Wifi Pineapple Rant

Hello there! 

I recently purchased my WiFi Pineapple after purchasing the Bash Bunny and the Rubber Ducky because the tools were excellent and well maintained. I thought it would be this great seamless experience with the pineapple as the other Hak5 devices but I was wrong. To begin with, the device and it's software is filled with bugs and the latest release was about 7 months ago! Of course the bugs may not break the device completely but it adds to a bad user experience where you realize you can't use a sdcard to install modules because of a kernel bug. Numerous bugs I have encountered are random shutdowns, recon stuck at 100%, pineap not starting or stopping and this is also present in many modules. This makes the device in a way useless because when you want to try to use because the bugs are always ruining the attack. Most of the bugs I have encountered are on the bugs tracker list and an ETA from Hak5 when the next firmware release would be highly appreciated! The problems may be hardware based but because the are already on the bug tracker list, I doubt it.

• Upvote 2

Well I have 2 pineapple nano's and a tetra and while I have had a couple problems here or there, all three devices have worked great anytime I have need them too.  The pineapple firmware was put on hold for a bit because of the openwrt/lede software and Seb has been waiting to decide if they will keep Openwrt or use LEDE.  Seb confirmed last week that they will stick with openwrt and now that the bashbunny firmware has made some progress, im sure there will be a firmware update soon.  

• Upvote 1

Hi @RazerBlade,

I'm sorry you are not satisfied with the WiFi Pineapple.

I haven't been able to spend a lot of time on the WiFi Pineapple lately, because I was focusing on other Hak5 products. That's why you haven't seen any firmware or system module updates.

In terms of bugs, I am aware that some exist, but you should know that only a small subset of our users experience them, which make them hard to track down. Once I pick up the WiFi Pineapple again, I'm going to go over every Module (maybe one a week) and rid it of bugs and usability issues. I'll also be launching RCs to ensure that the shipped firmware upgrades are solid and "bug free(tm)".

For now though, I'm truly sorry you are unhappy with the current state of the WiFi Pineapple. I hope that over the next few weeks and months we can remedy this.

• Upvote 9

On 5/4/2017 at 9:14 PM, Sebkinne said:

Hi @RazerBlade,

I haven't been able to spend a lot of time on the WiFi Pineapple lately, because I was focusing on other Hak5 products. That's why you haven't seen any firmware or system module updates.

In terms of bugs, I am aware that some exist, but you should know that only a small subset of our users experience them, which make them hard to track down. Once I pick up the WiFi Pineapple again, I'm going to go over every Module (maybe one a week) and rid it of bugs and usability issues. I'll also be launching RCs to ensure that the shipped firmware upgrades are solid and "bug free(tm)".

For now though, I'm truly sorry you are unhappy with the current state of the WiFi Pineapple. I hope that over the next few weeks and months we can remedy this.

That's great news! As RazerBlade said I ordered nano and on 1.3 found using the GUI caused issues, pineap not working, recon freezing and causing the nano to get VERY hot. 

I stopped using the GUI completely as caused frustration and performance issues.  using standard airmon-ng cli was a far greater on performance, productivity and for temperature. Looking forward to trying the GUI again once you re-start up the dev and updates on it.

Love all the other products and use them all a lot - Keep up the great work!

On 5/4/2017 at 6:14 PM, Sebkinne said:

Hi @RazerBlade,

I love the products and I'm sure alot of them were sold so maybe it's time to hire another developer to help you out. Yea my nano  is also almost useless right now as well and I have the same issues :( you guys need to hire someone to work on each project not ditch the Main one (pineapple)that got you big because the rubber ducky got shown on Mr robot. I understand you want to Switch to rubber ducky while everyone's still talking about It but with as many people who bought this you need to hire some more people. 

Edited by lild4d
  • Upvote 2

On 5/4/2017 at 2:55 PM, RazerBlade said:

Hello there! 

I recently purchased my WiFi Pineapple after purchasing the Bash Bunny and the Rubber Ducky because the tools were excellent and well maintained. I thought it would be this great seamless experience with the pineapple as the other Hak5 devices but I was wrong. To begin with, the device and it's software is filled with bugs and the latest release was about 7 months ago! Of course the bugs may not break the device completely but it adds to a bad user experience where you realize you can't use a sdcard to install modules because of a kernel bug. Numerous bugs I have encountered are random shutdowns, recon stuck at 100%, pineap not starting or stopping and this is also present in many modules. This makes the device in a way useless because when you want to try to use because the bugs are always ruining the attack. Most of the bugs I have encountered are on the bugs tracker list and an ETA from Hak5 when the next firmware release would be highly appreciated! The problems may be hardware based but because the are already on the bug tracker list, I doubt it.

