Can't compile openwrt-pineapple-nano

ComZer

@Sebkinne I tried to compile https://github.com/WiFiPineapple/openwrt-pineapple-nano

I got these errors.

/bin/bash /home/comzer/openwrt-pineapple-nano/build_dir/toolchain-mips_34kc_gcc-4.8-linaro_uClibc-0.9.33.2/gcc-linaro-4.8-2014.04/libgcc/../mkinstalldirs /home/comzer/openwrt-pineapple-nano/staging_dir/toolchain-mips_34kc_gcc-4.8-linaro_uClibc-0.9.33.2/lib/gcc/mips-openwrt-linux-uclibc/4.8.3/include
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 unwind.h /home/comzer/openwrt-pineapple-nano/staging_dir/toolchain-mips_34kc_gcc-4.8-linaro_uClibc-0.9.33.2/lib/gcc/mips-openwrt-linux-uclibc/4.8.3/include
make[5]: Leaving directory `/home/comzer/openwrt-pineapple-nano/build_dir/toolchain-mips_34kc_gcc-4.8-linaro_uClibc-0.9.33.2/gcc-linaro-4.8-2014.04-minimal/mips-openwrt-linux-uclibc/libgcc'
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/comzer/openwrt-pineapple-nano/build_dir/toolchain-mips_34kc_gcc-4.8-linaro_uClibc-0.9.33.2/gcc-linaro-4.8-2014.04-minimal'
mkdir -p /home/comzer/openwrt-pineapple-nano/staging_dir/toolchain-mips_34kc_gcc-4.8-linaro_uClibc-0.9.33.2/stamp
touch /home/comzer/openwrt-pineapple-nano/build_dir/toolchain-mips_34kc_gcc-4.8-linaro_uClibc-0.9.33.2/gcc-linaro-4.8-2014.04-minimal/.built
touch /home/comzer/openwrt-pineapple-nano/staging_dir/toolchain-mips_34kc_gcc-4.8-linaro_uClibc-0.9.33.2/stamp/.gcc_minimal_installed
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/comzer/openwrt-pineapple-nano/toolchain/gcc/minimal'
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/comzer/openwrt-pineapple-nano/toolchain/kernel-headers'
mkdir -p /home/comzer/openwrt-pineapple-nano/dl
/home/comzer/openwrt-pineapple-nano/scripts/download.pl "/home/comzer/openwrt-pineapple-nano/dl" "linux-3.18.19.tar.xz" "a143f9421bd8413752609d0d771c2955" "@KERNEL/linux/kernel/v3.x"
--2017-03-05 11:26:01--  ftp://ftp.all.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v3.x/linux-3.18.19.tar.xz
           => '-'
Resolving ftp.all.kernel.org (ftp.all.kernel.org)... failed: Name or service not known.
wget: unable to resolve host address 'ftp.all.kernel.org'
Download failed.
--2017-03-05 11:26:01--  http://ftp.all.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v3.x/linux-3.18.19.tar.xz
Resolving ftp.all.kernel.org (ftp.all.kernel.org)... failed: Name or service not known.
Download failed.
--2017-03-05 11:26:01--  ftp://ftp.all.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v3.x/longterm/v3.18.19/linux-3.18.19.tar.xz
           => '-'
Download failed.
--2017-03-05 11:26:01--  http://ftp.all.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v3.x/longterm/v3.18.19/linux-3.18.19.tar.xz
Download failed.
--2017-03-05 11:26:01--  http://mirror2.openwrt.org/sources/linux-3.18.19.tar.xz
Resolving mirror2.openwrt.org (mirror2.openwrt.org)... 46.4.11.11
Connecting to mirror2.openwrt.org (mirror2.openwrt.org)|46.4.11.11|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
2017-03-05 11:26:02 ERROR 404: Not Found.

Download failed.
--2017-03-05 11:26:02--  http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources/linux-3.18.19.tar.xz
Resolving downloads.openwrt.org (downloads.openwrt.org)... 78.24.191.177
Connecting to downloads.openwrt.org (downloads.openwrt.org)|78.24.191.177|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
2017-03-05 11:26:02 ERROR 404: Not Found.

Download failed.
No more mirrors to try - giving up.
make[3]: *** [/home/comzer/openwrt-pineapple-nano/dl/linux-3.18.19.tar.xz] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/comzer/openwrt-pineapple-nano/toolchain/kernel-headers'
make[2]: *** [toolchain/kernel-headers/prepare] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/comzer/openwrt-pineapple-nano'
make[1]: *** [/home/comzer/openwrt-pineapple-nano/staging_dir/toolchain-mips_34kc_gcc-4.8-linaro_uClibc-0.9.33.2/stamp/.toolchain_install] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/comzer/openwrt-pineapple-nano'

After compiling it shows a lot of files in the bin folder, but which one is the correct one for the PineApple nano?
Files such as:

openwrt-ar71xx-generic-ubnt-nano-m-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

openwrt-ar71xx-generic-ubnt-nano-m-xw-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

And does it come with the standard PineApple UI after I flash it?

On 5.3.2017 at 1:51 PM, ComZer said:

After compiling it shows a lot of files in the bin folder, but which one is the correct one for the PineApple nano?
Files such as:

And does it come with the standard PineApple UI after I flash it?

