Booting Kali off USB

soDDаксиома

1. Make sure the Surface Pro device is turned off.
  2. Attach a bootable USB storage device.
  3. Hold the volume-down button.
  4. Press and release the power button.
  5. When the Surface logo appears, release the volume-down button.
  6. The Surface Pro should boot from the attached USB device.

Remember that Surface Pro expects a UEFI boot device, which means it should be formatted with FAT32 and not NTFS.

Ive heard of some computers not booting any other OS than win10.  I had win10 on my custom built pc and it would not boot into a usb to same my life but when i took the hdd out of the machine it boot usb just fine. 

1 hour ago, b0N3z said:

Ive heard of some computers not booting any other OS than win10.  I had win10 on my custom built pc and it would not boot into a usb to same my life but when i took the hdd out of the machine it boot usb just fine. 

I heard about this too. I was reading an article a couple of months back about Lenovo selling "Windows Signature" PCs that wouldn't allow you to install any other OS.

OP, it should say on the box if what you got is a "Windows Signature" device. Hopefully it's not the case and what Malfuction suggested works :)

10 hours ago, Malfuction said:
  1. Make sure the Surface Pro device is turned off.
  2. Attach a bootable USB storage device.
  3. Hold the volume-down button
  4. Press and release the power button.
  5. When the Surface logo appears, release the volume-down button.
  6. The Surface Pro should boot from the attached USB device.

Remember that Surface Pro expects a UEFI boot device, which means it should be formatted with FAT32 and not NTFS.

I've tried this, it still won't boot from the USB.  I'm lost...

The surface might be locked to not boot off of USB connected to it, and may have some other internals preventing this from happening. Only suggestion I can make, is try to make an EFI bootable USB stick. This is meant for MAC setups, but might work for windows:

http://docs.kali.org/installation/kali-linux-hard-disk-install-on-mac

http://docs.kali.org/downloading/kali-linux-live-usb-install

The USB drive might need rEFInd to boot off UEFI. Has nothing to do with FAT-32 or NTFS, but more the EFI files its looking for secure boot. If it is setup like the Lenovo, would probably not work as there is another hardware layer you'd have to bypass in the secure boot process, although I believe that has been cracked by leaked keys, not sure how that works. Google is your friend(or enemy depending on how you look at them).

You're creating a live version on USB, just make sure when installing to the USB, you're not wiping an actual HDD or partition on the host system. You can prepare this using a VM as well which will also limit issues against the host system, doing it from a virtual guest machine. I've not had to make one for EFI before, so not sure how the process goes, but know we had those links on our site.