Management console available via Open AP

Adam_S

I've been in the process of setting up and playing with my first wifi pineapple nano. It works like a charm.

However, I'm bothered by something going on with the Management console (accessible at 172.16.42.1:1471).

I have the nano setup to expose a "Management AP" as well as a "Open AP". It was my understanding that the Management AP is for managing the nano. For example, from my analysis laptop I can connect to the nano's "Management AP" and then I can direct my browser to 172.16.42.1:1471 to setup and monitor the nano.

However, if I connect to the "Open AP" I am also still able to access the management console at 172.16.42.1:1471. I guess that I had figured the management console should only be accessible via the "Management AP" because otherwise any old sucker connected to the open AP can try to go to 172.16.42.1:1471 and then is able to see that they are actually connecting to a wifipineapple.

Can someone explain why this would be the case? Is this just due to certain default settings that open AP clients can access the management console? Or is this "supposed" to happen?   

Normally I would say you could just change the routes to separate the subnets but I've noticed that if you are on the same network as the nano is on in wifi client mode you can also access the management portal by going to its direct IP, in my case, 192.168.168.73:1471

So I suppose if you knew what you were looking for you could just run an nmap scan on a network you were connected to, to see if that particular port was open.