connecting nano to linux box shuts off wifi

GrooDaWanderer

A weird situation I hope someone can help me with.

Running Kali on my laptop, installed nano as per instructions on hak5 video "Wifi Pineapple Nano: Linux setup" and as soon as the nano is up I can no longer access internet via wifi.

If I go to USB Ethernet and turn it off my Wifi starts working again.  I can still access the Nano through Firefox but it has no access to modules or bulletins.  When USB ethernet is on it still has no access to modules or bulletins.

I did a firmware update on the unit through windows 10 originally but as I don't plan to try to use Win10 as a pen testing platform I have subsequently gone through the setup again with Kali and Linux Mint with the same result as above.

Ideas anyone?

I had the same issue. For the issue was that a new default route was showing up and replacing the old default route, and the nano was being used as the default gateway. If you plug in the nano and run "sudo route" you should be able to verify if this is your issue. I wrote a small script to solve the issue and give the nano internet access through my laptop. I don't have it right now but I can post it later.

There's a wp6 script available too which might solve the issue. I haven't used it so I'm not sure if it will but you can find it here :)

Here's the script I mentioned in the other post

#!/bin/bash

IFACE_IN=$1
IFACE_EX=$2
GW=$3

ifconfig $IFACE_IN up
ifconfig $IFACE_IN 172.16.42.42 netmask 255.255.255.0

route del default gw Pineapple.lan
route add default gw $GW netmask 0.0.0.0

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o $IFACE_EX -j MASQUERADE
iptables -A FORWARD -i $IFACE_EX -o $IFACE_IN -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -i $IFACE_IN -o $IFACE_EX -j ACCEPT

Use like "sudo ./script <pineapple_interface> <computer_wifi_interface> <wifi_router_address>"

It sets the IP address for the pineapple's interface to 172.16.42.42, then removes the route added by the pineapple and adds in the correct default route. After that it enables IP forwarding and sets up NAT using iptables.

Try running it ~10 seconds after you connect the pineapple. Hopefully it will solve your issue.