Root your car (Idea)

Dave-ee Jones

Well, it's not really rooting it, it's more like making it...cool? Idk.

Anyway, so there are a few gadgets out there that allow you to hack your car and do interesting things with it (packet sniffing the car's data etc.), but I was mainly interested in remotely unlocking your car (YES I KNOW WE HAVE REMOTES!) and starting it up before you even reach the car (Oo, now ye be talkin'). Anyway, I was thinking you could have a Wireless Pi which hosts a WiFi with an unbroadcasted SSID (yes, I know they are still seeable but realistically only about 1% of people are actually looking for unbroadcasted SSIDs - and they are usually war-driving), connected to a battery pack. The battery pack would be hardwired into your car, so when you start the car it charges back up from your car's battery as you drive (could be just plugged into a USB port in your car lighter thingo). Basically as you approach your car your phone automatically joins the WiFi and you can press a button to unlock it, start it up, unlock the boot or whatever. 

It's a lot of work but you can imagine the look on someone's face when this big V8 starts up next to them, with no one in it..(And they don't have a sudden urge to steal it as you are approaching your car - though you wouldn't start it till your basically next to or almost at your car, especially if it's in a busy parking lot).

You could also expand this a bit, like remotely playing music, starting a movie with the monitor in the boot or something like that. With it being a Pi that's controlling you could do basically anything; GPS, weather station (if you really wanted, and you were on the road a lot), entertainment system, war-driving system, LED system that's been laced around you car..Yeah, you get the picture.

I've seen it done, but the main problem would be hardwiring the Pi into your car so you can toggle lock, boot and start it up, though there are tutorials for that everywhere and I'm sure someone's done it with a Pi.

On 7/30/2017 at 11:48 AM, Spoonish said:

Check out some of Samy Kamkar's stuff. Https://Samy.pl (i believe)

Just got my mind blown by RollJam and how it works..Pretty ingenious stuff.

Quote from a blog post about RollJam (talking about the user trying to unlock their car with a remote, requiring two tries because the first "failed"):

When that first signal is jammed and fails to unlock the door, the user naturally tries pressing the button again. On that second press, the RollJam is programmed to again jam the signal and record that second code, but also to simultaneously broadcast its first code. That replayed first code unlocks the door, and the user immediately forgets about the failed key press. But the RollJam has secretly stored away a second, still-usable code. “You think everything worked on the second time, and you drive home,” says Kamkar. “But I now have a second code, and I can use that to unlock your car.”

Edited by Dave-ee Jones

Just now, Dave-ee Jones said:

Just got my mind blown by RollJam and how it works..Pretty ingenious stuff.

I saw that for the first time last year I think... I'm more amazed that he built it out of a little girl's toy. He also caused mass inflation of the price in which to purchase one... But definitely genius. I've picked up some SDR gear, but I've yet to dabble.

1 minute ago, Decoy said:

I saw that for the first time last year I think... I'm more amazed that he built it out of a little girl's toy. He also caused mass inflation of the price in which to purchase one... But definitely genius. I've picked up some SDR gear, but I've yet to dabble.

Actually I think the girl's toy one was OpenSesame. RollJam is basically a radio chip that kinda looks like a Pi Zero...

Just now, Dave-ee Jones said:

Actually I think the girl's toy one was OpenSesame. RollJam is basically a radio chip that kinda looks like a Pi Zero...

That's right. I'm confusing the two. Check out his drone work too, it's pretty awesome. It flies around hacking other drones in flight, creating a drone army.

11 minutes ago, Decoy said:

SkyJack.

Yep, literally had just watched the video of how SkyJack works. It's pretty interesting, and because no one thinks that they can be hacked (being some 20m in the air) and it interfaces with your own device it makes it all the more ingenious to make another drone that hacks other drones around it so you can control them. Only question is how do you control all those drones..(imagines 10 drones just sitting in the air like "...what now, boss?...hello? boss..? what do I do..?").

Just have a for loop in Node that goes through each giving them the same command..OR you could just get a live feed of the video while giving control back to their original owners (not sure how one would do that as the owner gets deauthed AND it's only 1 client controlled..).

EDIT: I want his wall charger method for KeySweeper...WLAN Turtle plugged into the wall with a battery in it would be really nice, considering it also looks like an A/C Adapter - and it worked as one as well (trick anyone into thinking it's a wall charger to USB charger..)

Edited by Dave-ee Jones

On 7/30/2017 at 11:06 PM, Decoy said:

Lol, yeah: i took advantage of the price spike. Bought sold a couple dozen on ebay. Made at least two shiny pennies.