Unable to get Pyrit to work with my GPU

SystemCrash86

Hi Guys I am having a bit of an issue trying to use pyrit on the latest edition of kali linux on my desktop running an AMD graphics card.

I posted the topic on the kali Bug tracker but so far know luck and i was wondering if any of your guys might be able to offer a solution or any ideas.

I have a laptop the an Nvidia graphics card and i have no issues.

My Desktop running Kali Linux (latest as of 13/3/17) all updated running an AMD radeaon graphics card. Everything works on my machine except when i try to run hashcat or pyrit.

My Pyrit config file is :

default_storage = file://
limit_ncpus = 0
rpc_announce = true
rpc_announce_broadcast = false
rpc_knownclients =
rpc_server = false
use_CUDA = false
use_OpenCL = true
workunit_size = 75000

As you can see Cuda is set to false because i  do not have an nvidia card to opencl is set to true becasue i have an amd card installed.

When i run pyrit list_cores i get:

root@systemcrash86:~# pyrit list_cores
NVIDIA: no NVIDIA devices found
Pyrit 0.5.1 (C) 2008-2011 Lukas Lueg - 2015 John Mora
https://github.com/JPaulMora/Pyrit
This code is distributed under the GNU General Public License v3+

The following cores seem available...
#1:  'CPU-Core (SSE2/AES)'
#2:  'CPU-Core (SSE2/AES)'
#3:  'CPU-Core (SSE2/AES)'
#4:  'CPU-Core (SSE2/AES)'

The following OpenCL GPUs seem aviable...
#1:  'OpenCL-Device 'AMD TAHITI (DRM 2.48.0 / 4.9.0-kali3-amd64, LLVM 3.9.1)''

And when i try and run pyrit benchmark that's when i get the errors:

root@systemcrash86:~# pyrit benchmark
Pyrit 0.5.1 (C) 2008-2011 Lukas Lueg - 2015 John Mora
https://github.com/JPaulMora/Pyrit
This code is distributed under the GNU General Public License v3+

Calibrating... Exception in thread OpenCL-Device 'AMD TAHITI (DRM 2.48.0 / 4.9.0-kali3-amd64, LLVM 3.9.1)':
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/threading.py", line 801, in __bootstrap_inner
    self.run()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/cpyrit/cpyrit.py", line 112, in run
    self._testComputeFunction(101)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/cpyrit/cpyrit.py", line 101, in _testComputeFunction
    self.solve(Core.TV_ESSID, [Core.TV_PW] * i))):
SystemError: Failed to build kernel (CL_BUILD_PROGRAM_FAILURE):
./generic/lib/workitem/get_global_id.cl:4:30: in function opencl_pmk_kernel void (%struct.gpu_inbuffer addrspace(1)*, %struct.gpu_outbuffer addrspace(1)*): unsupported call to function get_local_size

Exception in thread CPU-Core (SSE2/AES):
    self.run()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/cpyrit/cpyrit.py", line 109, in run
    essid, pwlist = self.queue._gather(self.buffersize, timeout=0.5)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/cpyrit/cpyrit.py", line 643, in _gather
    self._check_cores()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/cpyrit/cpyrit.py", line 501, in _check_cores
    raise SystemError("The core '%s' has died unexpectedly" % core)
SystemError: The core 'OpenCL-Device 'AMD TAHITI (DRM 2.48.0 / 4.9.0-kali3-amd64, LLVM 3.9.1)'' has died unexpectedly
    self.run()
    self._check_cores()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/cpyrit/cpyrit.py", line 501, in _check_cores
SystemError: The core 'OpenCL-Device 'AMD TAHITI (DRM 2.48.0 / 4.9.0-kali3-amd64, LLVM 3.9.1)'' has died unexpectedly

self.run()
    self._check_cores()
    self.run()
    self._check_cores()

File "/usr/bin/pyrit", line 6, in <module>
    pyrit_cli.Pyrit_CLI().initFromArgv()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pyrit_cli.py", line 118, in initFromArgv
    func(self, **options)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pyrit_cli.py", line 1200, in benchmark
    cp.enqueue('foo', ['barbarbar'] * 500)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/cpyrit/cpyrit.py", line 575, in enqueue
    self._check_cores()
SystemError: The core 'CPU-Core (SSE2/AES)' has died unexpectedly

On another note, when i run the latest edition of hashcat i get the following error:

root@systemcrash86:/usr/share/hashcat-3.40# ./hashcat -b
hashcat (v3.40) starting in benchmark mode...

Mesa (Gallium) OpenCL platform detected!

It is known to cause errors which an unexperienced user could misinterpret as a bug in hashcat
You are STRONGLY encouraged to use the driver as listed in docs/readme.txt
You can use --opencl-platforms to manually deselect the platform and get rid of this error
You can use --force to override this but do not post error reports if you do so

Started: Mon Mar 13 21:10:10 2017
Stopped: Mon Mar 13 21:10:10 2017

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

thanks guys

I would say go to the Hashcat site, make sure your card is compatible. Possibly may need to reinstall with drivers for your specific card, but not necessarily a Kali issue as much as your cards drivers may not be compatible or none released for that card yet. Not all GPU's are going to work with Hashcat. I'm not sure where current Kali is with regards to Hashcat, but there is hashcat legacy that you might need to switch to for the AMD card in use.

https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=frequently_asked_questions#how_can_i_make_sure_that_my_gpu_is_supported

Their forums may have answers for your specific card, or, post a question for help with your specific GPU. Someone may have already solved this issue you are having.

https://hashcat.net/forum/

Alternatively, you can try something like I did on one of my older machines, and removed hashcat, then reinstalled manually from the archives to use the CPU based hashcat only, which ideally isn't what you want, but will get it working on your machine using the CPU instead. That's how I have it on my older desktop in the living room that doesn't have a supported GPU to use with it, and while way slower than GPU cracking, still works to crack simple hashes with ease. Last suggestion is buy a compatible card. Sure a cheap Cuda based card could be found on ebay, and you can run two cards in the machine if needed and dedicate the Nvidia based one to password cracking, and the AMD one for other related functions such as gaming and monitors(that is if your mobo has more than one slot for pci-e based cards).

Note, if on the desktop and using a VM vs Native install, you may not be able to get it working with GPU cracking regardless of card in use and not recommended.

If you want to stick with AMD and not shell out a lot of money, look for a used Radeon HD7970 which is supposed to be supported.

https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=frequently_asked_questions#why_does_hashcat_not_work_with_my_kali_operating_system

Hi Digip, thanks for your reply.

My card must be compatible because i had no problems at all until the recent update of kali.

I dual boot with the latest edition of ubuntu gnome fully update and have no problems running pyrit, at the moment it seems to only be latested kali.

If i download  the Kali Linux distro from the website right now before updating then pyrit works without a problem, its after i update that i can use pyrit with my gpu

Kali shipped with the CPU only version of hashcat(at least, 2016.1 as far as I know). When I updated and dist updated, I lost ability to use it until I backported to the older version that used the CPU. However, that may not be the case with yours, something to look into. Updates can break things or cause issues, but in general, make sure it's not something as simple as the card has the wrong drivers, or just not compatible with the tool.