So who's gonna get the i9?

jafahulo

Depends on how much they cost compared to the performance increase over AMD Ryzen chips.  If I can get an AMD Ryzen for 500 less than the i9 and its a small increase in performance then NOPE

Yea depends on the overall price, intel's current highest core count cpu is the 6950x. At 10 cores this is currently $1649.99 from Newegg. I expect this upcoming 12 core I9 to be north of that. 

I have not really had much to do with amd but With the Ryzen 9 Possible coming out with 16 cores it could be a close comparison in performance

If I had upwards of £1000 to blow, it'd be on hookers and booze, not on a processor.

I'm always wary on the 'bleeding edge' of this type of technology anyway. I usually wait a year or 2 after bleeding edge tech is released; That way, I know it's decent, will stand the test of time and the price is right. Buying technology at the moment it's creators release it is often (but not always) a bad idea and a waste of money.

Of course, I'm not a scientist or someone who would need this kind of processing power. So it's going to be entirely personal preference.

On 5/25/2017 at 1:00 AM, haze1434 said:

If I had upwards of £1000 to blow, it'd be on hookers and booze, not on a processor.

I'm always wary on the 'bleeding edge' of this type of technology anyway. I usually wait a year or 2 after bleeding edge tech is released; That way, I know it's decent, will stand the test of time and the price is right. Buying technology at the moment it's creators release it is often (but not always) a bad idea and a waste of money.

Of course, I'm not a scientist or someone who would need this kind of processing power. So it's going to be entirely personal preference.

Can't say I agree with the first bit, but the second bit is basically spot on. Same with third bit really...

If I had the money laying around, I would definitely grab that monster cpu. I saw a graph that was saying they are expecting the 16 core monster to go for 2k usd...lol. That's almost as much as my entire gaming rig cost me....lol

On 6/2/2017 at 10:54 PM, TheCape said:

If I had the money laying around, I would definitely grab that monster cpu. I saw a graph that was saying they are expecting the 16 core monster to go for 2k usd...lol. That's almost as much as my entire gaming rig cost me....lol

Well, thats more than twice the amount my gaming PC cost..

• 2 weeks later...