Mac OS X - How to Share Your Internet Connection

Torrey

6 minutes ago, Draxiom said:

Another missing piece for me that is in both of your instructions, but not present in my setup is the "USB 10/100 LAN" as a device to share the internet with; I only see the "RNDIS/Ethernet Gadget" in the list to check

sorry for the 'usb 10/100 lan' confusion, it's from the tetra. you might remember me mentioning that on irc yesterday.

13 hours ago, Torrey said:

sorry for the 'usb 10/100 lan' confusion, it's from the tetra. you might remember me mentioning that on irc yesterday.

I remember you saying that. I just thought it might be related, since it is the only thing I can see that is different between my setup and both of yours. Grasping at straws I suppose...

2 minutes ago, hipcrime said:

Have to agree that you cannot directly share the connection on a mac.

So far nothing has worked and I have very carefully followed every posted recipe.

Real problem for me since I have no windows machines at all.

@hipcrime, have you tried the vm method?

3 minutes ago, hipcrime said:

Real problem for me since I have no windows machines at all.

Hi @hipcrime,

just install VirtualBox on your Mac with a Linux distro. You will see how easy it is to use there. Apart from this: I don't see an urgent need for ICS as you might "only" use it for updating the OS. 

16 minutes ago, GermanNoob said:

lol, not able to get the BashBunny online and therefore thinks its useless... Some people are really priceless.... lmao

Seriously... @hipcrime if you aren't clever enough or too lazy to get it working, perhaps you can give it to somebody that cannot afford one, and doesn't give up so easily. 

Edited by Draxiom
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, hipcrime said:

people with real jobs (and kids) don't have time to fool around with faulty toys

Says the guy who apparently has "a pile of useless money-wasting toys"??? Ok.

If you're not going to take this project seriously just because it's one more "useless toy" that doesn't play nice with your mac, you shouldn't have bought it...

• Upvote 1

On 3/14/2017 at 11:42 PM, hipcrime said:

Would attach a screen shot but don't see how others are accomplishing that (all that's in the menu is Insert Image from URL and Insert Existing Attachment).

Considering you couldn't figure out how to attach a screenshot to this thread, I have little faith in your ability to use the device for anything other than a toy. 

Yep, that's me ... got no idea how to use these computer thangs on the interwebs, but earn oodles of money by hacking them ... makes me happy to have lost your faith ... will pick up this BB toy later when time permits even though it indeed doesn't play nice with my Mac ... physical access isn't that important anyway ... now back to filling my pockets and laughing all the way to the bank.

^^ wondering why is some who can't even get this thing online making any ambitions to do any serious pentesting....

Its obvious that you knowledge is lacking so you should focus on learning the basics before diving into pentesting as even if you BB worked, its worthless for you anyway...

I downloaded the RNDIS driver for my mac, so now I have the RNDIS interface. 

However, I do not have the USB 10/100 LAN interface on my mac, not sure if that is important or not.

Additionally, after turning on WiFi to RNDIS ICS on my mac and plugging in the BB. I am able to ssh into root@172.16.64.1, however, after running a ping request to google.com I get 100% packet loss. 

Any ideas?

1 hour ago, NicholasAdamou said:

I downloaded the RNDIS driver for my mac, so now I have the RNDIS interface. 

However, I do not have the USB 10/100 LAN interface on my mac, not sure if that is important or not.

Additionally, after turning on WiFi to RNDIS ICS on my mac and plugging in the BB. I am able to ssh into root@172.16.64.1, however, after running a ping request to google.com I get 100% packet loss. 

Any ideas?

You're suppose to SSH into 172.16.64.1, this is also listed on the wiki under the Default Settings section.

USB 10/100 was an oversight when I created the instructions, this device is actually the Tetra that I occasionally use with ICS. It's not necessary for these instructions.

Give this a try:

1. Unplug the BB
  2. Reboot the computer
  3. Turn off ICS
  4. Turn on ICS (sharing your wifi connection with the correct USB interface)
  5. Plug in the BB
  6. SSH into the BB
  7. Welcome to the interwebz?

Edit: Make sure to follow the directions for DHCP with a manual address as well. It's necessary for ICS to work.

Edited by Torrey

After finallly trying this after so long of putting it off, I have done everything in the first post with the exception of adding changing the default dns setting on the Mac for the bunny itself to google dns which made it work instantly.  without the dns setting it will not get a connection when sharing.

Edited by b0N3z
  • Upvote 1

I have my wifi dns set to google (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)  along with the bash bunny also.  both my home wifi routers are also set to that.

36 minutes ago, b0N3z said:

I have my wifi dns set to google (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)  along with the bash bunny also.  both my home wifi routers are also set to that.

Isn't setting that on the BB a little redundant given it's part of the default configuration of usb0?

58cbf940e0a47_ScreenShot2017-03-17at10_56_45AM.png.9d180d7e3aa48d52941aaaba94723777.png

i didnt try to use 172.16.64.1.  without setting it on the mac for the bunny, it wouldn't share the connection

setting.png

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have any additional advice to get this working?

I have managed to get two different results:

1.) Connected to BashBunny (network info populated in panel) which results in the Mac not being able to access the Internet (I assume routing is pointing towards the BashBunny instead of the WiFi router. As such - neither device gets Internet access.

2.) Connected to BashBunny (network info NOT populated in panel - only manual IP) which results in the Mac being able to still access the Internet properly (yay!) but still no Internet connectivity for the BashBunny.

In both configurations I can SSH to the BashBunny but neither provide it with an Internet connection which is a bit of a pain.

I know I could likely get this working easily with a Ubuntu VM but I'd rather avoid that if possible since it adds additional faff needed to configure the BB for a pentest situation.

Thanks!

On 3/17/2017 at 8:54 AM, graythang said:

I got it to work. 

Short answer: use root@bunny:~# route add default gw 172.16.64.(octet assigned to your BB by the mac)

so for mine it was root@bunny:~# route add default gw 172.16.64.10

Long answer

I had the same problem described by HipCrime above.   after scratching my head for a minute and rebooting the mac and trying all the suggestions in the post I finally went back to the basics (always do it by the numbers when your stumped).

So I connected up the BB opened a term on the mac and check ifconfig to see where the BB IP-addrs was set

next I check networking to see if it matched and to see what the other settings were (originally the DNS server was set to 172.16.64.1 , i set it to 8.8.8.8 to match what was in the BB /etc/resolv.conf).  

Next I ssh into the BB using ssh root@172.16.64.1

in a separate shell on the mac I started tcpdump on the BB interface (in my case en10)

tcpdump -i en10

back in BB land I ran netstat -r to see the route table and watched the tcpdump action

looking in the tcpdump window I see ARPs for 172.16.64.64

and the route table on BB shows:

Which can't be right for ICS because ifconfig on the mac shows 172.16.64.10 as the interface and while I get why the OS X networking UI would show 172.16.64.1 as the router, I didn't get where the 172.16.64.64 in the BB route table came from. The BB's default route should point to the interface assigned to it in OS X (in my case the 172.16.64.10 ip).  so a quick 'route add' later and the BB was up and connecting like a champ

hope this helps :)

This worked perfectly, thanks! Only downside is that you have to run it each time the bb boots.

Edited by jafahulo
  • Upvote 1