General TETRA Discussion

Whistle Master

I also love my Tetra.

Not forgetting the mention of pineapple core by Darren, which would allow combining a Tetra or Nano with a BashBunny. Im guessing this could allow for handing processor intensive tasks off to the BashBunny along with some extra storage. Should also give the pineapple some extra life/longevity.

Plus what you learn on a Tetra will almost certainly be transferable to the next model if/as/when.

Edited by Just_a_User

Hey guys, I bought a wifi pineapple tetra and I have a question about the Ethernet cable.

Can I use the Ethernet cable to connect pineapple with my computer instead of using the y cable in the eth port or do I need to use them together?

I only ask because I used the y cable and mains adapter to power the pineapple and run through the setup, however when I remove the y cable and use an Ethernet cable and run the wp6.sh script on linux it says eth0 interface can't be found.

Is this normal behaviour for the tetra?

for the wp6.sh to work you have to use the y cable from the micro usb port. The RJ-45 is for connecting to you router and then once you do that find the IP address your router has supplied to the Tetra and login in to the web interface from that IP instead of 172.16.42.1.   I have not connected the Ethernet cable directly to my computer because its easier to use the usb cable and I dont think that is what the RJ-45 is for.  I have my Tetra setup on my router with a static address that way I dont have to find the ip.  If its connected to the router then you dont need to use the wp6.sh because the router provides internet.  the wp6.sh is for when you have it plugged in via usb and want your pc to share internet with the tetra.

Ahh ok thank you for clearing that up, so i don't really need an Ethernet cable going from my  computer to the RJ-45 port on the pineapple.

If i am using the y cable to power the pineapple over the USB, is it still best to use the wall adapter as well for better stability?

Because when using just the y cable on its own the pineapple seems to reboot on its own constantly and the interface freezes as i notice only the blue LED is blinking and the interface has frozen indicating it's going through a reboot i didn't initiate. So it seems like by just using the y cable there is not enough stability but if i use the y cable (for the wp6.sh script) and wall adapter everything seems to work fine.

I have had many pineapples - mark 2, mark 4, mark 5, mark 6 nano and this is my first time using the tetra so i am unsure if this is normal behavior

2 hours ago, SystemCrash86 said:

Ahh ok thank you for clearing that up, so i don't really need an Ethernet cable going from my  computer to the RJ-45 port on the pineapple.

Not at all.

2 hours ago, SystemCrash86 said:

If i am using the y cable to power the pineapple over the USB, is it still best to use the wall adapter as well for better stability?

Because when using just the y cable on its own the pineapple seems to reboot on its own constantly and the interface freezes as i notice only the blue LED is blinking and the interface has frozen indicating it's going through a reboot i didn't initiate. So it seems like by just using the y cable there is not enough stability but if i use the y cable (for the wp6.sh script) and wall adapter everything seems to work fine.

Correct.  I use it with my linux box and also with my router back and forth.  No matter what I use the wall adapter to make sure it gets full power and functions to the fullest.  The Tetra needs 18-24w of power to function to the fullest.  if you use battery power then you can supply over that amount of wattage because the Tetra will only pull what it needs.  Remember V x A =  W.  So a 5v2a battery only supplies 10watts of power.

Thank you for all your help

This really cleared everything up for me and i am a bit relieved because i was using the wall adapter and the y cable at the same time and i was a little concerned of overloading the pineapple. But to know i can use them both together to use it to its fullest is a great help

Thanks

The sixth gen pineapples are my first venture into them and I understand the questioning of that because if im correct the older versions had a WAN and LAN port and you had to use the RJ45 for a connection to the computer.

Yes the mark 4 had a LAN and WAN port and the mark 5 also had a LAN port so to enable a connection to the computer and get an internet connection in order to set everything up.

So with me being new to the tetra, which is bigger and more powerful than any of the other pineapples i had previously i had to make sure i was doing it right

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Instead of creating a new post, I'm going to quasi-jack this one. Sorry;not sorry.

What's the best way to find the version of the tetra and the nano?

Hi,

I'm new to the pineapple, thus this could be a stupid question/problem:

when i run the wp6 script and then select the wireless card and the default gateway, it asks me to select the wifipineapple interface.

However, it does not find something although i have it plugged in via the y USB. I can also see it in ifconfig and even access the web interface.....

Thanks in advance ;)

hi,

i have recently purchased a WiFi Pineapple Tetra from hak5 shop. After setting it up (and flashing the latest firmware) I started trying it out. I gotta say that I am neither a professional it guy, nor a hacker - I merely wanted to mess around to see how secure my personal wifi at home is. So maybe this is totally on me and has nothing todo with the pineapple's setup and/or configuration... but anyway:

At first I connected the pineapple to my macbook. After several attempts to share the internet connection, I gave up and connected it to a laptop running the latest kali. Internet sharing works (or rather, used to work, but that is not the problem here), so I went on. 

