Bash Bunny Firmware 1.1 - Payload Timeout [Solved]

qdba

I'm still running in the payload timeout after 1 Minute.

So I did some investigation about it.  
I made the attached  payload.txt for testing.
I put the command logger "#### Start Test payload #### at the beginning of the payload and   
logger "#### End Test payload ####" at the end. So I can examine the syslog what happens during ten payload run.

After approx. 1:30 min bunny.service is running into a timeout

Apr  6 09:56:52 bunny logger: #### Loop Test payload ####
Apr  6 09:56:54 bunny logger: #### Loop Test payload ####
Apr  6 09:56:56 bunny logger: #### Loop Test payload ####
Apr  6 09:56:58 bunny systemd[1]: bunny.service start operation timed out. Terminating.
Apr  6 09:56:58 bunny systemd[1]: Failed to start bunny.service.
Apr  6 09:56:58 bunny systemd[1]: Unit bunny.service entered failed state.
Apr  6 09:56:58 bunny systemd[1]: Starting Multi-User System.
Apr  6 09:56:58 bunny systemd[1]: Reached target Multi-User System.
Apr  6 09:56:59 bunny systemd[1]: Startup finished in 2.366s (kernel) + 1min 34.343s (userspace) = 1min 36.710s.

The result of the command systemctl show bunny.service |grep Timeout is

TimeoutStartUSec=1min 30s
TimeoutStopUSec=1min 30s
JobTimeoutUSec=0

Guess this is the reason for the payload timeout. 
Can anybody confirm this?

I willl do more investigations

syslog

payload.txt

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

OK got it.....

I insert the value

TimeoutSec=5min

under the [Service] section of file /lib/systemd/system/bunny.service 
Now it works with a timeout of 5 min. (see attached syslog.solved_5min_Timeout)

Be carefully, I'm not responsible for any damage of the bunny :-)

@Darren Kitchen @Sebkinne If you agree (because its part of Firmware) I can make a payload who will patch this.

syslog.solved_5min_Timeout

Edited by qdba

With a Hi Sebkinne,

Nice, can't wait for 1.2. 

I think the idea with a payload timeout is not so bad. :wink: . With a special LED state we know if it make sense to wait for a payload to finish or not. 

Edited by qdba

17 minutes ago, qdba said:

With a Hi Sebkinne,

Nice, can't wait for 1.2. 

I think the idea with a payload timeout is not so bad. :wink: . With a special LED state we know if it make sense to wait for a payload to finish or not. 

Setting a hard timeout means that we have to decide on a ceiling number and I don't really want to limit payload developers. If you want to make a payload that runs for days, that should be possible without getting killed.. Other than that, we could check the return code of a payload and inform the user that there was an issue.

hi sebkinne

I changed the bunny_framework and changed the hop command at the last line to hop &

Payload does not work and when I boot in arming mode the blue Led stop blinking and goes off after a few seconds.  I can login in serial mode. 

can you confirm?

I will so some more investigation and give you some logs.

9 hours ago, qdba said:

hi sebkinne

I changed the bunny_framework and changed the hop command at the last line to hop &

Payload does not work and when I boot in arming mode the blue Led stop blinking and goes off after a few seconds.  I can login in serial mode. 

can you confirm?

I will so some more investigation and give you some logs.

Question: How did you get into the bunny_framework and change the hop command?

nano or vi into the file located at /usr/local/bunny/bin/bunny_framework, it is the last hop in the file at the very end and changing it to "hop &"(without the double quotes). I don't recommend it for now though and just wait for 1.2 as doing so will have effects unintended or harmful to the BB. I had an issue and restored it 3 times after changing the bunny_framework file (just me most likely), and the LEDs won't work properly after the change.

21 minutes ago, Fang_Shadow said:

nano or vi into the file located at /usr/local/bunny/bin/bunny_framework, it is the last hop in the file at the very end and changing it to "hop &"(without the double quotes). I don't recommend it for now though and just wait for 1.2 as doing so will have effects unintended or harmful to the BB. I had an issue and restored it 3 times after changing the bunny_framework file (just me most likely), and the LEDs won't work properly after the change.

yes, that's what I said.

The only way for me to get rid of the timeout problem at the moment was set the Timeoutsec variable as I described in the first post of these thread. But it is only for experienced  linux users who knows what they do. For others waiting for FW 1.2

1 hour ago, qdba said:

yes, that's what I said.

The only way for me to get rid of the timeout problem at the moment was set the Timeoutsec variable as I described in the first post of these thread. But it is only for experienced  linux users who knows what they do. For others waiting for FW 1.2

Mmm. I'm a Windows guy. Never really played around with Linux until I got my BB...

6 hours ago, Sebkinne said:

You also need to set the systemd kill mode to process instead or the default process group. 

Would going into the bunny.service /lib/systemd/system/bunny.service and add KillMode=process ?

Edit: With the bunny_framework edit to fork and the service edit adding of KillMode=process seems to work, blue light is still flashing after reboot in arming mode. Now on to test some payloads.

Edited by Fang_Shadow

• 2 weeks later...