Mount Ftp As A Drive

badbass

I managed to figure out how to map an Ftp site as a local drive.

Here is the short version of what I did.

Curlftpfs is what you need. I know it is available for Debian based and most other distributions. It is also available for mac but this is beyond the scope of this post.

edit fstab add curlftpfs#ftpUsername:ftpPassword@ftp://ftpUrl /localDirectory fuse rw,uid=1000,umask=0777,user,suid,allow_other,exec,auto,utf8 0 1

This is the login pass where the ftp site located local directory where you want to mount the ftp site on your computer read write userid. I am not sure what the rest means.

mount -a mounts all file systems.

Edit rc.local

So it will start on reboot.

sudo curlftpfs -o umask=0777,uid=1000,gid=1000,allow_other ftp://username:password@your.ftpserver.here /localdirectory

save mount -a

I think I could set something up with except to do it better.

Any ideas let me know. Thanks MD

This works ok, but it's really slow, slower then using filezilla or a proper FTP client for doing FTP stuff, but if you need to treat it like a normal file system this works.

The only way to improve on this is by using a different protocol, which is always advisable as FTP is a rubbish protocol.

SFTP or SCP would be more advisable than standard FTP in any case. Especially since its encrypted and your password info isn't sent in the clear.

Edited by digip