Tetra and mac OS X sierra

Verax

I am new to the forum and want to buy the Tetra. I was wondering one thing before I buy: is it easy to set up on a new MacBook pro with Sierra? Or is it better to setup with a windows machine ( which I dont have ). I read somewhere that you need to do a little bit of terminal work in OSX. Will that cause any security issues on my mac? 

after I set everything up through osx, I can than manage everything through the wireless management right?

Hi @Verax!

I'm using the Nano on a new Mac, but with virtual machines in which Linux runs. Standard set-up can be done easily with the Mac also, but I'm not sure about internet connection sharing as I didn't tried to set this up...

Nevertheless, I think some basic terminal knowledge is always good if you don't want to stick only with the webpage of the WifiPineapple...

The basic terminal knowledge need for this is minimal.  Its all over the nano and questions topics on these forums.  Basically for OSX you can either set the pineapple to 192.168.1.2 on the pineapple with uci, making the pineapple have 192.168.1.x instead of 172.16.42.1.  OR you can change that IP within mac to 172.16.42.1 and then select to share the connection from the sharing setting under System Preferences.  Only downfall with #2 is that any other device that you want to share internet with from your mac must also have that same ip settings on the device.  

Ive done both and prefer option 2 of changing my OSX ip over changing the pineapple ip.  I really only use my pineapples on OSX.

You should be able to find something on this thread.  I have post a way and sud0nick referenced audioblink's method also.

• 3 months later...

Hey guys also a noob here using the Pineapple Tetra with my mac OS Sierra.

I did get it working one stage and was just about to do a practice Dwall, but now I'm having troubles.

No one in the house can connect to the internet again including myself, and I think thats because of what was mentioned above ^ in that I changed the IP of the mac in terminal.

Is there a way to reset this whole process? Happy to start from scratch and run this via linux or some other method.

I will make a more detailed post if needed but follow the path of the /Library/xxxx/xxxx/xxx/com.apple.xxxx.nat and just delete the entries. Don't use xcode to edit the file use something vi or nano from the terminal unless you have a text editor like atom or sublime text. The default text editor likes to save things as .rtf and sometimes it's ok other times it will break shit. I'll also upload or send you the default file if you want a reference of what it was or just replace it all together.  Do you run your wifi to your house through the PC?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it would be.  I made that tut for 10.11 and it seems like 10.12 is shotty as in sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.  I had it working last week and now it wont share connection at all.  I use a 3rd usb wifi dongle at home to get internet on the pineapple or run it from my linux box.  But yes a VM would work just fine.  Make sure you have the pineapple connect to the VM.

• 2 weeks later...