How to use old Mac mini for pentesting

Monkeyshell

Hello everyone, I have an Mac mini with 4gb Ram core i5 cannot upgrade ram. Using kali linux in virtual box and it suck pretty much it always get hangs need to force poweroff

So what are the different way to use mac mini for pentesting if there anyway to create multiple VM for creating an pentesting lab on mac mini or any other solutions

Thanks

Yes depending on what Ver of OSX you have, you can get homebrew and macports to get tools that are native to linux on a mac.  Metasploit is available for mac along with burpsuite and beef.  Its harder to set them up but the resources are out there for it.

Might also try VMware vs VBox. VBox is no the most stable thing. Fusion would probably be better integrated, but dual boot also probably better route for native hardware access, as you can't use built in wifi under virtual machines without them being USB dongles.

I dont know about the mac mini but my mbp wifi wont go into monitor mode.  I have not done any research on how to fix it or have done anything to check it out because I use an Alfa adapter anyway.  The wifi will connect to the internet though and I use Vbox because it is free and ive never had a problem with it yet.

17 hours ago, b0N3z said:

I dont know about the mac mini but my mbp wifi wont go into monitor mode.  I have not done any research on how to fix it or have done anything to check it out because I use an Alfa adapter anyway.  The wifi will connect to the internet though and I use Vbox because it is free and ive never had a problem with it yet.

If you're talking about using onboard wifi with a virtual machine, at most it can only share connectivity with bridged connections or already connected wifi. It has no control over the device itself such as monitor mode, which would require a dedicated card over USB. VBox, and VMware both have this issue as well as all hyper-visors that I am aware of. Resources between motherboard hardware and VM's are shared/emulated while a USB adapter(and other USB devices other than keyboard and mouse) can be used exclusively in a VM as dedicated devices.

no I was talking about the onboard if you boot Kali or another linux with dualboot.  For all the VM I use, I use a usb wifi for.  But even if you boot linux as your main OS the Apple onboard wifi has never worked for anything but connecting to the internet.  

Now this puzzles me and im going to have to do some research but in OSX you can make a hotspot with your onboard wifi, so is that a software based thing or why wouldnt the onboard make a hotspot if you boot say kali and set everything up correctly.  Im going to try this later.

7 hours ago, b0N3z said:

no I was talking about the onboard if you boot Kali or another linux with dualboot.  For all the VM I use, I use a usb wifi for.  But even if you boot linux as your main OS the Apple onboard wifi has never worked for anything but connecting to the internet.  

Now this puzzles me and im going to have to do some research but in OSX you can make a hotspot with your onboard wifi, so is that a software based thing or why wouldnt the onboard make a hotspot if you boot say kali and set everything up correctly.  Im going to try this later.

More than likely, it's only wifi connected capable, meaning no drivers for injection or monitor mode. Many windows laptops have the same issue, which is why people generally carry a few USB wifi cards. My newer laptop, wifi does not work with kali. My older laptop, did. it's just whatever is in the chipset and if it's on the compatible driver list. This issue is as old as time itself..lol It's rumored Moses raised his fist in anger for not having reliable wifi, so God sent him a staff with an embedded yagi antenna for better reception..