How to hack a 3-digit rotary dial briefcase combination lock

agent-priet

HOW TO CRACK A BRIEFCASE 3 DIGIT ROTARY COMBINATION LOCK

BY: Agent-prie$t

Ok, for all you out there who wish to crack a briefcase without being noticed, ie: just pounding the stupid thing with a hammer!

Here you go,

First of all the briefcase I am describing hacking is a typical black leather briefcase with a 3 dial rotary combo lock that goes from 0-9 on each dial. Now this particular case, as is true with all modern cases, have a lock design that has a spin lock mechanism. What I mean is this: picture holding the case on your lap so the top will open upward once you get it open. When you spin the dials from bottom to top you can only get to zero, then the dial locks, but if you spin in the opposite direction(top to bottom) there is no stop for the dials. Now what you do to figure out each combination is this: place the first digit of each of the three dials to 9. Good, now continuously hold the little button that releases the latch in the position that will open the case once the proper combination is inserted. You are going to be spinning the dials from bottom to top; THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!! You must spin the dials "backwards" like this in order to feel the dial click into the proper digit. If you spin in the normal direction,(top to bottom), every digit will "click" into place! Leaving you clueless as to which is the correct digit! While spinning you will press down on the dials. You must press down or you will not be able to feel the latch "catch" once the proper combo is achieved. I used my index finger to spin the dials because the dials are so close together, and your index finger is the most sensitive finger. Ok; while holding the button release in the open position, press down on the first dial with your index finger, and VERY, AND I DO MEAN VERY, SLOWLY tun the dial from bottom to top. As you turn you will not feel anything until you get to the proper digit, now it will not be a loud resounding "CLICK", but it is faint, and it is noticeable. It will feel like the dial has just lowered itself further then you can press it down, it also feels like it just "seated" itself into a crevice. Now once you get the first digit... test again with the same method to make sure that this is the digit. While testing make sure you YOU DO NOT LOOK AT WHAT YOU ARE DOING for 2 reasons:

REASON #1: If you look, you will be inclined to "feel" it at the number you guessed already, we want complete objectivity, so don't look. Blind is better here!

REASON #2: When you take away your sense of sight, your feeling of touch is greatly enhanced, so you will be that much more adept to feel the dial seat into the correct number.

Ok, now that you are certain of you first digit write it down, remember it, or whatever. Then repeat the process for the remainder of the 3 dials, including the testing of each number a couple of times to make sure you consistently end up with the same number. This step may seem like a pain, but it saves a ton of time, so if the combination does not open the lock, you aren't blind and just have to guess the numbers. By the way, that method leads to over 700 different possible combinations for the one side, if the person has different combinations on each side that jumps to 5,000 different combinations total! Now that will take a couple of hours, compared to a couple of minutes checking and rechecking the digit to make sure you get the same one by feeling every time. Now do the other side, but first check you first side's combination. Hopefully your case has the same combination for both sides!

Ok, there you have it! Cracking a 3-digit briefcase rotary dial combination lock in a matter of moments! Have fun and be sure to share this information with as many people as you can!

--AGENT-PRIE$T--

By the way, that method leads to over 700 different possible combinations for the one side

Um... Could you explain the math in that? When there are 3 digits ranging from 0-9 I count 1000 different possible combinations.

if the person has different combinations on each side that jumps to 5,000 different combinations total!

Again, weird math. You'd be right if both sides need to be correct before either will open, but I can't say I've seen such locks yet. So the amount of combinations simply got doubled to 1400 with your math, 2000 with mine.

@metatron: How does such a tool work? Just tries all the options quickly, or something else?

@metatron: How does such a tool work? Just tries all the options quickly, or something else?

It allows you to feel what the number is so you can open a rotary combination lock, I can pick a 4 digit lock in 40 seconds and no one will know what I have done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 17 years later...
On 5/24/2006 at 2:46 AM, agent-priet said:

HOW TO CRACK A BRIEFCASE 3 DIGIT ROTARY COMBINATION LOCK

BY: Agent-prie$t

Ok, for all you out there who wish to crack a briefcase without being noticed, ie: just pounding the stupid thing with a hammer!

Here you go,

First of all the briefcase I am describing hacking is a typical black leather briefcase with a 3 dial rotary combo lock that goes from 0-9 on each dial. Now this particular case, as is true with all modern cases, have a lock design that has a spin lock mechanism. What I mean is this: picture holding the case on your lap so the top will open upward once you get it open. When you spin the dials from bottom to top you can only get to zero, then the dial locks, but if you spin in the opposite direction(top to bottom) there is no stop for the dials. Now what you do to figure out each combination is this: place the first digit of each of the three dials to 9. Good, now continuously hold the little button that releases the latch in the position that will open the case once the proper combination is inserted. You are going to be spinning the dials from bottom to top; THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!! You must spin the dials "backwards" like this in order to feel the dial click into the proper digit. If you spin in the normal direction,(top to bottom), every digit will "click" into place! Leaving you clueless as to which is the correct digit! While spinning you will press down on the dials. You must press down or you will not be able to feel the latch "catch" once the proper combo is achieved. I used my index finger to spin the dials because the dials are so close together, and your index finger is the most sensitive finger. Ok; while holding the button release in the open position, press down on the first dial with your index finger, and VERY, AND I DO MEAN VERY, SLOWLY tun the dial from bottom to top. As you turn you will not feel anything until you get to the proper digit, now it will not be a loud resounding "CLICK", but it is faint, and it is noticeable. It will feel like the dial has just lowered itself further then you can press it down, it also feels like it just "seated" itself into a crevice. Now once you get the first digit... test again with the same method to make sure that this is the digit. While testing make sure you YOU DO NOT LOOK AT WHAT YOU ARE DOING for 2 reasons:

REASON #1: If you look, you will be inclined to "feel" it at the number you guessed already, we want complete objectivity, so don't look. Blind is better here!

REASON #2: When you take away your sense of sight, your feeling of touch is greatly enhanced, so you will be that much more adept to feel the dial seat into the correct number.

Ok, now that you are certain of you first digit write it down, remember it, or whatever. Then repeat the process for the remainder of the 3 dials, including the testing of each number a couple of times to make sure you consistently end up with the same number. This step may seem like a pain, but it saves a ton of time, so if the combination does not open the lock, you aren't blind and just have to guess the numbers. By the way, that method leads to over 700 different possible combinations for the one side, if the person has different combinations on each side that jumps to 5,000 different combinations total! Now that will take a couple of hours, compared to a couple of minutes checking and rechecking the digit to make sure you get the same one by feeling every time. Now do the other side, but first check you first side's combination. Hopefully your case has the same combination for both sides!

Ok, there you have it! Cracking a 3-digit briefcase rotary dial combination lock in a matter of moments! Have fun and be sure to share this information with as many people as you can!

--AGENT-PRIE$T--

I want to thank you for this post.  My husband set up his briefcase last night and found out he couldn't get into it this morning.  I searched the internet and came up with your post!  I did the number on the left first, then the number on the right.  Then the middle number just popped!  He is so happy you made me into a safe-cracker.  Thank you!