Hacking: Where to begin

comcipher

News:

www.digg.com

I wouldn't say that Digg can teach anyone anything about hacking. Yes, it's an interesting social networking site but I wouldn't put it in this list.

Podcasts:

http://www.grc.com/SecurityNow.htm <-- This is fantastic for people who are new to the field. If you have the time or motivation, go back and listen to them from day 1, they assume you know very little if anything and hit on all of the major topics in the security field. Fantastic show.

I've got issues with Security Now! They are trying to do good things by explaining everything in a very dumbed down way but Steve Gibson bothers me because he jumps way overboard on things and isn't always technically accurate.

Ben

I've got issues with Security Now! They are trying to do good things by explaining everything in a very dumbed down way but Steve Gibson bothers me because he jumps way overboard on things and isn't always technically accurate.

Ben

I second that.

As for beginning. There are many different ways you can go, because hacking is a broad term. There are network hacks, software hacks, etc.

I know this is a bad answer, but if want to get a good foundation, the best thing to do is learn one of those two, if not both. O'reilly has some great books out there on networking, as well as many good books on programming. If you want to start dissecting software eventually and finding flaws in it, it's almost essential that you have a good understanding of C and assembly. Then I would start digging into books like this. Also, reading through exploit code can teach you a lot. Check out milw0rm, Exploit Tree, and Security Focus for some great exploit code.

With regards to networking, I would recommend picking up a few books on networking (Cisco, etc.) and see if you can find a few devices cheap on Ebay. Then start picking them apart, and testing out hacks. There are many good documents out there on packet forensics, and network flow. I would really read up on how networks really work, eveyone knows the basic concept, but computer networks are incredibly sophisticated and there is a lot to learn. In fact, I don't think any one person can possibly know all there is to know about digital networks, so there is always more to learn, and more vulnerabilities to discover.

• Upvote 1

News:

www.digg.com

I wouldn't say that Digg can teach anyone anything about hacking. Yes, it's an interesting social networking site but I wouldn't put it in this list.

Podcasts:

http://www.grc.com/SecurityNow.htm <-- This is fantastic for people who are new to the field. If you have the time or motivation, go back and listen to them from day 1, they assume you know very little if anything and hit on all of the major topics in the security field. Fantastic show.

Ben

You should have a listen to the Blue Box Podcast if your interested in Voip Security. http://www.blueboxpodcast.com/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm currently listening to all of the (well, upto episode 5 so far) security now podcasts. For someone who doesn't know a lot, and ought to know a lot more, it's a nice place to at least pick up basic information about certain topics, so I can then go and look for specific information on that subject. Still, time's against me at the moment-my dissertation is due in 10 days and I have another 4000 words to write, without all of my results as yet...

Crime: The Real Internet Security Problem (The guy that did this talk is a real douche bag)

A lot of the Google talks are worth watching.

I can't understand what he's saying with that acent... it would be better with subtitles. I have to concentrate too much on understanding his acent. As a result I probably won't get much out of it.

Maybe we should ship this stuff to the Wiki and use what remains of this thread as a discussion point for what else should be featured in the Wiki page?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The easy way if you got the Gift of the Gab

Read Keven Mitnick's Book - The Art of Deception and practise :lol:

The hard way

Learn to code

Suscribe to the mailing lists @ secutityfocus such as Bugtrack

Understand the topics discussed well enough to include them in yur code

:D