USB Hub (External Power or No?)

Null Trace

So I was reading around and I read that you should use a powered USB hub for the Wifi Pineapple. However, the post I found was in 2012 so I am unsure if this is still needed. I would like to know if I should get a powered USB Hub, or if it even matters with the Wifi Pineapple Nano. If I should, would the item from Amazon okay? 

Link to 2012 Post: https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/27549-usb-hub-powered-by-wifi-pineapple/

Link to product: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0192LPK5M/ref=psdc_281413_t2_B00DQFGH80

From a theoretical point of view, you should definitely use a powered hub. From a practical perspective, it depends. If you use a hub that uses very little power on it's own, and plug in only 2 devices that themselves draw little current, and you give the nano 2 amps or more, you might manage it without problems.

• 3 months later...

Depends on what you are using with the pineapple.  If it draws as much power as the nano itself then yes you will want to get a powered hub or just like the pineapple a usb Y cable.  In my experience, using the rt5370 snubby wifi dongle i dont need a hub because the nano can power it just fine.  If I use my ALFA AWUS051nV2, which came with a Y cable, then yes I also plug that into the battery im using.  This way your not trying to push to much power through the nano and it should stay cooler theoretically. 

Snubby RT5370

RTL-SDR 

Alfa AWUS036neh

TP-link wn722

^^^^ these are all things I have used with my nano without using a powered hub or extra power for the dongle.  

If you underpower your nano then you also underpower your dongle.