Android to Nano without tethering ?

Cisco10K

Hello all!

I was curious if there is a way around connecting to the pineapple nano with my android without tethering?  I do not have a data plan or hotspot plan.  Actually , the phone is a spare not activated to any carrier.

I want to use Occupineapple just to  broadcast a protest message with different ssid's.  I have already tested and used it with my laptop however I would like to use my Android phone with the nano tactical so I don't have to have the laptop with me.

any suggestions? Is it possible?

thank you in advance 

Cisco10k

I feel disabling the nano's management wifi network makes reception and operation slightly better and also helps you avoid pineappling your own network/connection to the nano.

So for a solution without using wifi try looking for a OTG cable with power - I occasionally use mine like this as is allows the battery to power the pineapple and not drain the phone (depending on which cable).

If you were to use a normal OTG type cable combined with a charger cable (uUSB to uUSB) it would drain the phone battery and probably make the nano unstable.

Something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Micro-Cable-Power-Samsung-I9100/dp/B00C4521R4 some cables have no power connection to the phone at all some connect power to both pineapple and phone. decide what you prefer and give it a go.

EDIT - I should add that I use my nano in this config when using a 3g dongle connected to the nano - it provides internet to both nano and phone which is handy.

Edited by Just_a_User

Just_a_User, thank you.  I will order one of the cables recommended.  I swapped phone service from my iphone to a LG STYLO 2 (phone i was trying before with no service).  I see that when i connect it to the NANO it shows the phone  battery charging. Still a bit confused but I will figure it out eventually.  Thanks so much!

Cisco10k

even if you dont have data or a plan, you can make a hotspot with the android device and have a 3rd radio (wlan2) for the pineapple that connects to the hotspot.  Then you can access the webui with the phone.  you will need to power it with a battery.  Second option would be to set occupineapple up for start on boot, that way you dont have to worry about connecting it to anything. I will just automatically start broadcasting the ssid from occupineapple after starting up.  If you go with option 2 make sure you test it first.  Ive set things up for auto start and later turned them off not thinking about it and was shit up a creek when i remembered what i did and had no way to fix it until it got home.

Connecting to the mgmt access point or even the any of the occupinapple broadcasted access points of the Pineapple could pretty much give access to the web interface.

After connecting just go to 172.16.42.1:1471 or preset IP i.e 192.168.1.1:1471

20 hours ago, Cisco10K said:

Just_a_User, thank you.  I will order one of the cables recommended.  I swapped phone service from my iphone to a LG STYLO 2 (phone i was trying before with no service).  I see that when i connect it to the NANO it shows the phone  battery charging. Still a bit confused but I will figure it out eventually.  Thanks so much!

Cisco10k

By what you describe I think you connected nano to battery and USB charge cable from nano to phone? this would indeed put power through the nano and charge the phone which is also fine if that’s what works for you and what you want to achieve.

The lead I mentioned above allows fitting the other end of the nano to the phone while splicing in a power supply allowing the usb port on the nano to be used with something else such as a 3g dongle, gps or wifi adapter.

As with most things there are many ways to get a similar result.

Edited by Just_a_User

I thank you and all others for responding. Perhaps if I explain more clearly what I would like to do...

I have the nano tactical setup (battery pouch etc.)

I have been successful connecting and logging in with Kali Linux Laptop, setting a management AP as well as downloading occupineapple and creating a custom list.  It works great, however only if i start up from the laptop.

What i would like to do is have Occupineapple start on startup ( figured that out already) however have everything start up without the laptop. 

Seems that i have to connect with the USB cable in order to log in (root and password) in order for things to start...

Cant the nano be set up so that I can plug power to it ( no laptop) with battery, and it starts up and i can log in to the management AP and work with it without having to use the android connection app?

Ill keep trying... I dont give up easy. 

Thanks all

Cisco10k

I am kinda in the same boat on this one. I bought a cheap android phone (prepaid) and doesn't have service, only use it for WiFi. I don't know if its the phones limitation or what but there is no option to create a hot spot / tether on there, even though its running a new Android OS.

The only way I was able to do it without using a laptop was to connect to the management wifi on it. It is a rooted android phone, I will have to see if there is an app in the marketplace that might enable such feature.

46 minutes ago, Cisco10K said:

Cant the nano be set up so that I can plug power to it ( no laptop) with battery, and it starts up and i can log in to the management AP and work with it without having to use the android connection app?

Yes it can, when you initially set it up you were asked to enter a name for the managment wifi with a password. find this network on your phone and join, entering the password you used. then open the phones browser and browse to http://172.16.42.1:1471 to get to the pineapple web UI. Everything is the same but the pineapple has no internet access.

The connection app and tethering is only really used to share the mobile phones data connection combined with access to the pineapple UI.

Edited by Just_a_User

3 hours ago, sbb said:

I am kinda in the same boat on this one. I bought a cheap android phone (prepaid) and doesn't have service, only use it for WiFi. I don't know if its the phones limitation or what but there is no option to create a hot spot / tether on there, even though its running a new Android OS.

The only way I was able to do it without using a laptop was to connect to the management wifi on it. It is a rooted android phone, I will have to see if there is an app in the marketplace that might enable such feature.

Depending on the carrier of the phone that option wont be enabled.  if you root the phone you can add a line to the build.prop that will allow you to make a hotspot on your phone.  Or you can use the Management AP on the pineapple itself to access the pineapple.