eeepc 1000h

3vmike

So I just picked up an Asus EEEPC 1000H. I'm pretty impressed with this little device. The first thing I did was to put eeeubuntu on it, but man am I impressed with the hardware quality of this device.

Nice and sleek, sturdy, but not heavy a great netbook.

I'm wondering if anyone has any tips about getting the most out of this little guy and / or any picks of their UMPCs with hak5 shwag.

God damn I want one of these.

yeah I was kinda hesitant about the size of the key board, I'm a big guy, and I have big fingers. But its great no problems.

I also recently learned that the Intel Atom processor is a dual core. Gonna upgrade to 2gb very soon.

yeah I was kinda hesitant about the size of the key board, I'm a big guy, and I have big fingers. But its great no problems.

I also recently learned that the Intel Atom processor is a dual core. Gonna upgrade to 2gb very soon.

The Atom is not dual core if you do your homework, its Hyper Threaded like the old Intel P4s. There is a dual core one coming soon but it consumes twice the power.

I tried all the netbook keyboards and the best is the HP Mininote, and second is the Acer Aspire One in my mind, I simply couldn't type on the EEE 901, so I went for the Acer Aspire One and I'm loving it.

If any Brits want a good deal, print of the Play price which is £210 at the moment for the 512MB and 120GB disk, go to you local PC World which stocks it, they will match the price and take a further 10% off. So you can get it for £189 which is a bargin, especially with the 1000h costing £330 the cheapest I've seen it.

The dual core Atom misconception seems a common one, someone else on here thought the same thing, I'm not sure you'd need a dual core CPU in these little netbooks anyway, they're just not that kind of machine.

That's not a bad price for the Aspire One, £210's cheaper than my eee 701 at the time. I'd prefer if the Aspire One had the battery life of the eee 901 but hey, it looks good, it has an Atom and you can't have everything.

Also, hey stingwray, long time no see.

ahhhh indeed my mistake I saw an article about the dual core atoms and thought that it was out already. I will say tho stingray I cant speak for the 901, but the 1000h's keyboard is no problem and the 10.1" screen gives you that little extra room. They claim the battery life lasts for 7 hours but im expecting more like 5.5 to 6.

Any pics guys?

I wasn't that impressed with the 1000h tbh, it was ok, and certainly nicer than the Aspire One, but it still felt a little plasticy. I have the same complaint about my Dell Mini 9 (although imo the Dell is built better), and I don't think its purely because of the physical size issue as my HP 2133 has the best keyboard i've seen on any laptop, thinkpads included.

Don't get me wrong, the 1000h looks great and I was so close to buying one myself, but the AAO's price is just the thing, I didn't want to spend lots of money on a netbook, so with the 1GB ram upgrade (total 1.5GB) and the 6600mAh battery I've just ordered the total comes to £250 so far, If you want to get it to near enough 1000h spec it would cost maybe another £30 for a new wireless card and a bluetooth micro dongle. Which I may do in the future. I do think that the AAO trumps the 1000h on looks though, the 1000h looks cheap and toy like to me, where the AAO looks slick and probably only second to the Mininote in my opinion.

I'll take some pics a little later maybe, probably more when the new battery arrives, which I'm really looking forward to. I have to say the only thing that has annoyed me with the AAO at the moment is that it has a second PCIe slot, but they haven't started soldering on the connector yet (this is for future 3g enabled versions) that second slot would be really nice but c'est la vie.

And moonlit, I thought I'd put in an appearance just for you! :D

So, is it worth ~$500?

The price is kinda steep but we're also talking about a little machine and a relatively little cost so if it suits you that rocks. Netbooks ftw.

I also have agree about the HP keyboard. I had the chance to play with one of the Infiltrator HP notebooks and the keyboard is the best of any netbook.

I think it is, for a netbook with an N wireless card, 10"screen, bluetooth 2.1 and a 160gbHD it does everything i need it to. My only critique is that it's an HD rather than ssd but as prices of ssds drop I'll get the storage I need.