Reversing Mavic Pro Firmware

Geodesix

Not sure if the forums have been updated but had to re-create my account here for some reason.  Anyhow...  Just saw the episode on the mavic, there was a thread on mavicpilots.com that was discussing the reversing of the mavic firmware, though it seems to not be available anymore so I grabbed a cached copy of the thread, I was able to get page 1,2,3,5 so if anyone can find page 4 it would be appreciated.  Anyways, I'll post a blurb but wanted to check if I'm allowed to post the txt of the thread as DJI was likely the people who had it pulled off the other site.  Let me know if I'm allowed to post it here, don't want you in trouble with DJI...

"We extracted the Mavic Pro firmware. You can download here https://expirebox.com/download/33a3e...d58655cc1.html

Interesting things:
- The Mavic runs Android KitKat.
- A secret command can be sent over USB which would switch a debug flag, and would run ADB over USB on the next boot. This ADB server allows regular debug root shell (basically, fully owning the Mavic).
- There seems to be a whilelist of device for which this "super debug" mode is enabled once present on the same network.
- OcuSync, like LightBridge, seems to be a regular SDR interface with IP stack running on top it.
- BusyBox FTPD is running on all interfaces, but unlike Phantom 3, in Mavic it's restricted to '/ftp' directory. Luckily, there are underground 0day exploits for FTPD for path traversal. I can confirm that you can traverse out of the '/ftp' directory and reach the init scripts to set debug flag. After reboot, now USB has ADB running on it, with root shell.
- Bypassing the 500m ceiling turned out significantly easier than we anticipated. An exercise left for the readers smile.gif
- Finally, with our debug root shell, we're currently trying to poke around with the SDR interface to see how EC restrictions are applied (we of course know it's GPS-based on boot-time). If we manage to reverse-engineer this part, this means we can bypass the restriction. At the moment, the only way to bypass the EC restriction and enabled FCC mode in EU is to falsify GPS signal on boot time using HackRF GPS signal generation.

Fingers crossed! Any results we achieve with the Mavic can pretty much be translated to Phantom 4."

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are two videos for the hardware enthusiasts among you...

Pay particular note to 1:21 seconds into this iFixit tear down of the mavic where they show an onboard microsd card that is GLUED in under a metal shield, might wanna have a look at what's on that card...

And here is another teardown but this time, just the remote...

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a few requests so I'll post this, it's not formatted, just txt but gives you an idea of the discussion...

"Anybody interested in reversing the Mavic firmware?
Discussion in 'Mavic Pro Discussions' started by P0V, Nov 19, 2016 at 8:57 AM.
P0V
We extracted the Mavic firmware ExpireBox | Mavic_Latest_Firmware_01.02.7z
We're doing some reverse-engineering on it right now. So far, we're getting some very good progress.
If anybody is interested, hit me up so we can exchange ideas.

Updates on what we've found and done so far:
The firwmare was acquired by intercepting the traffic between DJI Assitant and DJI servers during firmware update process. More info here
We acquired root access to the Mavic. Through that we can manipulate the Mavic however we like. This includes . More info here
We can manipulate FCC/EC switching, override no-fly areas, and disable the 500 meter altitude limit. More info here
We discovered that there's a conventional IP network between the Mavic and the remote controller when in RC mode. More info here

#1 P0V, Nov 19, 2016 at 8:57 AM
bieh
This is very interesting -- so it's running Linux internally.
EDIT: Android, more like.
How did you get the firmware?

#2 bieh, Nov 19, 2016 at 9:14 AM
 bieh
Anyway, let me know where you're discussing this :)

