Long range wifi. Dns problem? Connectivity problem.

i8igmac

tDqiuVSh.jpg

Here is a project I have been working on, the configuration includes hostapd for wlan0

Dnsmasq to assign ip's to local clients (192.168.0.*)

(Wlan1)WPA_supplicant and dhclient to connect to a access point from a distance(10.0.0.*)

And iptables to pass packets in both directions(wlan0 <-> wlan1)

the access point in the distance is on channel 1 and my hostap runs on channel 11... 5.8ghz is not yet a option...

I experience a disconnect and reconnect with the long range communication, at this moment the reconnect happens and the connection is stable again, something strage happens, I can ping my machines located in the distance on the subnet of 10.0.0.*  But I can't ping google for a few minutes...

During this time I can perform a test of packet loss and ping

Mtr 192.168.0.1 -> 10.0.0.1

0% packet loss and a consistent 20ms response time...

But ping google just hangs with no response...

Possible dhclient or dns problem?

Sounds like DNS is not resolving. you can add a script to hard code DNS servers such as google or opendns.

Throw in your /etc/resolv.conf(or whatever your device is using for DNS resolution)

nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 208.67.220.220
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 192.168.1.1

8.8.8.8 is google, 208.x.x.x openDNS and 192.x.x.x should be whatever the gateway IP is at the other end as the last entry. You don't need both google and opendns, choose either or, but doesn't hurt to have both. See if that helps. if it doesn't, might want to see what your DNS service is doing.

if the device uses something like nm-tools or newer nmcli, you can query it as well for the info. If it's empty, track down why it's not being populated.

BTW, love the colors. Did you 3d print the case materials?

32 minutes ago, digip said:

Sounds like DNS is not resolving. you can add a script to hard code DNS servers such as google or opendns.

Throw in your /etc/resolv.conf(or whatever your device is using for DNS resolution)

nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 208.67.220.220
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 192.168.1.1

8.8.8.8 is google, 208.x.x.x openDNS and 192.x.x.x should be whatever the gateway IP is at the other end as the last entry. You don't need both google and opendns, choose either or, but doesn't hurt to have both. See if that helps. if it doesn't, might want to see what your DNS service is doing.

if the device uses something like nm-tools or newer nmcli, you can query it as well for the info. If it's empty, track down why it's not being populated.

BTW, love the colors. Did you 3d print the case materials?

Thanks for the info, i tried 8.8.8.8 but never included 192.168...

Yes 3d printed a parbolic curve with a focal point of 40mm. The case is 180mmx180mmx60mm

I'm learning my way around design in freecad on linux :-)

I find that adding the gateway at the end sometimes helps, even when it's technically not a DNS server, I've seen it added by DHCP on my VM's so I started adding the gateway afterwards and when i can't get it to resolve, that seems to help for some reason. you shouldn't need it, but just to see if that works for you. Mine also used ot say "search 192.168.1.1" but I removed that and didn't see any difference.

• 2 weeks later...

so. I have made some huge progress...

5.8ghz has been 100% stable (long range)for about 5days now... no packet loss, no more disconnects... 2.4 is to crowded... it was all pocket loss/retry/drop/retry

I see 60mbps during good conditions but 40mbps is consistent...

I ordered some sma pigtails, digital calipers and will build some antennas tuned for 5.8ghz...

38 minutes ago, i8igmac said:

so. I have made some huge progress...

5.8ghz has been 100% stable (long range)for about 5days now... no packet loss, no more disconnects... 2.4 is to crowded... it was all pocket loss/retry/drop/retry

I see 60mbps during good conditions but 40mbps is consistent...

I ordered some sma pigtails, digital calipers and will build some antennas tuned for 5.8ghz...

What did you do to resolve the issues, or was it all 2.4ghz issues, while 5ghz was solid?

54 minutes ago, digip said:

What did you do to resolve the issues, or was it all 2.4ghz issues, while 5ghz was solid?

Yes indeed... 2.4 ghz is just to crowded... 40mhz is impossible... so the speed you pay for will never be achieved...

because of the short Range of 5.8ghz, 40mhz is easily doable. when you first power your router on, it will scan for crowding networks, and decide if 40mhz is doable (consume 2 channels simultaneously)

A quick little hack I did with hostapd, put aluminum foil around the antenna's and start host apd. It will force 40mhz but is of course way to crowded and will cause more issues...

And with long range you are more susceptible to interference, on 2.4ghz, my beam of radiation is passing through several different wifi routers airspace... think of the drops,retry,drop,fail...

I would love to do a power point demonstration...