PineAP and WEP/WPA Access Points: Is it a thing?

hashrocket

So, as you may have guessed I just received my Tetra and have been eager to try it out. I noticed that open access points are definitely able to be spoofed by PineAP, but it looks like things aren't so easy when trying to fool a client into connecting to what once was a WEP/WPA encrypted AP. I've been testing against my Netgear router's open and encrypted wifi APs, and trying to change the name or deauthing clients and such. The open AP works fine, but the one that requires a login does not.

I'm guessing that this is just normal behavior? I'm kinda thinking it is. ;)

Welcome to the Pineapple :)

Although its possible to spoof protected AP it isn’t part of the PineAP and needs to be crafted individually at the moment. The protected AP  needs to be set up identically to the original including its password which you would usually not know by just running passive network scans.

Edited by Just_a_User
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, hashrocket said:

So, as you may have guessed I just received my Tetra and have been eager to try it out. I noticed that open access points are definitely able to be spoofed by PineAP, but it looks like things aren't so easy when trying to fool a client into connecting to what once was a WEP/WPA encrypted AP. I've been testing against my Netgear router's open and encrypted wifi APs, and trying to change the name or deauthing clients and such. The open AP works fine, but the one that requires a login does not.

I'm guessing that this is just normal behavior? I'm kinda thinking it is. ;)

https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/40651-broadcasting-as-wpawpa2-ap

no module for it yet. but you could ssh into pineapple and create a WPA/WEP AP. modify the hostapd file accordingly for WPA/WEP.

WEP network still exist ? rarely see it around, 

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys! I appreciate the responses. I kind of thought that was the case, but i wasn't sure. That does explain a lot. I'm looking forward to seeing what all it can do. I've been a software engineer for a couple of decades, but would like to make the transition into network security. It seems to be a lot more fun, maybe it'd just be a good hobby. :)