Recon no longer working

coyotlgw

OK... so I thought I would give the Nano a few months, see what firmware came out, and try again.  Just flashed with [Release] 1.1.3 - Codename Buffalo Bulldozer and uninstalled all modules, then rebooted.

From the Dashboard I click Recon, select "30 Seconds" and hit the "Scan" button.   The little pineapple icon animates but the scan never starts.  two minutes later I refresh the browser and briefly see a red warning "There was an error starting Recon, please try again"

At this point the Dashboard stops working  (UPTIME and % CPU USAGE are blank) and the left-hand nav bar stops working, no pages will load.

So, I have been trying to get this working since DefCon and feel like this is as vanilla as I can make it... am I doing something wrong?  Is there a way to RMA the hardware?  Are their logs I can check (/var/log has nothing but lastlog and wtmp)

note:  ssh-ed in and still able to move around while the web interface is locked... the actual Nano does not seem to have frozen up, just starting Recon breaks all web interfaces...

note: found the "Download debug" button on the Help page, result is a blank page simply stating:  "Invalid file."

Closest thing I can find to logfiles is dmesg, this is what i see after starting Recon:

[  403.530000] rtl_usb: reg 0x603, usbctrl_vendorreq TimeOut! status:0xffffff6f value=0x4040501
[  403.790000] rtl_usb: reg 0x608, usbctrl_vendorreq TimeOut! status:0xffffff6f value=0x2e9003
[  413.530000] rtl_usb: reg 0x442, usbctrl_vendorreq TimeOut! status:0xffffff6f value=0x483
[  413.790000] rtl_usb: reg 0xda0, usbctrl_vendorreq TimeOut! status:0xffffff6f value=0x0

Quick question, i had a bit of this too. I narrowed it down to a bad SD card. Have you tried formatting/swapping that out? I also found that i get the best results by using the Y cable plugged into a battery pack with 2 outputs. I use a tertiary radio to connect the pineapple to my hotspot. When the tertiary radio is down, or if the pineapple is under very heavy load I've seen this as well. Also, do you already have PineAP running when you attempt to recon?

Left it alone overnight, tried again this afternoon.  Now I can get a scan going but the results make no sense...

Ran for 15 second scan, after a few seconds the bar expanded for 20 seconds, hung at 100% for several minutes. then stops, still showing "No scan results."

Meanwhile, from the command line I do see SSIDs...

root@Pineapple:~# iwlist wlan0 scan | grep SSID
                    ESSID:"Scott's Wi-Fi Network"
                    ESSID:"Helgen_2GEXT"
                    ESSID:"Helgen"
                    ESSID:"gwguest"
                    ESSID:"DVW326.9D1105-2.4G"
root@Pineapple:~# iwlist wlan2 scan | grep SSID
                    ESSID:""
                    ESSID:"Backup"
root@Pineapple:~# iwlist wlan0-1 scan | grep SSID
                    ESSID:"Scott's Wi-Fi Network"
                    ESSID:"Helgen"
                    ESSID:"DVW326.9D1105-2.4G"

Swapped out antennae for the original ones, no improvement.  Swapped out the SD card for a different, formatted one, no improvement.  Rebooted with no SD card, no improvement.

So I bought this in August and still have yet to get it to work correctly... is there any way to replace it?

Click on "PineAP Log" and it should minimize that window and show System log, Dmesg, and Reporting Log. Also have you tried to reset the pineapple with the reset button and instead of just uninstalling modules, format the sd card and start new.

Thanks b0N3z, sounds like I should have looked closer at the logging page.  I will post as soon as I can get back out to the office but how do you guys tag logs to keep from filling up the whole topic ?

logs are not immediately exportable, but I see nothing of note other then this:

Sun Mar 19 21:25:49 2017 cron.err crond[1397]: time disparity of 1391 minutes detected
Sun Mar 19 21:26:40 2017 kern.info kernel: [ 1196.560000] rtl8192cu: MAC auto ON okay!
Sun Mar 19 21:26:40 2017 kern.info kernel: [ 1196.590000] rtl8192cu: Tx queue select: 0x05
Sun Mar 19 21:34:29 2017 kern.err kernel: [ 1665.550000] rtl_usb: reg 0xa2c, usbctrl_vendorreq TimeOut! status:0xffffff6f value=0x6010840
Sun Mar 19 21:34:39 2017 kern.err kernel: [ 1675.550000] rtl_usb: reg 0x608, usbctrl_vendorreq TimeOut! status:0xffffff6f value=0x17130e09
Sun Mar 19 21:34:49 2017 kern.err kernel: [ 1685.550000] rtl_usb: reg 0x608, usbctrl_vendorreq TimeOut! status:0xffffff6f value=0xf7900f0
Sun Mar 19 21:34:59 2017 kern.err kernel: [ 1695.550000] rtl_usb: reg 0xda0, usbctrl_vendorreq TimeOut! status:0xffffff6f value=0x1f5c8a1d

I think that this may be a browser issue as I can scan if I kill the browser and log back in.  Still seems awfully touchy though, is this normal?

• 2 months later...

Sorry, did not see your response... my results:

20170621 22:10
    booted up, ran recon, successful for 15 second scan, four SSIDs
    2 minute scan took five minutes, returned "No scan results"
22:19
    ssh-ed in, ran airmon-ng start wlan1    
    Noticed that PineAP Daemon: Enabled... switched off, saved autostart config
    Started 30 second scan, 30 seconds to scan, two more minutes at 100% before "No scan results"

back to terminal, ran pinesniffer wlan1mon 60 0 /tmp/test

results:

root@Pineapple:~# airmon-ng start wlan1
Found 1 processes that could cause trouble.
If airodump-ng, aireplay-ng or airtun-ng stops working after
a short period of time, you may want to kill (some of) them!