I have to agree that the vast majority of the time I have spent with my pineapples has been in troubleshooting, factory resetting, re-flashing, etc. The tool has great promise; but has never been stable for me in any true long term or feasible "deployment" sense. It has been fun to play with, while I'm not screaming at it for bugs I am fighting with; but I have never gotten any iteration to function in a consistent and stable way...and my first pineapple was a fon I built myself. So, I'm not talking about a passing fancy here. I've been involved with these things all the way up to the Mark V. Given my issues, and the fact that support for older models drops off very quickly, I just cant justify purchasing either of the newer models. Sad :(

• Upvote 2

Yep, my Nano is pretty useless to me right now with such erratic behaviour. Where is the product support? No updates provided in months and so unstable, 75% of my time is spent fault finding rather than playing with the product. Seems pretty worthless to me. When you consider it's sold as a tactical field device, it seems pretty ridiculous. How could this be used in the field when it's so unreliable. You would get home every time to find no data or it had locked up! I only bought it for experimenting at home, but it's just a nano doorstop right now.

How a product can be sold like this with so many bugs and no with no proactive work be provided to iron out these bugs is beyond me.

Can someone recommend a stable firmware please.

Alternatively, if as stated above only a small subset of your users experience bugs perhaps I could have my unit replaced with one that works in the same manner as the large subset who dont experience bugs!

• Upvote 2

Can't even delete modules now!

Come on guys, step up the mark, perhaps you should focus on getting the products you have already sold to customers in decent shape before turning your back on them to focus on bringing in more money with the next product.

Alternatively, if you dont provide after sales support could you provide me with a product thats stable out of the box.

• Upvote 2

Just now, gixxa said:

Can't even delete modules now!

Come on guys, step up the mark, perhaps you should focus on getting the products you have already sold to customers in decent shape before turning your back on them to focus on bringing in more money with the next product.

Alternatively, if you dont provide after sales support could you provide me with a product thats stable out of the box.

I do face occasional issues when using the GUI and it usually can be solve either by a power reset or factory reset. Sometimes Recon scan will hang at 100%, other times PineAP will not work as intended. 

Generally SSH into the device will offer a more reliable experience. Furthermore with the console mode you are able to debug what exactly is wrong. 

Also when you are facing too many issues it could be that the firmware wasnt updated properly, thus a firmware recovery might come handy.

Edited by esa
  • Upvote 2

Really appreciate that esa, I'll give that a go.

Maybe console is the way forward.

I'll treat it to another firmware flash aswell, it's had a few but maybe its been hit and miss whether it's installed correctly.

On 5/14/2017 at 5:49 AM, gixxa said:

Really appreciate that esa, I'll give that a go.

Maybe console is the way forward.

I'll treat it to another firmware flash aswell, it's had a few but maybe its been hit and miss whether it's installed correctly.

Out of curiosity, are you running with an SD card installed?  It sounds weird ... but when you do your reset, keep the SD card out of it. Also, try reformatting the SD card as if it were the first time you were going to use it with the pineapple.

The only time I've had real issues with my Nano is with SD cards ... 

Shot in the dark ... but worth a shot.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/05/2017 at 10:57 PM, b0N3z said:

Well I have 2 pineapple nano's and a tetra and while I have had a couple problems here or there, all three devices have worked great anytime I have need them too.  The pineapple firmware was put on hold for a bit because of the openwrt/lede software and Seb has been waiting to decide if they will keep Openwrt or use LEDE.  Seb confirmed last week that they will stick with openwrt and now that the bashbunny firmware has made some progress, im sure there will be a firmware update soon.  

I hope that it is the case that the firmware will be updated soon. I also have placed a post about the Pineapple nano not functioning properly ( probably a bug) as when I have tried to deauth clients numerous times, it states "Please start PineAP and try again"!

As stated by Razor, it renders this kit useless if it can't deauth as you cannot then capture clients properly and get going with it.

Cheers for listening.

On 05/05/2017 at 2:14 AM, Sebkinne said:

Hi @RazerBlade,

Cheers for your Postive approach.

