Yagi Antena Pineapple Nano

sbb

For the nano, which antenna would be best replace with a yagi antenna? I understand that one is used for sending and the other receiving but I am not sure which one actually does what in order to replace it.

Could anyone tell me which side of the nano a single yagi antenna would work best in?

24 minutes ago, sbb said:

For the nano, which antenna would be best replace with a yagi antenna? I understand that one is used for sending and the other receiving but I am not sure which one actually does what in order to replace it.

Could anyone tell me which side of the nano a single yagi antenna would work best in?

Depends on your needs.

By default (using GUI) wlan0 is responsible for AP while wlan1 does sniffing and injection.

If you want to create a free rogue AP, then connect to wlan0. If you want to monitor/sniff then connect to wlan1.

If you want to deauth a device and force it to connect to your AP, then you will need both.

• Upvote 1

Totally agree. It really depends on your needs.

I ran an experiment in my neighborhood once. .... Nothing illegal .....

Just remember the Yagi antenna is like a sniper rifle ... its better for sending long range packets than it is at receiving them as its likely your "victim" will not have a high gain antenna strong enough to get reliable signals back to you.

• Upvote 1

On 25.4.2017 at 3:33 PM, sbb said:

I understand that one is used for sending and the other receiving...

I felt the need to say that this is somewhat wrong. Both are used for sending/recieving.
When using wlan0 to broadcast, you also need to be able to recieve packets.
If you are broadcasting a fake AP 2000 meters, you would not be able to see any probe-requests from the clients that are 2000 meters away, because their antennas can only transmit that far. If they all had a Yagi pointed towards you, then it'd be fine and dandy.

This is why i mostly use Yagi's on both the client and the AP, to transmit a AP far away.
Or you could probably use it together with some parts of mdk3, as a "sniper-rifle".

On the Pineapples i prefer using a strong omni-directional antenna. (+8 dBi or more)

Edited by Zylla