Crunch

undersc0re

I am looking to create a crunch .txt file with the following parameters. I want a 12 digit password always starting with 2511 and the following 8 digits to be random. I would like the text files created to be 200mb or less. Is this possible with crunch? I can not seem to get crunch to spit this out in kali, would it be easier with a different program? Thanks for your help.

I figured it out using the examples in the manual and assuming you wanted to use all alpha-numeric, special characters to append to 2511.

Do you have 76 PB of storage to hold the list? :lol:

root@kali:~# crunch 12 12 -o START -b 200mb -f /usr/share/crunch/charset.lst mixalpha-numeric-all-space -t 2511@@@@@@@@
Crunch will now generate the following amount of data: 86244656067578125 bytes
82249313418 MB
80321595 GB
78439 TB
76 PB
Crunch will now generate the following number of lines: 6634204312890625 

Yes I was just looking for the simple one with numeral digits following 2511, our local provider of internet service with their router usually sets default password of 2511 followed by 8 more random numbers most of the time, sometimes those 8 numbers have uppercase letters in the mix. My router uses numbers only and so does my parents and my friends, I just wanted to test my router to see how hard it would be for someone to come by or maybe a curious neighbour to hack into and borrow some of my internetfor evil purposes. I imagine the most common way would be for them to just capture a handshake and throw an easy passwordlist at it. I already tested other possible ways against my router such as pixiedust attack with both bully and reaver, (it seems the internet provider has protection for that now), and common passwordlists. I figure no one in their right mind would waste their time with a password list with 2511 and 8 alpha numeric following after that so I though just numerals involved would be a quick shot for someone, of course my router is hidden from the front door and any windows viewing access lol.

Thanks for your help, I will give that a shot next time I fire up the kali persistence usb stick! Glad I purchased a good one with lots of available memory!

Ok, couldn't resist, grabbed the family laptop and fired up kali, crunch spit out what I wanted as .txt files when I entered that exact command! I think I was trying to tell it the filename I wanted when I tried it before or sumthin. It works great now, and fast as heck, thanks for sharing your knowledge with me! 

• 2 months later...
On 4/8/2017 at 9:27 AM, Mr-Protocol said:

If you wanted just numbers appended.

root@kali:~# crunch 12 12 -o START -b 200mb -t 2511%%%%%%%%
Crunch will now generate the following amount of data: 1300000000 bytes
1239 MB
1 GB
0 TB
0 PB
Crunch will now generate the following number of lines: 100000000 

I am having difficulty trying something a little more specific. I am trying to do the following, I still want the password file made to start at 2511 all the time and have total of 12 characters, but I want the fifth character to be 4,5,or6 and the sixth character to be a letter but only from A to F(uppercase only) the seventh character always a zero and the rest random numbers. For example 25115F037493 or 25116A094738. I can not seem to make sense of the man page to make this work for spitting out the proper file. Any help would be muchly appreciated!

11 hours ago, haze1434 said:

I wouldn't use Crunch any more; creating either rainbow tables or files with passwords stored in them is a bit deprecated nowadays.

Use Hashcat with masks.

Crunch can be used inline as well, no need to write output to file, can be used within a script for fuzzing specific fields on the fly, which it is very fast at. Hashcat works best with GPU cracking, and not saying don't go that route, but crunch is a very powerful tool as well when used in a script or piped into other tools.

10 hours ago, digip said:

Crunch can be used inline as well, no need to write output to file, can be used within a script for fuzzing specific fields on the fly, which it is very fast at. Hashcat works best with GPU cracking, and not saying don't go that route, but crunch is a very powerful tool as well when used in a script or piped into other tools.

Seems I need to do some reading up! Cheers.

On 4/8/2017 at 10:59 AM, undersc0re said:

Yes I was just looking for the simple one with numeral digits following 2511, our local provider of internet service with their router usually sets default password of 2511 followed by 8 more random numbers most of the time, sometimes those 8 numbers have uppercase letters in the mix. My router uses numbers only and so does my parents and my friends, I just wanted to test my router to see how hard it would be for someone to come by or maybe a curious neighbour to hack into and borrow some of my internetfor evil purposes. I imagine the most common way would be for them to just capture a handshake and throw an easy passwordlist at it. I already tested other possible ways against my router such as pixiedust attack with both bully and reaver, (it seems the internet provider has protection for that now), and common passwordlists. I figure no one in their right mind would waste their time with a password list with 2511 and 8 alpha numeric following after that so I though just numerals involved would be a quick shot for someone, of course my router is hidden from the front door and any windows viewing access lol.

What cable provider is this? I know Xfinity 6/10 times will setup their routers with the users home phone number as the password. I've created wordlists for every area code in Massachusetts, and I've been super successful with those. My favorite thing to do at neighborhood cookouts is scare the crap out of neighbors when I show them how easy it is to crack most WiFi. I'd be interested to know the habits of other cable providers as well.

6 minutes ago, Decoy said:

What cable provider is this? I know Xfinity 6/10 times will setup their routers with the users home phone number as the password. I've created wordlists for every area code in Massachusetts, and I've been super successful with those. My favorite thing to do at neighborhood cookouts is scare the crap out of neighbors when I show them how easy it is to crack most WiFi. I'd be interested to know the habits of other cable providers as well.

That's more a common practice with the people they hire to do installs. Common among all ISP's and their contractors, they generally will set the password to somethign simple for the end user to remember like their phone number, part serial # and mac address or something similarly related to numbers on the modem and their phone. Our neighbors at my old apartment were on DSL and their password was the last 4 of their phone and part of the modem's serial. I've seen this on Verizon and Comcast, the two main ISP's in our area, and at the time the AT&T DSL the neighbors had which I don't even know if it still exists. This was 10 years ago or so.

• 2 weeks later...

It is a large provider in Canada that uses this pattern on just one of their wireless modem models. I use password files because I do not have a gpu on my cheap laptop and it is very limited with its old cpu and ram, so I try to increase performance by making password files on my persistence stick to save ram and cpu resources, I honestly have no idea if that helps as I have not compared other ways against my method, It took me a while but I have my pwd file figured out now...trial and error. I have managed to convince many local people to change their wireless passwords, especially when I tell them what can happen when some devious young kid plays on their home network when they connect to it...

Edited by undersc0re

On 7/8/2017 at 10:13 AM, undersc0re said:

It is a large provider in Canada that uses this pattern on just one of their wireless modem models. I use password files because I do not have a gpu on my cheap laptop and it is very limited with its old cpu and ram, so I try to increase performance by making password files on my persistence stick to save ram and cpu resources, I honestly have no idea if that helps as I have not compared other ways against my method, It took me a while but I have my pwd file figured out now...trial and error. I have managed to convince many local people to change their wireless passwords, especially when I tell them what can happen when some devious young kid plays on their home network when they connect to it...

The laptop, has to have a GPU in order for you to see what is on the screen, just doesn't mean it's a compatible one for password cracking. You can still brute force passwords with the CPU or, use wordlists, which I often use since they usually work for most things I'm going like CTF's with easily guessed passwords. For WPA2 stuff, you could go rainbow tables, but you'd need a lot of storage space to store the precomputed hashes and this only works for tables pre-made with the corresponding SSID, so not suitable for most of todays stuff.