USB Y Cable power

imesoj

I'm new to the Pineapple game and was wondering about the Y cable included with my Nano.  I own an XPS 15 and the only two USB ports available on my laptop are on opposite sides.  Do I need to have both cables connected?  I tried it with the one main thicker section of the cable and it seemed to work just fine, but this is without running any modules.  Should I go buy an extension cable?  Or is USB 3.0 enough to power this thing?

Thank you

The usb3 should be enough for light to medium use. If you are going to max it out with clients and a bunch of modules in use at once i would suggest adding the extra power or use a battery pack.  the Nano needs 5v2a which equals 10w of power for full use.

Aweso

50 minutes ago, b0N3z said:

The usb3 should be enough for light to medium use. If you are going to max it out with clients and a bunch of modules in use at once i would suggest adding the extra power or use a battery pack.  the Nano needs 5v2a which equals 10w of power for full use.

Awesome thanks,

Any suggestions on battery packs?

depends on how big you wanna go.  I use this for the nano.  Any battery that has at least 5v2a will do.  My bigger batteries are RAVpower 22000mah with 3 usb ports at 5v2.4a with a total of 5.8a if all ports are used and a Jackery Titan 20100mah with 2 5v3.4a ports.  I also power raspberry pi's with these also which is why i went that big with the batteries.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2017 at 2:38 PM, b0N3z said:

depends on how big you wanna go.  I use this for the nano.  Any battery that has at least 5v2a will do.  My bigger batteries are RAVpower 22000mah with 3 usb ports at 5v2.4a with a total of 5.8a if all ports are used and a Jackery Titan 20100mah with 2 5v3.4a ports.  I also power raspberry pi's with these also which is why i went that big with the batteries.

Thanks for the response.  I was looking into buying the Dell Power Companion for my laptop which includes two usb charging ports at 5 V - 2.1 A.  You mention 5v2a, would 5v2.1a be too much?

51 minutes ago, imesoj said:

Thanks for the response.  I was looking into buying the Dell Power Companion for my laptop which includes two usb charging ports at 5 V - 2.1 A.  You mention 5v2a, would 5v2.1a be too much?

No, Ive powered my nano with a 5v3.4a. As long as its 5v power supply, over powering is not a problem because the nano will only draw what it needs to run.  

So, as long as its a 5v2a+ you only need a single cable.  The Y-cable is included for cases where you have 2 5v1a batteries or your pc usb ports put out less than 5v2a.

Edited by b0N3z

22 hours ago, b0N3z said:

No, Ive powered my nano with a 5v3.4a. As long as its 5v power supply, over powering is not a problem because the nano will only draw what it needs to run.  

So, as long as its a 5v2a+ you only need a single cable.  The Y-cable is included for cases where you have 2 5v1a batteries or your pc usb ports put out less than 5v2a.

Great thanks for the info.  I ended up just ordering the Jackery pack for now.