#3 bieh, Nov 19, 2016 at 9:27 AM
 P0V
bieh said: ↑
This is very interesting -- so it's running Linux internally.
Specifically, it's running Android KitKat.
More interesting stuff:
FTPD on port 21 in WiFi mode is provided by BusyBox, which has path traversal vulnerability. You can escape the "/ftp" jail and modify init scripts. Check "start_dji_system.sh" and "adb_en.sh" for the flags you need to enable ADB on the regular Mavic USB port. As you can see, the kernel has secure flag set to 0, which means "service.adb.root 1" will allow ADB to spawn root shell. After you get the root shell there, you can enable SSHD with your own root password, which will give you SSH access to your Mavic over WiFi for convenience. It's absolutely important to set a very strong password, you don't want somebody SSHing to your Mavic mid-air.
We've discovered 3 other ways to enable debug mode (ADB on USB with root): One is a backdoor by DJI, which makes sense for maintenance purposes, the 2nd is yet another vulnerability in another software essential to the Mavic, and the 3rd one is not directly software-based. For now, we won't be discussing those publicly.
Well, with the root access, now you can pretty much do anything you want. Interesting things include SDR interface modification (freely switching between FCC and EC modes), patching the 500m ceiling, no-fly areas override, etc.
Luckily, all of that requires a lot of technical knowledge and skills, so this greatly reduces the number of people who will be able to do this. People who will be able to do this are probably not morons who will do things like fly over airports for example.
Also, anything done with this should be done with caution as you'll very likely brick your Mavic a few times. So make sure you understand how to recover it first.
As always, you're fully responsible for your actions.
 #4 P0V, Nov 19, 2016 at 9:47 AM
 bieh
P0V said: ↑
More interesting stuff:
Neat. Unfortunately I don't have a Mavic to test on, so I was just poking around the firmware dump -- nice to see my suspicions about ftpd being vulnerable were correct. 
Did you notice it used to be called the "Maverick"? :)
busybox sed -i -e 's|ssid=Maverick|ssid=Mavic|' /data/misc/wifi/hostapd.conf.back
 #5 bieh, Nov 19, 2016 at 10:14 AM
 Guitarzan
This is very interesting. I've written HTML, BASIC, and some C+, but it was still hard to keep up...me thinks P0V knows something about code!  Thumbswayup
 #6 Guitarzan, Nov 19, 2016 at 10:57 AM
 P0V
How did you get the firmware?
Sorry, forgot to answer that.
We got it by intercepting the traffic between DJI Assistant 2.0 and DJI servers during the firmware downgrade process.
Guitarzan said: ↑
This is very interesting.
Indeed it is. We were never really motivated to mess around with the Phantom 4, but now the Mavic got us interested. It would appear that most results achieved by reversing the firmware of the Mavic are directly applicable to the Phantom 4. Specifically, FCC/EC switching, 500m ceiling, and no-flight areas unlocking.
At the moment, we're mostly interested in the IP stack over the SDR. We're very close to get SSH access directly over the RC link rather than the WiFi link, and even download the still pictures and flight logs directly mid-air. We'd consider this to be a milestone step.
 #7 P0V, Nov 19, 2016 at 11:08 AM
 bieh
Right, cool -- I saw the SDR brings up an IP link, so I guess you could SSH directly from a phone connected to the RC. 
Are you doing this in person, or is there a IRC channel or something you're working in? I don't have a Mavic yet, so I can't be of much help -- but I'd be interested to lurk and watch :)
 #8 bieh, Nov 19, 2016 at 11:26 AM
 P0V
Right, cool -- I saw the SDR brings up an IP link, so I guess you could SSH directly from a phone connected to the RC.
Are you doing this in person, or is there a IRC channel or something you're working in? I don't have a Mavic yet, so I can't be of much help -- but I'd be interested to lurk and watch :)
You can't SSH directly from the phone because the phone isn't in the RC-link network. You need to somehow get port forwarding through USB from the phone to the remote controller, and from there to the Mavic. This is quite complicated. For some reason, the same debugging backdoor that worked for the Mavic isn't working for the controller. Without ADB server running on the controller, it's going to be difficult to reach the Mavic from the phone.
Next step is to intercept the USB traffic between DJI Assistance 2.0 and the controller during upgrade/downgrade to see if it's sending some special command to enable to enable ADB. Let's see how that goes.
We're doing this in person.
 #9 P0V, Nov 19, 2016 at 11:39 AM
 bieh
No worries. Good luck -- and keep the thread updated :)
 #10 bieh, Nov 19, 2016 at 11:46 AM
 Mavic
Mavic Member
Maybe you should not discuss to many things about how to access it. DJI might read here and know what to fix.
__ 
www.mavic-pro.help
 #11 Mavic, Nov 19, 2016 at 1:07 PM
 P0V
Mavic said: ↑
Maybe you should not discuss to many things about how to access it. DJI might read here and know what to fix.
We believe that knowledge should be free and accessible. If that means DJI will fix the access routes we currently have, we have no problem with that. In fact, that's part of the fun  :). We discover something, DJI fixes it, and then we discover something else after that.