I have also experienced issues with the main module in particular - that being the PineAp in conjunction with Recon.

After running Recon and obtaining the stations and then placing the SSID's and MAC addresses in both the PineAp and Filters, I have tried to deauth any of the SSID's and it came back with the error :   "Please start PineAP and try again". It seems to negate the last 3 options when you deauth, as I have just checked the PineAP prior to the deauth launch and all the ticks where in place especially the last 3 which are:  Capture SSID's to Pool  :  Beacon Response  :  Broadcast SSID Pool.

These 3 get unchecked once you deauth on it rendering the nano useless tbh.

Because this is so important, can you look at this first.  The fact that the other modules when saved to sdcard dont work properly should be further down on the list, as you can delete modules you've put into the pineapple to make way for a new one to try out - not ideal but still doable.

Best of luck on the updates,

• Upvote 1

On 14/05/2017 at 10:06 AM, gixxa said:

Yep, my Nano is pretty useless to me right now with such erratic behaviour. Where is the product support? No updates provided in months and so unstable, 75% of my time is spent fault finding rather than playing with the product. Seems pretty worthless to me. When you consider it's sold as a tactical field device, it seems pretty ridiculous. How could this be used in the field when it's so unreliable. You would get home every time to find no data or it had locked up! I only bought it for experimenting at home, but it's just a nano doorstop right now.

How a product can be sold like this with so many bugs and no with no proactive work be provided to iron out these bugs is beyond me.

Can someone recommend a stable firmware please.

Alternatively, if as stated above only a small subset of your users experience bugs perhaps I could have my unit replaced with one that works in the same manner as the large subset who dont experience bugs!

Yes me too, for the large subset lol  Read my post below. ;)

• Upvote 1

Hi by the way Hak5 is not a wall Mart if you want surport email them and if I get a auto reply go on and ask the right people I and a long time user of all there tools and I leave one nano on fulltfulltime as my captive portal

TTalking from experience once I talk to someone in person u can't rant they made me really happy after I got talking to a human...

So how do you usefully use the nano with all the bugs it has ?  Are you using command line instead of the GUI ?

By the way, its not my Rant but RazorBlades - see 1st post above

Edited by Miko
Not my Rant
  • Upvote 1

No one wants to complain willy nilly about Hak5. Most of their products are fine, and as somebody stated, the Pineapple is a great concept. Its just not working at the moment properly, so lets look forward to some updates pretty soon, in the bag :happy:

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/30/2017 at 10:30 AM, Miko said:

I've been experiencing the same issue as Miko, where any time I try to deauth a client, it gives me a red notification stating "Please start PineAP and try again".  I can go to the PineAP tab and reselect the check boxes, and confirm that PineAP is indeed started, only to go back to recon, and get the same failure trying to deauth any clients. Anybody have any advice on whether this failure is related to some type of user error, a bug in the firmware/module, or if there is some workaround to get deauth to actually function as expected?

I have also experienced issues with the main module in particular - that being the PineAp in conjunction with Recon.

After running Recon and obtaining the stations and then placing the SSID's and MAC addresses in both the PineAp and Filters, I have tried to deauth any of the SSID's and it came back with the error :   "Please start PineAP and try again". It seems to negate the last 3 options when you deauth, as I have just checked the PineAP prior to the deauth launch and all the ticks where in place especially the last 3 which are:  Capture SSID's to Pool  :  Beacon Response  :  Broadcast SSID Pool.

These 3 get unchecked once you deauth on it rendering the nano useless tbh.

• Upvote 1

On 5/4/2017 at 6:14 PM, Sebkinne said:

Hi @RazerBlade,

Can you give us a status update it's been a month and a half since that post pretty much and no news.

Thanks

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I feel your pain... i have been trying to get my Nano to work on-and-off for about a year now.  I get a few moments of joy when it is working, but after the first or second scan it just stops working.  I have swapped out several SD cards, flashed the firmware many times, and tried several computers.  Each thread I post ends after I post whatever logs are requested.

I think that everything works when it leaves the shop but components may deteriorate when heated up by use.  I wish Hak5 had a support team instead of croudsourcing it.

UPDATE 30 JUL:  Tracked down Seb at DEF CON, Hak5 stands behind their products... I appreciate the help

Edited by coyotlgw
update
  • Upvote 3