Linux Box?

lividjava

I've had this idea on my mind for a little while but the more i think about it the more it seems redundant just want a second opinion

I want a small box thats small enough to fit in my bag and carry around with me, no markings or anything of that sort just a "black box" if you will. it runs linux with no GUI i wanna make it run Kali distro. and then from there just an SSH box to carry around with me. I mainly use Windows but having linux available seems good again the more i think of it the more redundant it seems.

any comments? i wanna expand on it but mentally exhausted today

For smaller devices, check out the kali arm support page - https://www.offensive-security.com/kali-linux-arm-images/

If you want to go headless, you'd have to set that up so the device can be controlled remotely and not boot to the gui by default. By default, SSH is not enabled to be remotely logged into the device, so you'll need a screen attached to get things working first and can go headless later. This would be the same for pretty much any distro though, since you still need to install it and configure everything to make itself available to remote control.

Kali should also run on any small device that supports the same chipsets and architecture of the images on the link above, which are probably more devices from third parties not listed, but those are the official ones tested and supported.

Maybe I'm missing something but why not just run Kali in a VM on your laptop?  Then you always have it with you.  If you need to sniff wifi just carry an external usb wifi card.  I always have a few Linux VMs and a usb alfa card on me.  Never have time to use it but it's with me. 

5 hours ago, Bob123 said:

Maybe I'm missing something but why not just run Kali in a VM on your laptop?  Then you always have it with you.  If you need to sniff wifi just carry an external usb wifi card.  I always have a few Linux VMs and a usb alfa card on me.  Never have time to use it but it's with me. 

Mainly so he can deploy it, leave it, and remote into it to recon networks, etc. or have it scan wifi, do automatic attacks, gather data over wifi, without having to sit at a machine, it's all working from say, his coat pocket while he walks around. many scenarios where small deployable box is used, and many pentest companies might even mail one to a client to plug into their network, if only for remote pentesting in places that they don't have clearance to enter physically, but do so for air-gapped networks that still need security testing for regulations or compliance.