DJI is a cool company that generally believes in openness, especially with their work on the SDK. We'd like DJI even more if they give some registration process that gives power users full access to the products they buy, but that's what we have now (partly due to regulations imposed on DJI, and partly due to DJI wanting to preserve certain intellectual property). Also, with the level of access the previous information gives you, one can easily disregard DJI automatic updates and backport specific bug fixes by DJI without needing to update the full firmware and lose any of the access
 #12 P0V, Nov 19, 2016 at 1:19 PM
 ferraript
(freely switching between FCC and EC modes), patching the 500m ceiling
I agree this is veeery interesting :)
good job so far guys
and how about Phantom 3 series, would it be possible to do something similar too?
edit: this thread may be interesting for you too, BudWalker, msinger
 #13 ferraript, Nov 19, 2016 at 2:58 PM
Last edited: Nov 19, 2016 at 3:14 PM
 P0V
ferraript said: ↑
and how about Phantom 3 series, would it be possible to do something similar too?
For Phantom 3 Standard and Phantom 3 4K, this is already easily done. You can find those online. Make sure you understand the risks first.
As for Phantom 3 Advanced and Phantom 3 Pro, there are currently no publicly available methods to override FCC/EC selection or go beyond the 500m ceiling. However, it appears that the same method we're using for the Mavic Pro is also applicable to the Phantom 3 Advanced and Pro as well.
We're planning to regularly release information on what we're doing, what we find, and even give out technical details, etc. However, we won't be releasing any tools, scripts, or step-by-step guides.
 #14 P0V, Nov 19, 2016 at 3:19 PM
 ferraript
we won't be releasing any tools, scripts, or step-by-step guides
oh, that's not very good news for users
 #15 ferraript, Nov 19, 2016 at 4:23 PM
 The Editor
For Phantom 3 Standard and Phantom 3 4K, this is already easily done. You can find those online. Make sure you understand the risks first.
As for Phantom 3 Advanced and Phantom 3 Pro, there are currently no publicly available methods to override FCC/EC selection or go beyond the 500m ceiling. However, it appears that the same method we're using for the Mavic Pro is also applicable to the Phantom 3 Advanced and Pro as well.
We're planning to regularly release information on what we're doing, what we find, and even give out technical details, etc. However, we won't be releasing any tools, scripts, or step-by-step guides.
The problem is by advertising this you will attract the "Oh I want to mod my machine so I can fly illegally, higher and further" brigade
It has already started.
Fortunately, most will lack the cognitive process or intelligence to make these modifications or at best will corrupt their firmware sufficiently to render their machine grounded.
I applaud your reverse engineering but fear you are opening yourself up to requests for machine modification to circumvent sensible restrictions.
 #16 The Editor, Nov 19, 2016 at 4:32 PM
Last edited: Nov 19, 2016 at 4:45 PM
 Slat
The Editor said: ↑
The problem is by advertising this you will attract the "Oh I want to mod my machine so I can fly illegally, higher and further" brigade
It has already started.
Fortunately, most will lack the cognitive process or intelligence to make these modifications or at best will corrupt their firmware sufficiently to render their machine grounded.
I applaud your reverse engineering but fear you are opening yourself up to requests for machine modification to circumvent sensible restrictions.
If you want to fly illegally, don't need to buy a DJI and get complicated programing hacks, there other easy ways...
#17 Slat, Nov 19, 2016 at 10:29 PM
 Ed209
Nice work @P0V ! I work in the field of computer forensic analysis and malware analysis. I follow what you've done and you are right, this is monumental. I appreciate the determination and skill that you've put forth to accomplish what you have already. If I had more time, I would be jumping head first into this.
 #18 Ed209, Nov 20, 2016 at 12:19 AM
 P0V
Ed209 said: ↑
Nice work @P0V ! I work in the field of computer forensic analysis and malware analysis.
It's funny you should say that, because this is exactly what this entails :) We're essentially doing forensic analysis on the Mavic.
More updates:
We finally managed to gain root access to the remote controller. This was significantly more challenging than doing the same on the Mavic. We had to do it by physically writing directly to the device's internal memory to modify the booting scripts and add lines to run ADB as root (essentially, the same code from adb_en.sh). We're having some issues understanding the SDR-based IP stack. If somebody has experience with that particular area, please contact me.
There's no doubt that the in RC mode the remote controller and the Mavic are joined in a conventional network. We can see regular traffic flowing between them with tcpdump. This is absolutely fantastic! There's nothing anywhere online about this. We're very pleased with what we have so far.
This explains how easy it is for the mobile app to update the Mavic remotely through the controller.
Next steps:
Trying to somehow piggyback on this connection to do more fun stuff.