I suggest trying: openwrt-ar71xx-generic-ubnt-nano-m-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
And no, there's no Pineapple UI in this firmware. This is just the openwrt source codes, with the changes they have made to make it build on their hardware.

On 7.3.2017 at 0:34 PM, elimisteve said:

@ComZer I'm trying to do something similar, but I just want to replace the kernel with a custom one.  Have you happened to spot the best way to do that?

Thanks!

I have built several custom kernel versions for both the tetra and the nano. And i just built everything as i normally would on the OpenWRT SDK.

On 3/10/2017 at 1:30 AM, Zylla said:

I have built several custom kernel versions for both the tetra and the nano. And i just built everything as i normally would on the OpenWRT SDK.

@Zylla That is fantastic news for me!  Can I ask you a question about that?

I'm trying to build a custom kernel for my new Nano.  I've gathered that I can "use kernel_menuconfig" to find this menu where I can disable FPU, but it's not clear to me how much of OpenWRT I need to build on my Linux desktop in order to get to the point where I'm running commands like the ones suggested by http://trac.gateworks.com/wiki/OpenWrt/kernelconfig .

Any pointers would help a ton.  Thanks!

7 hours ago, elimisteve said:

@Zylla That is fantastic news for me!  Can I ask you a question about that?

I'm trying to build a custom kernel for my new Nano.  I've gathered that I can "use kernel_menuconfig" to find this menu where I can disable FPU, but it's not clear to me how much of OpenWRT I need to build on my Linux desktop in order to get to the point where I'm running commands like the ones suggested by http://trac.gateworks.com/wiki/OpenWrt/kernelconfig .

Any pointers would help a ton.  Thanks!

I have some repositories on github, where i merged Hak5's outdated repos with chaos-calmers upstream repo.
You can find them here:
https://github.com/adde88/openwrt-pineapple-nano
https://github.com/adde88/openwrt-pineapple-tetra

This will let you build kernel-version 3.18.45.
And i suggest you do it like this:

./scripts/feeds update -a
make menuconfig
make kernel_menuconfig
make V=s

Use menuconfig as you normally would, then make kernel changes after that with kernel_menuconfig
Then make V=s to compile everything. It works like a charm for me. :wink:

When i find time, i hope to compile a kernel-version 4.1.x or 4.4.x for the Pineapples.
But i'm not sure if the closed-source software on the pineapples will run. But time will tell :happy:

Edited by Zylla

On 3/12/2017 at 4:44 AM, Zylla said:

Use menuconfig as you normally would, then make kernel changes after that with kernel_menuconfig

Thanks so much for this!  After I run make kernel_menuconfig, there's no "Enable FPU emulation" option at the top like this image and blogs and forums suggest there should be.  Any idea why not?

Relatedly, I'm concerned that the phrase "enable fpu emulation" doesn't even show up in the github.com/WiFiPineapple/openwrt-pineapple-nano repo.

Thanks!

41 minutes ago, elimisteve said:

...the phrase "enable fpu emulation" doesn't even show up in the github.com/WiFiPineapple/openwrt-pineapple-nano repo

Okay that was a dumb thing to say, since the Linux kernel is downloaded separately and isn't literally included in the repo, but when I grep -r after downloading the kernel and after the first compile steps, it still doesn't show up, and it seems like it should.

Hi everyone,

The actual setting is called MIPS_FPU_EMULATOR. It can be found by executing make kernel_menuconfig under kernel type -> MIP FPU Emulator. Simply press the y button, save the config, and build the kernel (make sure to make clean the kernel first).

Hope this helps!

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Sebkinne said:

The actual setting is called MIPS_FPU_EMULATOR

@Sebkinne Awesome, got it!  I now see ./bin/ar71xx/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-*-{factory,sysupgrade}.img , which is great, though I'm just interested in replacing the kernel.

I tried to scp kernel_3.18.19-1-f348b1f5b567b17ca4353ee14083f045_ar71xx.ipk to my Pineapple and ran

$ opkg install --force-downgrade kernel_3.18.19-1-f348b1f5b567b17ca4353ee14083f045_ar71xx.ipk

but my system is still using the old kernel... which might be a good thing, because that .ipk file is just 814 bytes -- clearly too small to be a legit kernel!

How can I just replace my kernel?  With one of these files, perhaps?

./openwrt-ar71xx-generic-vmlinux.lzma
./openwrt-ar71xx-generic-vmlinux-lzma.elf
./openwrt-ar71xx-generic-vmlinux.gz
./openwrt-ar71xx-generic-vmlinux.elf
./openwrt-ar71xx-generic-vmlinux.bin

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
On 17.4.2017 at 8:36 AM, elimisteve said:

Unfortunately I haven't found any docs to help with figuring this out.

Any tips for just replacing the kernel? @Sebkinne  @Zylla

If you've built a kernel you could try replacing your current kernel by using opkg.
Be mindful that you also need to build all the kernel-modules that is used by the Pineapples.
If you've built everything correctly, it should work like a charm.

Or even better: Build a complete firmware-file, and install it using sysupgrade. (I know the Tetra launches the kernel from the bootloader, before getting your rootfs up. So opkg-intallation might not work that great there. But you should know how to un-brick it, in case anything goes wrong, before attempting a firmware install.)

To get a list of all the kernel-modules needed on a Pineapple with all the modules downloaded, use this command below:

opkg list | grep kmod- | awk '{ print $1}'

Edited by Zylla