Hi. No internet connection in pineapple. Also, do i need both usb connections? (I'm assuming that. But still.)

ev0lve

Hi. Good that this forum exists. ;) People with experience on here.

I am trying this in windows for a start. It's always some issues in the network in windows. ;) When i set up my pineapple for the first time, i had a VPN on. And i do not know if that made the pineapple to boot up and set up the wrong details in it or not?

If so, maybe i can try and do a factory reset. 

Right now i got the pineapple set to 172.16.42.42

And has user sharing on my Ethernet settings.

But i cant get no internet when i load bulletins in pineapple. Another thing i'm curious about. If i theoretically let someone else use my internet through the pineapple and my internet. Can i use openVPN with that, so that they browse with a VPN ip. but i can still intercept everything normal? Does that work? If so how?

But first i need to get the internet working. Thanks allot.

edit: Also. Do i need to have both usb connections plugged in? If so, which i'm guessing, i can use windows. Was gonna use linux, but i use a usb stick, and i only have two usb ports on my laptop.

On 23/04/2017 at 4:12 AM, ev0lve said:

Hi. Good that this forum exists. ;) People with experience on here.

I am trying this in windows for a start. It's always some issues in the network in windows. ;) When i set up my pineapple for the first time, i had a VPN on. And i do not know if that made the pineapple to boot up and set up the wrong details in it or not?

If so, maybe i can try and do a factory reset. 

Right now i got the pineapple set to 172.16.42.42

And has user sharing on my Ethernet settings.

But i cant get no internet when i load bulletins in pineapple. Another thing i'm curious about. If i theoretically let someone else use my internet through the pineapple and my internet. Can i use openVPN with that, so that they browse with a VPN ip. but i can still intercept everything normal? Does that work? If so how?

But first i need to get the internet working. Thanks allot.

edit: Also. Do i need to have both usb connections plugged in? If so, which i'm guessing, i can use windows. Was gonna use linux, but i use a usb stick, and i only have two usb ports on my laptop.

1) I can easily power my Nano without both usb connection plugged in. I connect it straight to my laptop.

2) It is a pain in the arse to get internet on Windows, somehow it always forget my settings. 

a) Ensure that you have internet

b) connect your pineapple to your pc and wait till the blue led are solid or the portal is up

c) On your main internet interface->properties->sharing turn off internet sharing and wait 10 sec. 

d) On the same tab select your pineapple interface and turn on internet sharing, wait 10 sec. Close tab by clicking ok.

e) On your pineapple interface -> properties -> networking select the IPv4 & enter the ip address 172.16.42.42/255.255.255.0.

f) Now you pineapple should have internet. Else disable your pineapple interface, enable it again and repeat steps (c) to (e)

So just a couple ideas here ...

Do you have a specific use case as to why you want to force everything to share your laptop? I assume you are wanting to capture traffic of some sort ...

One option you have is to bypass the need to share the internet through your laptop all together. You could use the usb port with a cheap USB radio. This will allow you to connect the wifi to a hotspot just as any other client would connect to wifi. The pineapple will then share that internet out. Obviously, this setup wont work for every situation. Maybe there are no open hotspots for example ... However, if you are simply just trying to get it setup, then that might be an easier way to go.

Another option you have in using the above setup, is the arpspoof a specific client. This would allow you to be just another client on the network rather than the "router" for all of the traffic. This wont work well when doing mass collection (say you want to eavesdrop on 7 clients at once) - but its a quick and dirty way to target a specific client

Second, the VPN question

Long story short This will only work if you are actually sharing the internet through your laptop. I am |assuming| the VPN you are referring to is an SSL client side VPN as opposed to an IPSEC VPN established with an edge device (your router as an example). In the case of your laptop serving as the VPN, then yes, in theory it would work. Your laptop is essentially acting as a later 2/3 next hop to all the clients downstream of the pineapple. This means the stack on the laptop should force all that traffic out the interface that then "next hops" into the VPN. In other words the encrypted traffic is between your laptop and the internet, NOT the victim to the internet.

One thing to keep in mind: In windows, the traffic between the stack and the interface may be encrypted as well. This means to sniff traffic you may need to be a client on your pineapple. That may not be true as I havent tried this example through windows. I'd be curious to know what you find out.

One way you could test this is with a tracert. Or, simply connecting a "victim" to your pineapple and pulling a "whatismyip" site. If you see the http call to the site on your laptop by sniffing the traffic AND if the "victim" reports an IP that is through the VPN, then it's working!