 #19 P0V, Nov 20, 2016 at 4:08 AM
 bieh
I'd be interested in
It's funny you should say that, because this is exactly what this entails :) We're essentially doing forensic analysis on the Mavic.
More updates:
We finally managed to gain root access to the remote controller. This was significantly more challenging than doing the same on the Mavic. We had to do it by physically writing directly to the device's internal memory to modify the booting scripts and add lines to run ADB as root (essentially, the same code from adb_en.sh). We're having some issues understanding the SDR-based IP stack. If somebody has experience with that particular area, please contact me.
There's no doubt that the in RC mode the remote controller and the Mavic are joined in a conventional network. We can see regular traffic flowing between them with tcpdump. This is absolutely fantastic! There's nothing anywhere online about this. We're very pleased with what we have so far.
This explains how easy it is for the mobile app to update the Mavic remotely through the controller.
Next steps:
Trying to somehow piggyback on this connection to do more fun stuff.
Fantastic!
What does the protocol look like? ie: when you send, say, a "go up" on the controller, what kind of traffic is generated?
(For context, I do some consulting for a little drone startup, building a prototype of software that controls Pixhawk-based drones from a base station -- it'd be neat to add a DJI backend to that, if only for my own amusement. Likely the IP protocol is the same between remote<-->drone as it is over wifi between phone<-->drone, so if I wrote something that generated that, I could connect the drone to wifi and send movement commands directly without faffing around with the mobile SDK or RC/phone hardware)
 #20 bieh, Nov 20, 2016 at 4:33 AM
Kilrah Well-Known Member
This is awesome! Will be following, even if unfortunately helping is likely out of my capabilities...
The power of the platform could allow for insane creative stuff with more access. Got a few ideas already...
 #21 Kilrah, Nov 21, 2016 at 3:22 AM
 Ender
Hi !
First of all: THANK YOU !
Sorry, forgot to answer that.
We got it by intercepting the traffic between DJI Assistant 2.0 and DJI servers during the firmware downgrade process.
Just to clarify things, you used WireShark or the likes ?
Specifically, FCC/EC switching, 500m ceiling, and no-flight areas unlocking.
Are we talking of patching binaries (IDA) or changing scripts ?
At the moment, we're mostly interested in the IP stack over the SDR. We're very close to get SSH access directly over the RC link rather than the WiFi link, and even download the still pictures and flight logs directly mid-air. We'd consider this to be a milestone step.
Is it totally out of the loop to add a USB2Ethernet Adapter and then maybe share the Video Stream from the Tx directly, maybe to a RPI on your HDMI Glasses to have low latency FPV ?
Sorry if thats BS, just the first thing that came to my mind.
ALSO do you have a toolchain to produce Mavic compatible binaries, i have an idea that i am currently following on the Bebop where the circumstances are (IMHO) comparable... Not to be disclosed yet, but needs a working toolchain...
Greetings,
Ender
P.S: Hi Kilrah ;-)
#22 Ender, Nov 21, 2016 at 8:58 AM
 P0V
Ender said: ↑
Just to clarify things, you used WireShark or the likes ?
We used sslsplit and tcpdump to get the packet dump. Then we used a tool called tcpflow to split the dump into TCP streams, then a tool called foremost to dump the files out of the TCP streams.
Are we talking of patching binaries (IDA) or changing scripts ?
None of the changes we made required patching any binaries so far. All of these are configurable functionalities in the Mavic. Once you enter this debug mode, it all opens up for you.
Is it totally out of the loop to add a USB2Ethernet Adapter and then maybe share the Video Stream from the Tx directly, maybe to a RPI on your HDMI Glasses to have low latency FPV ?
We've been looking into that heavily in the past couple of days. The idea is to attach an OTG WiFi adapter to the Mavic's big USB port, and route the SDR interface traffic to this WiFi interface. So far, we can't get it to work with the Edimax adapter we have. The idea is to have remote debugging capabilities while the Mavic is in the air.
ALSO do you have a toolchain to produce Mavic compatible binaries
Nothing fancy. Regular ARM compilation. At the moment, we're using DockCross for convenience, which is working very nicely. So far, we found no need to patch any binaries.
 #23 P0V, Nov 21, 2016 at 9:31 AM
 Ender
Thanks for the info.
I mentioned USB2Ethernet to get the data with lowest latency to the hypothetical RPI on my goggles.
And if using an OTG WiFi Adapter it should be 5G not to interfere with Ocusync, right ?
Right now my HDMI setup involves a MiraScreen 5GHz dongle on the goggles via Airplay :)
Not the best for latency but idiot proof i guess...
I dont have my Maviy yet (as the other poor 1.3 million guys) but that doesnt stop me from playing around...
If at all i can probably only of use when i really HAVE that Mavic...
Keep us updated, take care...
:)
Ender
 #24 Ender, Nov 21, 2016 at 9:56 AM
 infinity
More interesting stuff:
