming pc.

(dont start that shit with me about eww you need at least 4gig/mem, a quad sli videocard setup a cool guy 50' screen, and a core i7 proc that rivals the price of my car to deem it a 'gaming pc'. thats just leet bullshit, if you can run a game decently at a decent detail and resolution *1024x768 or higher* then yah it can be deemed a gaming pc, and my laptop has an integrated nvidia 8200m, 2 gigs memory, a 160gb 5200rpm hdd, and an athlon x2 ql-60 proc. and I get about 72 fps in farcry, max settings, and 1280x800 resolution.)

p.s. dont believe me (about the 'gaming pc' talk)?

heres some spec.

base system $298.99

Newegg-Nvidia 9600gt 512mb$95.99

the topper- add 2gig mem to make 3 gigs total$17.99

Total = $412.97

Wii - $250

2nd remote/wii sports - $40

2nd nunchuck - $25

Total = $315

so for under $100 you can get a better, more flexible, faster 'gaming' device

BLAH! my bad all.. just still feeling a prick in my side for buying a wii (btw, im not a sony or ms fanboy, the only other systems i have are a ds, and a ps2[o.g. ps2 1st gen w/ all the hookups)

you bring up another good point about the nintendo (i edited out offensive content). why not integrate the ability to play dvds, or even cd's in the goddamn thing? i mean shit sony did it on their first gen PS, MS did it on the first gen xbox. wtf is nintendos problem. also what i hate about nintendo is the inability to play previous gen games on a current console, why is it that i can play my first gen PS games on my PS3 but i cant on a faggot ass wii? why is it that nintendo has to change up tha goddamn controller configuration on each console it releases but im still using the same familiar button config on my PS3 and my xbox? wtf is nintendos problem?

bottom line is nintendo plays bullshit games with consumers. I know the fanboys dont want to hear it and i know the other companies play games too like sony and their goddamn memory sticks and shit like that but thats still no comparison to the (i edited out offensive content) ass shit that nintendo is up to. and belive me i used to be a hard core and i mean HARDCORE nintendo fan when the 64 was out. but really the N64 was the last thing nintendo did right. I will never ever buy a nintendo product again.