Arp Spoofing turned Dos?

Pipe to Grep

I ran an Arp Spoof attack against my win 10 system and the only thing that happened was denial of service. 

I had two shells open on my kali linux VM one with arpspoof -i wlan0 -t 192.168.1.1 -r 192.168.1.1 and the other with arpspoof -i wlan0 -t 192.168.1.1 -r 192.168.1.105. 

When I initiate the attack, both the computer being attacked (x.x.x.105) as well as the the gateway IP lose service. My other PC's still maintained internet. When I say gateway, I mean the router settings pages. It goes to page can't be resolved or whatever. 

This is common. Specifically on physical switched networks. Wifi, is a little more lenient with this kind of attack for sitting between two targets and works better when the you are closer to the router than the victim. In a wired network, this can cause issues. Also, if a system uses static entries in it's arp table, this will make things stop working.

However, make sure you have IP forward set to 1 for the arp spoofing. Enabling arpspoof without it, could also cause things to stop working. In the past you would do something like 

echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
But not 100% sure that's still valid. You'd also echo a 0 into the file, to disable. Now, with systemd, you might need to use something like:
sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_forward=1

and 0 to disable as well. If it comes back with no file and shows you the path, copy it, and run the first command I showed at the top with the path sysctl shows you to use and that should work.

6 hours ago, digip said:

This is common. Specifically on physical switched networks. Wifi, is a little more lenient with this kind of attack for sitting between two targets and works better when the you are closer to the router than the victim. In a wired network, this can cause issues. Also, if a system uses static entries in it's arp table, this will make things stop working.

However, make sure you have IP forward set to 1 for the arp spoofing. Enabling arpspoof without it, could also cause things to stop working. In the past you would do something like 

echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

But not 100% sure that's still valid. You'd also echo a 0 into the file, to disable. Now, with systemd, you might need to use something like:

sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_forward=1

and 0 to disable as well. If it comes back with no file and shows you the path, copy it, and run the first command I showed at the top with the path sysctl shows you to use and that should work.

Thanks, I'll try the attack on my old vista which isn't hard wired to the router. Will the attack work on a chromebook (OOTB)?

3 minutes ago, digininja said:

Why are you doing this?

arpspoof -i wlan0 -t 192.168.1.1 -r 192.168.1.1

That will spoof 192.168.1.1 to itself because of the -t and to itself again because of the -r

That was in the tutorial by Ermin Kreponic. If this is wrong he might have fixed it in the next 5 minutes. oops

You should never run a command without understanding what it is doing. Look at the man page for arpspoof and it will explain what the flags mean and what the IP addresses are representing.

2 minutes ago, digininja said:

You should never run a command without understanding what it is doing. Look at the man page for arpspoof and it will explain what the flags mean and what the IP addresses are representing.

I agree 100%. I never want to be a script kiddie, but I gave it the benefit of the doubt. 

On 4/20/2017 at 3:46 PM, digininja said:

Why are you doing this?

arpspoof -i wlan0 -t 192.168.1.1 -r 192.168.1.1

That will spoof 192.168.1.1 to itself because of the -t and to itself again because of the -r

You know, i didn't even catch that part in his first post. Good catch.

Just now, digininja said:

I noticed it in the email but didn't have access to a man page to check it so didn't want to say anything straight away just in case it was correct usage.

Yeah, for whatever reason, I see when doing arp spoof, you put the gateway and target in one console, and the reverse in another. Totally missed he was arping the gateway against itself. That in itself will kill things..lol.