FTPD on port 21 in WiFi mode is provided by BusyBox, which has path traversal vulnerability. You can escape the "/ftp" jail and modify init scripts. Check "start_dji_system.sh" and "adb_en.sh" for the flags you need to enable ADB on the regular Mavic USB port. As you can see, the kernel has secure flag set to 0, which means "service.adb.root 1" will allow ADB to spawn root shell. After you get the root shell there, you can enable SSHD with your own root password, which will give you SSH access to your Mavic over WiFi for convenience. It's absolutely important to set a very strong password, you don't want somebody SSHing to your Mavic mid-air.
We've discovered 3 other ways to enable debug mode (ADB on USB with root): One is a backdoor by DJI, which makes sense for maintenance purposes, the 2nd is yet another vulnerability in another software essential to the Mavic, and the 3rd one is not directly software-based. For now, we won't be discussing those publicly.
Well, with the root access, now you can pretty much do anything you want. Interesting things include SDR interface modification (freely switching between FCC and EC modes), patching the 500m ceiling, no-fly areas override, etc.
Luckily, all of that requires a lot of technical knowledge and skills, so this greatly reduces the number of people who will be able to do this. People who will be able to do this are probably not morons who will do things like fly over airports for example.
Also, anything done with this should be done with caution as you'll very likely brick your Mavic a few times. So make sure you understand how to recover it first.
Interesting, 
"FTPD on port 21 in WiFi mode is provided by BusyBox, which has path traversal vulnerability. You can escape the "/ftp" jail and modify init scripts. Check "start_dji_system.sh" and "adb_en.sh" for the flags you need to enable ADB on the regular Mavic USB port.", 
--- How did you make it. Seems the path traversal is a very old bug and shall be fix in this android version(not sure).
 #25 infinity, Nov 21, 2016 at 10:26 AM
 Ender
@POV, could you give a hint about the configuration files (FCC / CE) ?
I found cool stuff already but not that...
But of course you have to draw the line about what to publish somewhere, maybe right here :)
Ender
 #26 Ender, Nov 21, 2016 at 10:43 AM
 Ender
It seems they have a huge unification between the build for the Mavic, COntroller and Goggles ?
Or are those switches between "uav", "gnd" and "glass" not referring to those Hardwares ?
Ender
 #27 Ender, Nov 21, 2016 at 10:51 AM
 Ender
Sorry for flooding, hope you dont mind...
I found the USB WiFi Card check, they are talking of the "secret" micro USB next to the LED, right ?
Ender
 #28 Ender, Nov 21, 2016 at 11:39 AM
 mavkiller
Really exciting!
I would like to have try on my Mavic.
But I don't have much idea on "FTPD on port 21 in WiFi mode is provided by BusyBox, which has path traversal vulnerability."
Could you share more details?
More interesting stuff:
We extracted the Mavic firmware ExpireBox | Mavic_Latest_Firmware_01.02.7z
We're doing some reverse-engineering on it right now. So far, we're getting some very good progress.
If anybody is interested, hit me up so we can exchange ideas.
Updates on what we've found and done so far:
The firwmare was acquired by intercepting the traffic between DJI Assitant and DJI servers during firmware update process. More info here
We acquired root access to the Mavic. Through that we can manipulate the Mavic however we like. This includes . More info here
We can manipulate FCC/EC switching, override no-fly areas, and disable the 500 meter altitude limit. More info here
We discovered that there's a conventional IP network between the Mavic and the remote controller when in RC mode. More info here
 #29 mavkiller, Nov 21, 2016 at 11:48 AM
 PropPilot
Slat said: ↑
If you want to fly illegally, don't need to buy a DJI and get complicated programing hacks, there other easy ways...
Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Yes, get a pilots license. The fidelity is much better when you are in the left seat with your hands on the controls Thumbswayup
 #30 PropPilot, Nov 21, 2016 at 11:49 AM
 P0V
infinity said: ↑
How did you make it. Seems the path traversal is a very old bug and shall be fix in this android version(not sure).
The vulnerability isn't in Android, as Android doesn't come with FTPD.
@POV, could you give a hint about the configuration files (FCC / CE) ?
You won't find it in any configuration file.
mavkiller said: ↑
Could you share more details?
Unfortunately, no.
 #31 P0V, Nov 21, 2016 at 12:00 PM
 Ender
@POV, okay, i was referring to your message "All of these are configurable functionalities in the Mavic".
So we might need to look at setprop or the likes.
But i guess your sparse answer shows the red line ;-)
What is your future expactation from this thread if you reached the limits of what you like to share ?
Will you publish further progress and or do you request help / testing ?
@mavkiller 
About the FTPD thingy: i guess if you switch the Mavic to WiFI mode you can access the media files via ftp and the demon running ftpd seems to have a known vulnerability to access the whole filesystem. Usually it is limited to the ftp directory and subdirs. A simple google will show you more info "busybox ftpd vulnerability"...
Greetings,
Ender
#32 Ender, Nov 21, 2016 at 12:29 PM
 P0V