When I start running PineAP or (plugin) Site Survey, the device reboots after a while (meaning within less than 20 minutes). Each and every time. I followed some of dks video tutorials meticulously, so there should be no error at my part. I also re-flashed the latest firmware in order to make up for possible configuration errors. Still, whenever I work with the pineapple, reboots happen. The interface does not notify me of this and simply stops responding after a while; when reloading, I have to login again and can work for another 15 minutes or so. 

Unfortunately, there was no EU compatible plug included, so I am exclusively running the pineapple via USB on my notebook or with the powerpack included in the package deal. So this should not be a problem wrong currents or anything like this either.

Since I live in Germany, I didn't just want to return the device because of high shipping fees. Maybe this problem can be solved with your help... I really hope so and appreciate every input.

Cheers =)

The tetra requires a lot of power, are you using both the y-cables it came with for both usb-micro ports?  I normally find I use a couple battery packs on one y-cable and then use two usb ports on the computer, sometimes just one port on the computer and a third battery pack.  Otherwise travel plugs to adapt the US plug are pretty cheap.

Um... I got one y-cable which is plugged into two USB ports on my computer and then the ETH1 microport on the pineapple. Which usually works, but only for a certain amount of time (usually about 20 minutes into working with the tetra it reboots). 

I have also bought a 12V/2A European plug that would (or should) work but didn't try it out yet because in case there is already something wrong with my tetra I didn't want to damage it any further... Would I just use the regular plug on 12V/2A and still connect via the y-cable (but only use one of the two USB plugs) or should I use a regular USB to micro USB cable then?

Is there any way to determine whether or not something is wrong with my device using the logfiles (or another method)? I am not sure about US return policies but I guess in case something is actually wrong with my pineapple, I should know asap so I could still get an intact replacement in time.

Im thinking that your not getting enough power to run Site Survey and PineAP with what you described.  The Tetra requires 18-24w of power so just you pc is probably not enough.  2x 5v2.4a connections are needed or the 12v2a wall plug.  I would try the wall plug and yes also connect one usb cable from eth1usb to the pc.  That should hopefully fix your reboot problem.

ICS on mac is not as easy as linux but maybe a little easier than windows.  

Find my post in this thread and it will help you with ICS on mac.  for ICS on kali ive had some problems lately with kali not wanting to have both eth0 and eth1(pineapple) on at the same time, so the wp6.sh is a little harder to setup.  

• Upvote 1

Named it the Pineapple because the first version they made, they put in a plastic pineapple and was more of a novelty item and then enough people inquired about making one or buying one that they started using availible hardware like portable routers to flash the pineapple software too.  Then with the Mark V they made there own device and the Nano and Tetra are the 6th generation of the pineapple.  The tetra has 2.4ghz and 5ghz capability where the MarkV only has 2.4ghz.   This is what i have gathered from the hak5 videos.

Hi, 

My connection sharing with linux box works fine. But I would like to connect ethernet canble directly to Tetra to provide n/w connectivity. I assume we need to change n/w gateway settings on the pineapple side after we connect the cable. The Network configuration tab doesn't allow to change anything. Is there any different config file for this ?

You dont need to change anything. Just connect the RJ45 cable and log into the webui with the ip:1471 your router gives the pineapple or you can still plug in the usb cable to reach 172.16.42.1:1471 without having to run the wp6.sh script.  

I don't like math so I don't even attempt the calculations for wattage, plus those specs for usb connections are variable from what i've found with a usb amp detection device from system to system same specs.

There was an entire thread about running the tetra from battery packs that they included on the initial shipment and it rebooting periodically.  This was solved for me by having 4 anker battery packs with above 4amp output ratings attached to two y-cables (also included on initial shipments out), plus I can run my tetra for almost 48 hours continuously (real life testing) with the amount of mAh I have available on the packs combined.  They change what they include on the packs, so what is listed on the site when you order is what you are going to get and I haven't checked it in a while so I was just going off what i got in my order.

I really don't think there is anything physically wrong with your tetra, like b0N3z said it's probably just not getting enough power from the computer.  The 12v2a plug plus the y-cable to your system should be more than enough I would think.

Also great thing about the tetra is the ethernet port for internet connection, makes it so easy to do.  I normally don't do ICS because no OS really does it right IMO.  If I don't have a ethernet to plug into i fall back to adding a wifi adapter to the usb port and connecting it directly and changing the gateway in the networking section to the ip or gateway (varies on the different wifi networks i've connected to like hotels vs businesses vs home) of the wifi adapter.

• Upvote 1