Laptop for pentesing (and everyday use)

inspired

Seems this is more a choice between OS-es than between different hardware?

I would say the question: would you rather work with osx then windows/Linux looks more important then the question which hardware you would use.

Although I admit all OS-es can run on all these platforms.

3 minutes ago, ɱax said:

Seems this is more a choice between OS-es than between different hardware?

I would say the question: would you rather work with osx then windows/Linux looks more important then the question which hardware you would use.

Although I admit all OS-es can run on all these platforms.

Does MacOS suitable for pentesting as Linux? Could I install pentesting tools on macOS or with macOS I'll face with virtual machines?

yup, with osx you will eventually have to install kali or another  pentesting os to virtualmachine. Even tho a lot of nice tools can be `brew install`ed to mac.

So if you go with a linux laptop, sure you can get all tools installed manually, or go with kali linux. However, kali might not be a great day to day OS; so you might end up virtualizing it anyways... (what I've done myself).

Also, depending where your interests are, you might also need windows (for e.g IDA) so you might end up playing with virtualization anyways. Yet with a modern laptop the overhea of virtual machine is barely noticeable.  

Myself I've chosen to use macOS (15" touchbar) and throw in a VMWare kali whenever I feel doing more complicated stuff...

So I'd worry more about how I like to hardware and OS I'd be using for next 3-5 years, than just how it's suited for pentesting. Especially if it's going to be a hobby and not a profession; sure it's different if you end up doing it fulltime.

10 hours ago, Jamo said:

yup, with osx you will eventually have to install kali or another  pentesting os to virtualmachine. Even tho a lot of nice tools can be `brew install`ed to mac.

So if you go with a linux laptop, sure you can get all tools installed manually, or go with kali linux. However, kali might not be a great day to day OS; so you might end up virtualizing it anyways... (what I've done myself).

Also, depending where your interests are, you might also need windows (for e.g IDA) so you might end up playing with virtualization anyways. Yet with a modern laptop the overhea of virtual machine is barely noticeable.  

Myself I've chosen to use macOS (15" touchbar) and throw in a VMWare kali whenever I feel doing more complicated stuff...

So I'd worry more about how I like to hardware and OS I'd be using for next 3-5 years, than just how it's suited for pentesting. Especially if it's going to be a hobby and not a profession; sure it's different if you end up doing it fulltime.

I'm working as pentester fulltime and mainly use Debian-based systems, so thats why I wonder if macOS will be suitable.

Ive found that no matter much i dont want to use a VM on my 2015 mbp... I have to have one as not everything that even brew lets you install is as good as the linux version.  So I keep a Kali VM.  I use to Dualboot but that is just a bigger pain in the ass.

On 2/27/2017 at 6:59 AM, b0N3z said:

Ive found that no matter much i dont want to use a VM on my 2015 mbp... I have to have one as not everything that even brew lets you install is as good as the linux version.  So I keep a Kali VM.  I use to Dualboot but that is just a bigger pain in the ass.

So Dell XPS with Linux will be more convinient one?

Both are fine machines, and lots of horsepower, well if you need that sort of horsepower honestly building a machine for home to do the heavy lifting and getting an XPS 13 may be the best way to go, at least in my opinion.

8 minutes ago, Rkiver said:

Both are fine machines, and lots of horsepower, well if you need that sort of horsepower honestly building a machine for home to do the heavy lifting and getting an XPS 13 may be the best way to go, at least in my opinion.

Think the same :) 

I really wonder what's the specs of laptops that Darren and Snubs have. 'Cause there's pretty noticable difference in price between models with 8GB of RAM and models with 16GB of RAM.