What is your future expactation from this thread if you reached the limits of what you like to share ?
Will you publish further progress and or do you request help / testing ?
No specific expectations, really. We're just a couple of guys interested in learning how things work. Our goal isn't to achieve a specific thing like unlock a certain feature. The main idea was to see if people are interested in tinkering with their new toy, and giving them the tip of the thread that they can follow on their own, and for us learn from the people already doing this.
A simple google will show you more info "busybox ftpd vulnerability"
I'd be very surprised if you find details on this vulnerability on Google.
 #33 P0V, Nov 21, 2016 at 12:40 PM
 Ender
No specific expectations, really. We're just a couple of guys interested in learning how things work. Our goal isn't to achieve a specific thing like unlock a certain feature. The main idea was to see if people are interested in tinkering with their new toy, and giving them the tip of the thread that they can follow on their own, and for us learn from the people already doing this.
I'd be very surprised if you find details on this vulnerability on Google.
Okay, you surely spawned a lot of interest, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.
About the vulnerability: sorry then for my misinformation, i crossread the first few hits and it looked like there were references to the specific vulnerability you mentioned.
Well, all very academic before i get my Mavic, lets see if i can get it started then by myself or if the info "howto" leacked until then.
So i guess theres also no support from you concerning my secret agenda i follow on the Bebop, so it stays secret ;-)
Well, a tad frustrating but "hope is all we need" :)
Greetings,
Ender
 #34 Ender, Nov 21, 2016 at 12:53 PM
Last edited: Nov 21, 2016 at 12:58 PM
 Kilrah
The main idea was to see if people are interested in tinkering with their new toy, and giving them the tip of the thread that they can follow on their own, and for us learn from the people already doing this.
Yes I certainly am, would enjoy following along, have no interest in escaping limitations, but unfortinately your leads are already way beyond my capabilities (I can do a lot of poking at low level e.g. microcontroller firmware level and participate in firmware coding for standard RC radio encoders and RF links, but high level OS and security hacking is a huge dark cloud for me).
So yes I'm sure you'll find many who are interested in tinkering, but I'm afraid very few if any of them will have the skills to follow with the disclosed info.
 #35 Kilrah, Nov 21, 2016 at 2:45 PM
 Danny-B-
This is very interesting indeed, i wish i had the skillset to do half of what you guys have achieved so far. Personally, i'm very interested in hacking the FCC/CE restriction, I dont see the harm in creating a tool that (once developed enough) will simply unlock this restriction alone. In my eyes, the height restriction and safe zone restrictions should remain in tact but transmission power is fair game :)
 #36 Danny-B-, Nov 21, 2016 at 4:09 PM
 The Editor
Danny-B- said: ↑
This is very interesting indeed, i wish i had the skillset to do half of what you guys have achieved so far. Personally, i'm very interested in hacking the FCC/CE restriction, I dont see the harm in creating a tool that (once developed enough) will simply unlock this restriction alone. In my eyes, the height restriction and safe zone restrictions should remain in tact but transmission power is fair game :)
But.....obviously against OFCOM 2.4ghz spectrum fixed antenna EIRP laws which are 100mW/20dbm - just saying. :)
 #37 The Editor, Nov 21, 2016 at 4:12 PM
 Danny-B-
The Editor said: ↑
But.....obviously against OFCOM 2.4ghz spectrum fixed antenna EIRP laws which are 100mW/20dbm - just saying. :)
Yup, stupid law, I think i could live with myself for breaking it too ...
 #38 Danny-B-, Nov 21, 2016 at 4:20 PM
Mattman likes this.
 Ender
Its the same for aftermarket Antennae & Reflektors, of course they violate the same EIRP rule. The Sofware way would be less ugly :)
Butit seems we have to work out that by ourselves or hope for a leak.
I guess the stuff is in the properties and without a Mavic its hard to try that :)
So i have to wait for good news or the Mavic.
Ender
P.S. i agree for the Altitude limit and NFZ. Serious trouble waiting there.
The speed limint / max angle would be a better target, the Mavic can di much better then Sports mode, calling it that is close to hilarious. After hacking the angle limit i was able to go > 80 km/h on a smallish Bebop 1 ;.)
 #39 Ender, Nov 21, 2016 at 4:30 PM
 Chase R
Its the same for aftermarket Antennae & Reflektors, of course they violate the same EIRP rule. The Sofware way would be less ugly :)
Butit seems we have to work out that by ourselves or hope for a leak.
I guess the stuff is in the properties and without a Mavic its hard to try that :)
So i have to wait for good news or the Mavic.
Ender
P.S. i agree for the Altitude limit and NFZ. Serious trouble waiting there.
The speed limint / max angle would be a better target, the Mavic can di much better then Sports mode, calling it that is close to hilarious. After hacking the angle limit i was able to go > 80 km/h on a smallish Bebop 1 ;.)
This is the kind of stuff that would be better to share with the community. Love to see a Mavic zipping by an Inspire 2. ha
 #40 Chase R, Nov 21, 2016 at 4:50 PM
(You must log in or sign up to post here.)
Page 2 of 4
< Prev 1 2 3 4 Next >
Ender
Yup, and then there is that awful speed limit when you control via WiFi, i have some powerful devices (like NVIDIA Shield portable) that could work with the Mavic for a few hundred meters and be used for more ... interesting stuff then using DJI-GO.
So the limits on WiFi usage would also be on my list.
Ender
 #41 Ender, Nov 21, 2016 at 4:55 PM
 jimthebob
I just wanted to thank you for your findings and for freely sharing them with us. This is greatly appreciated!
