I've downgraded from 2.8.0 to 2.6.0 and done some testing:
1. Karma vs. Win7 - very well - On my win7 I used to connect to 4 different secured wifi networks from which I'm far away now. When win7 turned on all 4 were there as pineapple , unsecured, no autoconnect, but it could be set and next restart I was autoconnected to pineapple.
2. Karma vs. Fedora - very good as well - Every open wifi I used to be connected was there as pineapple. No secured networks, but I'm not sure if I ever connected to any secured network from this fedora, so I can't tell.
3. Karma vs. Ubuntu - weak - Maybe on 5th try I managed to get karma on 1 or 2 networks I used to be connected from really a lot of networks I was ever connected from this wlan. Not sure whats the case.
4. Karma vs. Android 4.0.4 on HTC Desire X - very weak - I got karma only when I added network manually (like I wrote ssid sth like "sdfsdfasad") and it connected to pineapple.
5. Karma vs. Backtrack 5 - very weak - practically the same as Android.
So guys this was my testing with 2.6.0. Not sure how it will behave on 2.8.0, maybe tommorow I'll give it try. Basicilly I think this is the right behavior how karma works. If you have some idea why it works better/worse vs. some systems, please share with us. Also if you've done some testing as well, go on, tell us!