2686 root      1376 S    grep wpa_action\|wpa_supplicant\|wpa_cli\|dhclient\|ifplugd\|dhcdbd\|dhcpcd\|udhcpc\|NetworkManager\|knetworkmanager\|avahi-a

PHY    Interface    Driver        Chipset

phy0    wlan0        ath9k        Not pci, usb, or sdio
phy0    wlan0-1        ath9k        Not pci, usb, or sdio
phy1    wlan1mon    rtl8192cu    Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188CUS 802.11n WLAN Adapter
phy2    wlan2        ath9k_htc    Atheros Communications, Inc. AR9271 802.11n

root@Pineapple:~#
root@Pineapple:~# pinesniffer wlan1mon 60 0 /tmp/test
[*] Pinesniffer started on wlan1mon, running for 60 seconds
[*] Scan results written to /tmp/test
root@Pineapple:~# cat /tmp/test
{"ap_list":[], "unassociated_clients":[]}root@Pineapple:~#

• 4 weeks later...

Grrr... Started experiencing this today for the first time. I noticed some swap write errors in dmsg formatted SD. Factory reset. Still can't recon. When running airmon-ng wlan1mon : failed to initialize interface 

Hmmmm I'll take a look deeper in the logs and Debug file when I get home. Was really hoping this would be resolved by reset and formatSD.

I find that issues like this resolve themselves after dropping the cache files before a dns reset, then a restart. Sometimes a cache drop afterwards for good measure.

Yea to be honest, I'm not sure what resolved the issue. Was still having the error after a reset and format of the SD. Was seeing DNS errors as well now that you mention it.  Much later when I got home from work I meant to check the logs but all was working on first boot.. Just have to remount my card and install modules again. 

10 minutes ago, pinax said:

I'm also having the same issue - just received my Nano 2 days ago, and after updating the firmware the Recon stopped working.

Pls. any solution coming up, and is Darren aware of this issue?

any clue what the issue might be? have you installed any modules after updating the firmware? SD card? Checked the logs? debug file? I was able to narrow mine down to issues with the MicroSD card and after a reset and format (and some time) everything is working as it should again. 

I just made a factory reset on my Nano, and set it up according to the Setup guide, and that's it. No SD Card, no Modules installed. The only thing i did was to change the IP of the Nano to 192.168.2.10 to work with OSX and then it stopped working :-( 

4 minutes ago, pinax said:

I just made a factory reset on my Nano, and set it up according to the Setup guide, and that's it. No SD Card, no Modules installed. The only thing i did was to change the IP of the Nano to 192.168.2.10 to work with OSX and then it stopped working :-( 

hmm i'm not sure that changing the route would affect the interface to be honest, but i'm not an 'expert' Try a factory reset. Can you SSH into it? You can reset with the button on the bottom (hold for 10+seconds) this should get you back to a usable state. If you are still unable to recon after a reset, try some of the commands above in SSH terminal. post your results

• 3 months later...

Is there a fix or a workaround for this issue ? I received my pineapple nano two weeks ago , as per the instructions, i updated the firmware on first boot , it installed 1.1.3 . I have the same issue as stated here, recon mode does not seems to work (stays at 100%). I tried multiple factory reset with no success.

The only way i could make it work is by doing a firmware recovery which bring me back to 1.1.1 , at this version , recon mode is working. But as soon as I upgrade to 1.1.3, I loose it.

The 1.1.3 firmware is dated one year ago...... Buying a new product that do not work out of the box as advertised with the "latest" one year old firmware is a big deception. Especially that the recon feature is the first tab in the interface ; this is not a small bug, it's a main feature not working. Maybe less time on the swag an more onto testing and quality.  I understand that you want to keep your code close-source but this leaves the user with a brand new crippled product with no real other options for a fix.

12 minutes ago, Kurdy said:

Is there a fix or a workaround for this issue ? I received my pineapple nano two weeks ago , as per the instructions, i updated the firmware on first boot , it installed 1.1.3 . I have the same issue as stated here, recon mode does not seems to work (stays at 100%). I tried multiple factory reset with no success.

The only way i could make it work is by doing a firmware recovery which bring me back to 1.1.1 , at this version , recon mode is working. But as soon as I upgrade to 1.1.3, I loose it.

The 1.1.3 firmware is dated one year ago...... Buying a new product that do not work out of the box as advertised with the "latest" one year old firmware is a big deception. Especially that the recon feature is the first tab in the interface ; this is not a small bug, it's a main feature not working. Maybe less time on the swag an more onto testing and quality.  I understand that you want to keep your code close-source but this leaves the user with a brand new crippled product with no real other options for a fix.

I understand your frustration. We are very close to releasing a brand new, feature packed firmware which will hopefully fix this issue for everyone. 

It is unfortunately an issue that only a small percentage of customers run into. 

I’ve had the Perpetual hang also and i’ve noticed that if I scan for 15 seconds before hand, then following scans come through. I also tend to make sure nothing else is using wlan1. 

I go into recond believing that if  anything else is using wlan1 then the scan will hang.

Your results may vary.

• 1 year later...

I'm on 2.5.4 on a brand new Nano and this is happening to me. 😞

Seems to work ok first time with wlan1 as the client mode wifi, which is weird as it says this interferes with PineAP.

No other wireless lans appear in the drop down.  I know I've seen wlan0mon at one point as well.

Archived