Now off the replicate the same stuff... jailbroken mavic wooo! (im also pretty sure DJI will fix this soon with a fw update, thus we might need to intercept new fws and manually flash em while retaining root)
 #42 jimthebob, Nov 21, 2016 at 7:46 PM
 vashon100
That's interesting, but can you get it to switch into ATTI mode when you want? I'd rather have that before over-riding the altitude or no-fly limitations.
 #43 vashon100, Nov 22, 2016 at 2:56 AM
 Kilrah
+1, changing the bahavior of the sport mode switch to switch to ATTI instead would be an excellent use of those findings for added safety.
 #44 Kilrah, Nov 22, 2016 at 3:03 AM
 Ender
@Kilrah : Right but i guess thats exactly how DJI will do it for us.
As they (rightly) insist on a Hardware switch i guess we might be able to configure that switch beween normal & ATTI or normal & Sports mode, thats what i expect from DJI.
Ender
 #45 Ender, Nov 22, 2016 at 3:15 AM
 Ender
Hey all !
I'd like to summarize how i understood whats going on and would LOVCE you to add or correct what i am saying !
(POV of course would be most welcome, NOT adding new knowledge if you shy away from that but securing that we have a correct understanding of what you were willing to share)
We know that core features / options are configurable by manipulating contents on the Mavc as POV stated (flight limits, FCC / CE switching, NFZ).
If i write capital THEY i am talking of POV's group to make clear that thats "known good" stuff opposed to my and our assumptions...
How to get there ?
--- Getting the FW update File ---
First THEY managed to intercepted the communication between DJI Assistant and the DJI server --> check for updates, ah, there is a new version, download it.
THEY say: "We used sslsplit and tcpdump to get the packet dump. Then we used a tool called tcpflow to split the dump into TCP streams, then a tool called foremost to dump the files out of the TCP streams"
--->
I assume this could've done with wireshark and a liitle app but thats just an assumption before reading up the man pages of the tools above. Only interseting if we want to intercept the NEXT FW update...
So then they were able to get a feel for whats going on on the Mavic and what flavour of OS its running (Android 4.4, as always based on a Linux kernel)
--- Enabling ADB to get access ---
It seems the next step THEY took is to get ADB to work (Android Debug Bridge).
I am unsure how THEY exactly did that, this is my assumption:
They used a security hole in the busybox running most core commands on that flavour of Android.
Namely the path traversal exploit of the FTPD (== FTP Daemon, == FTP Server).
I googled for that and despite what POV said i found references but maybe the flavour we would need is something not to be found via google, i cannot know. The hints i found all work similar in a way: The FTPD is configured to present a certain folder and its subdirectories to the outside. That folder can be anywhere, lets just say it is "data/ftp". so one can access the files stored there, maybe even create new but one is in a "cage", not allowed to go up or out of that hierarchy. The exploit can be as simple as using a path like. ../../usr/etc/config.xml to "get" that file to your Desktop machine.
So far so good, something like this must have been used to get, edit and store startup Shell scripts to enable ADB.
THEY say:"Using path traversal exploit with FTPD: Check "start_dji_system.sh" and "adb_en.sh" for the flags you need to enable ADB"
I found that it seems really easy to enable ADB, tehre are lines in those files checking for "debug" and thus enabling ADB.
I wonder how its REALLY done as i can imagine getting those files and editing them on my machine (watch out for UNIX line endings).
But putting them back assumes the FTPD is allowed to do that. Is that a given ? I doubt that so there maybe is even more to it, can someone elaborate ?
--- Using ADB ----
THEY managed to get ADB going and thats a huge Leap forward.
I used ADB some times to gain root access or to get a telnet shell on the machine of interest or to push / pull files.
I wonder if thats the way ADB works on the Mavic once enabled and i guess YEAH :)
--> creating a Nandroid backup
I guess my first try would be to get a Nandroid Backup of the whole machine for two reasons:
-always feels good to have a backup although its unclear how to restore if i **** up badly.
-Decoding partitions to look at the parts we dont have in the FW update file (especially data partition where the food stuff might be)
--> root access: it seems root comes naturaly once you have ADB access which is great (THEY say: "the kernel has secure flag set to 0, which means "service.adb.root 1"").
Thats probably the first thing swithced off by DJI but we cannot hinder thim, this thing is out in the wild, POV posted in the rcgroups forum which is frequented by sveral DJI employees...
--> SSH access:
THEY say:"After you get the root shell there, you can enable SSHD with your own root password, which will give you SSH access to your Mavic over WiFi for convenience".
Could anyone elaborate how to do that ? there will be a config file somewhere allowing just that but i am oh sooo rusty, having played with Linux intensly last with my "empeg car" Linux car stereo (THEN revolutionary, NOW prehistoric).
--- Using root access via SSH or ADB shell ---
Well, we are root, HURAY... lets do things only root can do...
---> changing properties / files to do the Mavic what we want.
This is the most foggy part of POV's tales, from his answers i deduct (wrongly ??) that there is no config file where we can find cleartext stuff "FCC mode: on/off/auto" so we can lear what options are there and how to bend it our way.
As the Android on the Mavic must run an app or more to do the actual job of a Flightcontroller i guess those Apps will store their settings on the data partions in property files (usually XML).
My assumption is we should browse those files once we have adb / root / ssh access (maybe even using tools like root explorer and alike) or we can browse our decoded Nadroid backup decoded to files.
Anyone agree or disagree on that ?!
--- HOLY CRAP, I F*CKED UP MY Mavic ---
