STORY: USB hacksawer gets pwned

kz26

:blink:

What do you want me to do to prove it?

:rolleyes:

Hahah, not exactly!

More along the lines of an IBM R63 (or something like that!)!

No, im talking about the online grading software they were using, most schools use Blackboard.

• 1 month later...
...* All information should be free...

If all information should be free why dont you post your social security number, your bank account numbers, creditcard numbers, and all of your usernames and passwords to everything from your online banking to your email accounts?

there are just some things that are meant to be private and access should be limited (some times to just one or two people).

my 2 cents about the kid who got in trouble.

Just becuse somthing can be owned doesint mean it should be owned. He crossed the line when he decided to own a school computer through his teachers account. He deserved to be expelled for that.

Hahaha, pwned!

Oh, that reminds me, last year (my last year of school) I used my claymore against a high up teacher, and got his passwords... including the one to the online student grading system!

Let's just say I got 6 As in the end of year report ;)

*cough* bullshit *cough*

*cough* bullshit *cough*

exactly.... because even though I work for a Podunk, small town school district, even we verify grades 2 separate times before they go on report cards or progress reports.

part of the verification is the teacher still checks the hand-written grade book, with the online version, then make sure the grade book is averaging things like they want.

of course this isn't the whole process, but enough to say I agree on the *cough* bullshit *cough* line.

information != personal data

Yeah so umm how do you make the distinction between what is personal data and what is information? care to clarify that? because personal data is a type of information and I believe the quote said "ALL information..."

Would you classify for example access codes for school computers as information or personal data?

Or perhaps the launch codes for all the worlds nuclear weapons?

• 4 weeks later...

wow no offense but i would have just fixed the problem.....told the teacher to change the passwords and then tell that kid to stop doing everything he was doing and that i know and to back off.....i would have atleast gave him a chance and then and only then if he proceeded with his actions would i turn him in......o ya idk if im right but most pple with computer Know how usually have pretty good grades and wouldnt have to use some trick they saw online to change there grades on an most likely low password protected grading system....to me i think hacking is only meant for the funn(good) and to beat the pple that use it for the bad

• 2 weeks later...

There's a difference between a responsible hacker and a irresponsible hacker. This kid seemed to be of the latter. The responsible hacker tests his shit and double checks everything to make sure he won't get caught some how, for instance using a personal email account and logging into an email account with a home ip address. He knows that if he gets caught he's screwed. And understands the depth of the penalty.

An irresponsible hacker know next to nothing and doesn't take into account the extreme reality of what could happen to him if he's caught. He is the one to use his personal email address and home internet to log in to it with. He's the one to do it in his own class or brag to others using both a personal name and his alter(forum) ego.

Some are more cautious than others. It's obvious that he either has nothing to loose or he's got everything to loose and was/is desperate.

personally i think if you are dumb/uneducated enough to use your private account you shouldn't be doing things like that and if you do well you deserve to get busted (if it wasn't by you it would have been the IT bearing they aren't completely incompetent :lol: ). i also think its totally wrong to bust some one, but from what i read it looks kinda like you didn't have a choice (i.e. the over head projector). now about him copying your files, im more of a get even kinda guy, you had his email and pass.... use your imagination for the rest, its part of being a hacker. but what im curious about is what were his/her reasons for "trying" to own the teachers system??

ps. all the arguing that's going on in here, i thought was hilarious...

stupid people are fun to laugh at.

Wow guys, I'm impressed (and flattered!) that this thread has been going on for so long.

Just to clear up some things: From what they've told me he was trying to steal exams from the teacher since he was more or less failing the class...usually I am against busting people, but this kid had the rep of being a slimeball and the teacher he targeted is one of my favorite...this teacher actually *offered* to write letters of rec for me. The guy would *definitely* fall under the "irresponsible hacker" category.

This wasn't just a simple case of changing passwords, since it looks like he had some password dumpers running there was the potential for a full domain compromise. Thankfully he wasn't anywhere near intelligent enough to get that far.

****Begin RANT***

ah, i have aspiring hackers at my school although nonewith as much knoledge as me (i hope) therefore all the "hackers" download the latest "ultimate hackers toolkit" which consists of obvious viruses these people are to dumb to spot such as the fabled rename of any exe to .txt "evil virus transmitter.txt.exe"

that in itself shows how stupid people are, to my knoledge even the IT guys are pretty stupid so i tend not to try anything purely ot of respect for the few that have to deal with it

****End RANT***

my school is like that.. we have access to EVERYTHING except that we cant install.. but we can play games off of our flashdrives... access cmd prompt regedit... everything.. we use a "emailing" program called 1st class... instant messaging disabled... to bad we can im using Novell... they are 2 stupid to block it... yah.. its great...

Yeah we have Novell at our school, I was on my friends account and "accidentally" sent a message to the whole school so everyone that was online got a pop up with the message. It was funny, but they banned his account.