Lan Turtle factory reset problem

NotGiven

I have followed the wiki steps for factory resetting the Lan Turtle ( https://lanturtle.com/wiki/#!index.md )

In addition to this, I have followed this fellow who seems to have had the same problem. (And fixed it)

However, I am having absolutely no luck reaching the internal webserver of the lan turtle. Once I type in 192.168.1.1 into my web browser, it hangs for approximately 2 seconds, and states that there is no internet.

If someone could help me asap, it would be greatly appreciated, as I need it for a demonstration this week. (Tomorrow evening)

Thank you for your time.

PS. If it helps, I am on the Parrot operating system, although I do have both windows and default debian installed as well. (I've tried all 3 OSs, and still no luck.)

2 hours ago, NotGiven said:

Nope. I checked to be sure though. Its got it auto assigned through DHCP. And plus, when I was trying to access the internal web page of the lan turtle, I was completely disconnected from the internet.

Are you connected to any other network while trying this? Make sure you disconnect from any WiFi or wired connection, and make sure the lan turtle does not have an Ethernet cable plugged in. 

Alright, I called in a few favors and got my presentation postponed until Sunday, so now I have more time for us to (hopefully) get this all figured out.

Also, for extra measures, I turned off my WiFi router and tried to access the turtles interface again. (still no luck)

17 hours ago, NotGiven said:

Nope. I checked to be sure though. Its got it auto assigned through DHCP. And plus, when I was trying to access the internal web page of the lan turtle, I was completely disconnected from the internet.

What IP address was auto assigned?  It's been a bit since I reset my LanTurtle but I believe you have to maually assign a 192.168.1.2 in that mode, it should only be doing DHCP in standard mode.  Which could mean you aren't getting it into factory reset mode and I'll admit it is a bit tricky to get it in that mode with the location of the button without using a usb extension cord to make it easier.

It auto assigned to 192.168.1.2, but I went ahead and statically assigned it to that as well.

On a side note, is there a certain amount of time I should hold the button before plugging it into my computer? Because the way I took the wiki was: "Hold the button in while you get ready to plug it into your computer, and once you plug it into your computer, hold the button for an additional three seconds"

Edited by NotGiven

2 hours ago, NotGiven said:

It auto assigned to 192.168.1.2, but I went ahead and statically assigned it to that as well.

On a side note, is there a certain amount of time I should hold the button before plugging it into my computer? Because the way I took the wiki was: "Hold the button in while you get ready to plug it into your computer, and once you plug it into your computer, hold the button for an additional three seconds"

Interesting about it being auto-assigned I don't think I had that happen before but if it's not getting a 172. address autoassigned I would think you would in the correct mode.

And as I recall that's how it should be taken from the wiki: hold the button down (don't think it matters how long) plug it in, hold the button down for a bit afterwards (if it said 3 probably no harm in holding it for 5-10 seconds).  Then you should be able to connect to the 192.168.1.1 if you have just 192.168.1.2 statically set with the subnet and nothing else.

I will go ahead and note the times I've done it I've used Windows to connect and access the firmware upload page.  Past that I might would recommend using different browsers/incognito mode without additional add-ons enabled things like that to try as well.  I don't recall having any issue like that but I have seen other firmware upload pages on other routers and  such have issues with all but one browser and that one browser could be any of the major browsers (in one case I even had to use IE even though it didn't do anything with active x) out there sometimes.  I want to say I just used Chrome or Firefox and didn't have any issues when I tried it previously.

If I have some time later tonight or tomorrow; I'll try to go through the process on my mint laptop and document the steps I take to convey them here better than just from my memories of it.

1 hour ago, bored369 said:

Interesting about it being auto-assigned I don't think I had that happen before but if it's not getting a 172. address autoassigned I would think you would in the correct mode.

And as I recall that's how it should be taken from the wiki: hold the button down (don't think it matters how long) plug it in, hold the button down for a bit afterwards (if it said 3 probably no harm in holding it for 5-10 seconds).  Then you should be able to connect to the 192.168.1.1 if you have just 192.168.1.2 statically set with the subnet and nothing else.

I will go ahead and note the times I've done it I've used Windows to connect and access the firmware upload page.  Past that I might would recommend using different browsers/incognito mode without additional add-ons enabled things like that to try as well.  I don't recall having any issue like that but I have seen other firmware upload pages on other routers and  such have issues with all but one browser and that one browser could be any of the major browsers (in one case I even had to use IE even though it didn't do anything with active x) out there sometimes.  I want to say I just used Chrome or Firefox and didn't have any issues when I tried it previously.

If I have some time later tonight or tomorrow; I'll try to go through the process on my mint laptop and document the steps I take to convey them here better than just from my memories of it.

Alright, I will certainly try it again on windows. I think I've got internet explorer unmodified but I'll DL google chrome as well and try it on there as well. I appreciate the help, and I'll report back as to whether or not it worked.

Sorry, rough holidays (couldn't access things to respond while i was traveling due to a crashed video card driver helper *don't ask*).  

But I did end up trying it on my Mint OS and it went through same steps as on the wiki guide.  Didn't have to have any routes added and didn't have anything networked except the the lan turtle's usb side plugged in.  Set the static ip on that adapter and was able to access the recovery interface without any issues.  Updates and all seemed to go through fine as well.  Mine did not auto-assign a 192. address though, I had to statically set it so I'm not sure how you were getting that auto-assigned.

Its alright, I understand. Also, hmm. I don't know what could be the problem then because I'm following all the steps exactly as written. I mean, the only thing I can think of now is to send it back...but I don't know whether or not it's a hardware error. And I don't want to pay a restock fee. 

To me, I shouldn't be having any problems with it due to the fact the I didn't deviate from the guides at all. 

I'm at a loss as to what I should do now.

Edited by NotGiven