Bash Bunny Melting

jafahulo

Just a warning to all out there.. Don't leave your bb plugged in for too long. I left mine plugged into my laptop, and when I got back from lunch my bash bunny had shut off and the case has bubbled/warped in a spot, giving off a burnt plastic scent. The metal for the usb port would've burned me had I continued touching it.

I'll report if it still works when I plug it in a few hours after it's cooled down...

I wondered what would happen if it stayed plugged in too long.  I noticed it gets warn really fast when I have it plugged in.  I also noticed some off the videos of it exposed and it has a heat sink on but would need air flow (vents like you mentioned) for the heat sink to serve any purpose but I guess it would buy you some time.  Thanks for the warning.  Confirms my suspicions.

• Upvote 1

I accidentally left mine plugged in for 8hrs last night and unplugged it this morning and it was warm but not melted by any means.

So mine was plugged into a 3 foot usb extension cable because my pc is not very easy to get to.  so that might make a difference  

1 minute ago, b0N3z said:

So mine was plugged into a 3 foot usb extension cable because my pc is not very easy to get to.  so that might make a difference  

hmm, probably. Mine was plugged directly in to the port on the laptop. That suggests that the heat that's melting the bb is coming from the computer.

6 minutes ago, Fang_Shadow said:

plug it into a port not next to the heat vent on the laptop, or use the extender that came with the BB.

That is a good thing to do, and I totally recommend it. Unfortunately, my bb was not near the heat vent. I probably should be using the extender though.

I've left mine in for a while day in Arming mode, and once for a few hours while serving a webserver for my work. Hasn't overheated. Gets warm but doesn't melt.

Mind you, since the 1.1 update the payloads have a timeout and therefore since they do not do anything they cannot overheat...

If you watch the video before 1.1 was released. @Sebkinne has one without the case on it and has what looks like rpi heatsinks on the processor and mabye something else.

13 hours ago, b0N3z said:

If you watch the video before 1.1 was released. @Sebkinne has one without the case on it and has what looks like rpi heatsinks on the processor and mabye something else.

Yeah, I've opened mine up so that I can drill holes in the case, and there's a heat spreading gel in there. no heat sink though..

Edited by jafahulo

The Bash Bunny should not overheat under normal conditions. The Bash Bunny has a some heat dispersing gel on some of the chips, a heatsink is not required (the units in seen in the video are pre-production units to which I badly soldered some serial leads). There should be no need to drill holes in the case.

I have also made this PSA before, but putting the Bash Bunny into a new case can be risky because of the high heat. 3D printing for example is probably not a good idea as that will most likely melt or warp under normal operating temperature.

Saying that, if your Bash Bunny melted, that's probably due to a hardware defect and it should be exchanged (https://hakshop.com/contact). We'll of course replace them.

8 hours ago, Sebkinne said:

The Bash Bunny should not overheat under normal conditions. The Bash Bunny has a some heat dispersing gel on some of the chips, a heatsink is not required (the units in seen in the video are pre-production units to which I badly soldered some serial leads). There should be no need to drill holes in the case.

I have also made this PSA before, but putting the Bash Bunny into a new case can be risky because of the high heat. 3D printing for example is probably not a good idea as that will most likely melt or warp under normal operating temperature.

Saying that, if your Bash Bunny melted, that's probably due to a hardware defect and it should be exchanged (https://hakshop.com/contact). We'll of course replace them.

awesome, thanks! I submitted a request.