Firmware update troubles

kingzark

Im having some issues updating the bash bunny to the most recent firmware. I am currently on the base firmware from when I have purchased the device and have run apt-get update && apt-get upgrade after getting internet with my linux machine. I then download the firmware .tar file from the downloads area and copy the file to the / directory of the bash bunny. I then safely eject the device in arming mode and plug it back in expecting to see a red blinking light. Unfortunately it does nothing and boots to the regular storage mode and nothing has changed. I have searched the forums for help but I can't seem to figure out why this is happening. Can someone help me out with this issue?

Where does it say anything about using apt-get update/upgrade?

You can update your Bunny using the download page and installation guide here.

Small snippet of the page:

Installation Overview

Your Bash Bunny can be easily upgraded to the latest firmware version. Just copying an upgrade file to the root of the Bash Bunny flash drive in arming mode, safely eject it, and plug it back into your computer in arming mode.
The first time the Bash Bunny is upgraded it will indicate the flashing process with a red blinking LED for up to 10 minutes. The flashing process will be followed by a green LED to indicate that the Bash Bunny is rebooting. Finally the standard slow blinking blue LED will indicate that the flashing process has succeeded and arming mode is ready.

2 minutes ago, Dave-ee Jones said:

That means it never updated.

Apt-get update/upgrade isn't a thing with the Bunny. Do as the installation guide says.

Like I have said I followed the installation guide and it is not working for me. If you read what I wrote after I said I did apt-get update && apt-get upgrade, which by the way did update something, when I copy the file to / and replug the device It boots regularly into the storage mode and does not upgrade firmwares.

1 minute ago, kingzark said:

Like I have said I followed the installation guide and it is not working for me. If you read what I wrote after I said I did apt-get update && apt-get upgrade, which by the way did update something, when I copy the file to / and replug the device It boots regularly into the storage mode and does not upgrade firmwares.

did you 2. Verify that the SHA256 checksum of the downloaded firmware files matches the checksum listed at bashbunny.com ?

8 minutes ago, Vert said:

did you 2. Verify that the SHA256 checksum of the downloaded firmware files matches the checksum listed at bashbunny.com ?

I have verified it and it matches now re-flashed the bunny to factory before i ran the updates and upgrades. I am now going to attempt to copy it back to / and retry the firmware as the installation says.

are you copying the firmware to your system / or the bunny's / directory? when they say the root of the bunny there talking about where the payloads are same directory as where the version.txt is stored. i could imagine it getting confusing on a linux box let me know if you got it working i could think of several more possibility.

Edited by Vert

On 5/18/2017 at 11:16 PM, Dave-ee Jones said:

Copy the firmware file to the USB storage of the Bunny, NOT the system's storage.

Should get you places :)

On 5/18/2017 at 10:31 PM, Vert said:

are you copying the firmware to your system / or the bunny's / directory? when they say the root of the bunny there talking about where the payloads are same directory as where the version.txt is stored. i could imagine it getting confusing on a linux box let me know if you got it working i could think of several more possibility.

Yes this worked for me as well. Just was confused with what "the root" referred  too. Thanks for the help.

1 hour ago, kingzark said:

Yes this worked for me as well. Just was confused with what "the root" referred  too. Thanks for the help.

looking over the wiki and realizing you where a linux user i though it might be a bit confusing.