Where to start?

Reckless Pancake

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on what you enjoy doing or what kind of hacking you are planning to do. I find the rubber ducky fun, but there aren't many sitiuasions where you will use it tbh, pineapple is extreamly powerfull and easy to use tool, the LAN turtle is also really good but I wouldn't recommend it for a rookie. If I were you I save a bit more money and grap the pineapple, and then grab a chap arduino as a rubber ducky. I'd recommend getting the Lan turtle later.

I'd argue learn how your systems work first. Then setup a home test lab.

A Ducky or Turtle are both wonderful pieces of tech, but I'd recommend checking some of the books from no starch press also to go alongside the items. 

If $75 (US) is your budget: a LAN turtle.  Its $50, and gives you a highly tight linux computer to work with.  Getting things done on this will vastly improve your chops.

(a raspberry Pi *not* running kali to start.  Metasploit, the only thing I haven't gotten installed on Raspbian, is not what you need yet)

But if just starting out?  Command line. (NO mouse, NO GUI) Learn linux/bash, and networking.  (setting a gateway, and a DNS isn't learning networking, its bare basics.  Proxies, static routes, wpasuplicant, etc. is what you want to understand very well.)

I *almost* love bash.  I can get just about any system type stuff done.  But it typically, involves SED and AWK, and as awesomely powerful they are, they are archaic, convoluted, and beyond confusing.  But *need* to be learned at their basic levels.

Bash is that annoying loyal friend you need to keep around.

Edited by anode

On 1/14/2017 at 6:23 AM, Rkiver said:

I'd argue learn how your systems work first. Then setup a home test lab.

A Ducky or Turtle are both wonderful pieces of tech, but I'd recommend checking some of the books from no starch press also to go alongside the items. 

A quick plug for No Starch Press.  If you buy the paper version of the book, you get a free (DRM free too!) e-book version.

(and even if you buy a paper version at a con!  Support your local B-Sides!)

Love the guys at No Starch Press!