Cut down on windows storage on eeepc 901.

calking

Hey I'm currently running a eeepc 901 20G originally running Linux but replaced with XPSP3 (sad i know, but I needed it for classes). The university's support center put XP on the 4GB drive and is full to the point certain programs aren't running properly. I would've done it myself if I could get an install disc instead of the useless upgrade disc. Now I've installed all non-windows essential programs on the 16GB but it still saves a lot of data on the 4GB. Any ideas on how to cut back on the amount windows uses? I would buy a bigger SSD but alas I still have to pay off my remaining school fees.

There's a hole LOT you can do!

Try a program called "XPLITE & 2000LITE Professional (1.6)".

Here you can delete things you do not need, and things that's not essential for the computer.

Disable hibernation and system restore points. (You can do backup in other ways.)

Cut down on the amount the trashcan can carry. Download a program called CCleaner..

Use it to reclaim some space....

I hope that this was what you ment...

I personally find 4GB enough for what I want to do on my eee, but if you need to trim some fat, run your Windows CD through nLite. It's a customisable Windows slimming app and it'll cut out all the stuff you don't need. Burn the resulting ISO to a CD, install from it, and you'll save a whole pile of space.

I personally find 4GB enough for what I want to do on my eee, but if you need to trim some fat, run your Windows CD through nLite. It's a customisable Windows slimming app and it'll cut out all the stuff you don't need. Burn the resulting ISO to a CD, install from it, and you'll save a whole pile of space.

That was the problem. He didnt own a WinXP CD.

Ah, my bad, I didn't notice he'd said that, must've skimmed it half awake...

Not really a lot you can do in that case, maybe clear out temporary internet files/temp folders, turn off hibernation if it's on, same with System Restore, turn off/shrink the pagefile, uninstall stuff you don't use... delete Windows help files... just general housekeeping I suppose.

There are also the $NTUninstall$ folders that build up in the Windows directory as you install Windows Updates, many of which can be deleted if you don't care about rolling back. You can also slipstream all current Windows Updates onto your XP CD and reinstall to avoid the problem entirely.

Thanks for the tips, the $NTUninstall$ part was the only part I hadn't heard about. And that seemed to keep the warnings off for now. Since I do have an upgrade disc and have a current installation of Windows now after coughing up $30 for a 60 minute job that took over a week to do. I could probably do the Nlite bit on the CD and hopefully everything will work out. Just need to find a cheap external disc drive to run it off of.

On a side note: wow things have changed around here, i spend one year out to finish high school and what not and just amazes me the level of support the community has brought. truly amazes me.

nLite is very useful for this sort of thing, you can make a 400mb version of xp if you want to. And allows you to do slipstreams as Leapo suggested above.

Just need to find a cheap external disc drive to run it off of.

No need for an external disc drive.

A simple pendrive or memory stick will do! :)

I installed Windows XP Pro SP2 on mine and my sister Eeepc using my SD card. Worked flawless. :)

Here's an Nlite guide:

http://www.i64x.com/eeexp.php

And here's a guide on how to use a SD card or penstick:

And here is USB Multiboot which transfers your files to your memory card or pendrive. It will also make it bootable.

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?act...ost&id=1054

During boot-up. Hold ESC to select a specific boot device :)

Good luck :)

/gEEEk

I too have a 901 Linux 20gb.

The best way I found was to install backtrack + lilo to the 4gb drive & XP to the 16gb.

It's so anoying that you can't make (to my knowledge anyway) the largest drive the master to boot from.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have two problems:

i have the Windows version of the 901 but wanted to put XP Pro on it instead.

I followed the guide:

http://www.i64x.com/eeexp.php

I used an XP Pro CD with SP3 integrated into it.

The ACPI drivers never seem to install correctly.

Is there a recommended order to the install?

if i try running the ACPI install first: AsusSetup.exe

i get an error says a .sys file is missing.

if i try running the 'chipset' install' after that i just keep getting an error popu stating:

Missing Asus ACPI Driver".

i just cannot get rid of the error message.

After installing all of the "essential' drivers (chipset, ACPI?, ethernet, VGA, audio) i am left with one unknown device: "Network Controller".

The guide does not mention that one. I thought it might be the wireless controller but the wireless driver files do not work.

any help would be appreciated.

cheers