.Bin files opening in notepad

Royalty

Hello, 

I accidentally set .bin files to open in notepad on windows 10.  I can't fix it for the life of me.  I've tried resetting the associated file types to default but they don't affect .bin files.  I tried to reg edit .bin under hkey_classes_root.bin and set it to default ("%1"%* I think this is default anyway) but that isn't working either.  Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated = )

When you right click you should have an option to "Open with..." (pick "choose another app" if that is available), then in that message box a check box to "Always use this app to open .[xxx]", select whatever you want to open .bin files (which btw there is no default association in windows for that file type, so pick whatever you do want to open that file type).

I don't have a copy of windows 10 handy, but go to settings >  click default apps(not same as default programs as far as I know) and then on right side > reset. This should restore all app associations. If that doesn't work, then in control panel look for default programs(if windows 10 still has it like this) and then file associations. Problem is what was it associated with before. bin files could be ISO files or cue files like for cd/dvd burning, or some other file download, but you will have to know what it was from beforehand to read/open it if that's what you're trying to do.

what did you open them with before though? What is in the bin file? bin aren't native windows files as far as I know.

7 hours ago, digip said:

bin aren't native windows files as far as I know.

that's correct.

what's the issue you are having...that might help more.

btw the default reg for .bin in classes is:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bin]
"NoOpen"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bin\PersistentHandler]
@="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

what you posted before is the default reg for an executable, which a bin file in windows is not..

btw i know you think the problem  is 'bin opening in notepad' but the question is more what are you trying to do with a bin file in windows causing it to open in notepad, what are you expecting to accomplish? the last time i associated .bin in windows was so my cd burning app opened it to write it to a cd

Open Command Prompt (Start Menu > type 'cmd' > Press enter)

Type "assoc .bin= " (without the quotation marks, note the space after the equals sign)

This will un(assoc)iate the .bin files from being opened with any program. You can then associate it with whatever you would like.

Edited by haze1434

On 2/15/2017 at 9:11 AM, haze1434 said:

Open Command Prompt (Start Menu > type 'cmd' > Press enter)

Type "assoc .bin= " (without the quotation marks, note the space after the equals sign)

This will un(assoc)iate the .bin files from being opened with any program. You can then associate it with whatever you would like.

Thanks everyone for all the ideas.  haze this worked thank you thank you thank you!

• 4 years later...

I tried the command input method and it keeps saying “access is denied. Error occurred while processing: .bin.” This is really annoying and idk why windows is designed to not have a default button for opening bin files. I just don’t understand what the devs were thinking smfh.