Autossh on Raspberry Pi

Rainman_34

So it seems I am missing something here and I can't seem to figure out what I am doing wrong so any help here would be greatly appreciated.  I have a Raspberry Pi 3 running Raspbian Jessie Lite and I have a VPS that I want it to automatically connect to.  I am having a couple of issues and the first one is when I issue the following command nothing happens and by that I mean a netstat -antp still shows the port closed on the VPS. For security purposes I in the example I am using random port numbers but when I give the command I am using the actual ports that my ssh is running on.

autossh -i secretkey.pem -f -N -M 0 1111:localhost:4444 user@VPS -p 5555 -o "ServerAliveInterval 360" -o "ServerAliveCountMax 5"

When I issue the following command though autossh works and makes an ssh connection but because I have removed the -f flag it opens a connection in my terminal and once I exit the terminal it closes the connection and the port on my VPS

autossh -i secretkey.pem -M 0 1111:localhost:4444 user@VPS -p 5555 -o "ServerAliveInterval 360" -o "ServerAliveCountMax 5"

The next issue is that when I put the same command from above into a cronjob with @reboot no connection is made to the VPS when I reboot the Pi.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

49 minutes ago, digininja said:

Do you know that @reboot is working in Cron? It seems to be quite temperamental

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/109804/crontabs-reboot-only-works-for-root

I'd put the command in rc.local or in a proper init script rather than rely on cron.

@reboot is working as I have some other stuff working in there but I will try the rc.local this weekend.  Thanks for the help.