Hacking into my schools PA system

0uttkast

As a Senior prank I was wondering if its possible for me to hack into my schools PA system via bluetooth. I wasn't planning on playing anything inappropriate just blast some Rick Astley at random points during the day.

well without permission from the school or IT department that is illegal and frowned at here 

White-hat forum here 0uttkast, sorry.

Also, I very much doubt a PA system would use Bluetooth. That would be an awful PA system.

I would imagine a school PA system would be wired, rather than any kind of wireless signal being involved. 'Hacking' a wired PA system would not involve computer/wifi/Bluetooth hacking of any kind, unless that PA system was linked up to a PC somewhere. Most probably, it will be an old-school microphone-linked-to-soundboard-linked-to-speakers system, which is not 'hackable' in the general sense of the word.

Instead of hacking their system, maybe take the time to learn about it, if it is bluetooth, ask someone at the school. Brush up on your SE skills, talk to the system people that run the PA system, learn about it, and if it is bluetooth, ask them of you can test something, such as connecting to it. Then show them if you find a flaw. This whole "how do I hack my school" isn't so much black hat or white hat. Its how and what you do. If you act maliciously as in "I want to hack my school" without purpose, ie: malicious intent, then no, we don't condone that, but surely can't stop you. But if it's "I want to know how this system works and what I can do with it, can I test this theory xyz" and you're working with someone from staff or the school, then it's a different situation. As I say a lot, learning is not a crime. What you do may be, and that is on you. How you go about it, makes the world of difference. Tinkering and curiosity is how we learn. Just be responsible, and in all situations, cover your bases, because if some ass hat at school turns around and does it maliciously after you show them how it's done, you're the one going to get in trouble if you aren't going through the right channels and being up front about it. Hopefully they encourage you to learn about it in the process, vs getting yourself into trouble.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/17/2017 at 1:20 PM, digip said:

Instead of hacking their system, maybe take the time to learn about it, if it is bluetooth, ask someone at the school. Brush up on your SE skills, talk to the system people that run the PA system, learn about it, and if it is bluetooth, ask them of you can test something, such as connecting to it. Then show them if you find a flaw. This whole "how do I hack my school" isn't so much black hat or white hat. Its how and what you do. If you act maliciously as in "I want to hack my school" without purpose, ie: malicious intent, then no, we don't condone that, but surely can't stop you. But if it's "I want to know how this system works and what I can do with it, can I test this theory xyz" and you're working with someone from staff or the school, then it's a different situation. As I say a lot, learning is not a crime. What you do may be, and that is on you. How you go about it, makes the world of difference. Tinkering and curiosity is how we learn. Just be responsible, and in all situations, cover your bases, because if some ass hat at school turns around and does it maliciously after you show them how it's done, you're the one going to get in trouble if you aren't going through the right channels and being up front about it. Hopefully they encourage you to learn about it in the process, vs getting yourself into trouble.

100% this ;-)

• 6 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I would imagine a school PA system would be wired, rather than any kind of wireless signal being involved. 'Hacking' a wired PA system would not involve computer/wifi/Bluetooth hacking of any kind, unless that PA system was linked up to a PC somewhere. Most probably, it will be an old-school microphone-linked-to-soundboard-linked-to-speakers system, which is not 'hackable' in the general sense of the word.

On 5/17/2017 at 4:46 AM, 0uttkast said:

As a Senior prank I was wondering if its possible for me to hack into my schools PA system via bluetooth. I wasn't planning on playing anything inappropriate just blast some Rick Astley at random points during the day.

Hey, I get the playful spirit, but hacking into your school's PA system is a no-go. Pranks can have unintended consequences. How about suggesting the idea to school authorities for a more controlled and fun event?