This can happen. To every one of us. Or we do stuff that leads the Mavic to fly away to the sunset. Or crash into our neigbours $1000000 Ferrari. Or into our beloved childrens face. THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU DO, PLEASE.
If it is one of the less bad things and the Mavic is simply unresponsive my hope would be to use an EMMC Interface to write back the stored Nandroid backup (or parts of it) to the Mavics non volatile memory directly.
But taht is all foggy and i would probably ask some friends or shell out money to people having the knowledge & equipment to do so. Well i AHVE an emmc Adapter but no idea if it would work on the Mavic or how to do that.
MAYBE POV could help us out in this respect to give us a safety line, could you let us know how to safely backup / restore our stuff so we do not face the ultimate punishment when messing aroud with the Mavic. Please do so. (Make that a PLEASE ;-) )
THIS IS THE END.
I feel stupid writing that as my Linux "skills" are so minimal but this is meant as a base where knowledgable people can add and correct the naive BS i wrote up.
Please dont feel too sorry for me, help us out instead and contribute !
Ender
P
 #46 Ender, Nov 22, 2016 at 4:01 AM
Last edited: Nov 22, 2016 at 8:39 AM
Mavic and Slat like this.
 FredzMaxxUAV
So did anyone try this out successfully? Someone wanting to give us mere mortals more information?
 #47 FredzMaxxUAV, Nov 23, 2016 at 12:44 PM
 Ender
Well someone from my home forum at least confirmed that the FTP is open but he is unwilling to do more so at least i have to wait until my Mavic shipped...
No news until some kind soul helps / leaks / experiments .
And as i am not the geek i'd like to be i'll try when i get my mavic but cannot guarantee anything :)
Ender
 #48 Ender, Nov 23, 2016 at 12:47 PM
As you have the "Mavic firmware" already, is it not as easy as "rooting" a Linux system?
Basically (Linux): Clone the system, mount the "ISO" in a running Linux OS, cd into it and change the hashed root password in /etc/shadow to something know, save it, and replace the rooted firmware back?
 #49 Guest, Nov 23, 2016 at 1:11 PM
 Ender
I dont think so. root is not the problem, getting access in the first place is the problem (getting a shell).
As POV sasi, first step is to enable ADB by uding the FTPD explot. then it should be simple to get root access.
If one wishes one could enable SSH but adb root shell would do for all we want to accomplish AFAIK.
Next riddle will be to locate where & how to change the stuf (FCC /CE mode, fligt limits etc.).
But the DETAILS how to do it will be hard for me and most novices. But as i said i cannot try w/o a Mavic.
Ender
 #50 Ender, Nov 23, 2016 at 1:22 PM
@P0V,
I hope you can/will answer this.
Are you guys able to flash the extracted Mavic firmware back again?
If so, what tools are you using for this? ADB?
 #51 Guest, Nov 23, 2016 at 2:12 PM
 Nathan Hoover
Very interesting thread. I would love to be able to get into ATTI mode when needed on my Mavic. And with the P3s and P4s many times I've had the problem of just needed 50 or 100 extra meters when flying up mountains - the 500m limit seems so arbitrary. Fun project you guys are working on.
 #52 Nathan Hoover, Nov 23, 2016 at 7:53 PM
 FredzMaxxUAV
Well someone from my home forum at least confirmed that the FTP is open but he is unwilling to do more so at least i have to wait until my Mavic shipped...
Hey Ender what do you mean by home forum? Link?
 #53 FredzMaxxUAV, Nov 23, 2016 at 8:10 PM
 Ender
FredzMaxxUAV said: ↑
Hey Ender what do you mean by home forum? Link?
Hi !
Its a German speaking Forum: "drohnen-forum.de" but it wont do you much good.
There is a discussion of THIS thread but the small tests we did were handled via PM...
Its a bit border-line to talk about "hacking" in open forums so if there happens something new i'll post it here but i wouldnt put money on that happening myself :)
Lets hope for more "leaks" about this !
Ender
P.S. i have to rely on others as i did not receive my order yet. Ordered at DJI on the first day but had a CC Problem and reordered in mid october, ARGHHH
 #54 Ender, Nov 24, 2016 at 4:48 AM
I guess that you are the same Ender on that forum (-;
Btw. Jailbreak is an iOS thing. In Android it's called "rooting", so maybe you should consider renaming that thread to "Mavic Firmware rooting / Custom Firmware" as the Mavic is running Android (-:
 #55 Guest, Nov 24, 2016 at 5:13 AM
Last edited: Nov 24, 2016 at 5:22 AM
 Ender
Yup :)
 #56 Ender, Nov 24, 2016 at 5:15 AM
 P0V
Guest said: ↑
I hope you can/will answer this.
Are you guys able to flash the extracted Mavic firmware back again?
If so, what tools are you using for this? ADB?
Yes, this is something I can answer. Unfortunately, we weren't at all able to flash the firmware back to the Mavic. Everything we tried has failed. The main problem is that we're not really sure how the Mavic goes into "fastboot" mode. For some very very odd reason, it just doesn't reboot in "fastboot" mode when issuing "adb boot recovery". This shouldn't happen, but I think that we somehow screwed up somewhere to cause this.
Additionally, flashing by tricking DJI Assistant 2.0 to flash our modified firmware doesn't work because the Mavic checks the signature of the firmware before accepting.
The only way we're handling backups at the moment is by physically extracting and re-flashing the NAND on the board. It's a lengthy and risky process, but it works. As a plus, this is a guaranteed method to "root" the device and have ADB enabled, since you can directly modify anything you want.
 #57 P0V, Nov 24, 2016 at 8:04 AM
Well for sure one could never exceed the Sensors specs but anything else is hard to say.
If you look how those guys hack the Allwinner V3 "El cheapo" 4k Cameras to actually deliver useful content then you must believe everything is possible.
First step is activating ADB, i tried to write down my understanding of the process some pages before, same still understanding here, and POV does not comment on that so thats all i have and the way i try to follow.
Ender
fallengod said: ↑
@POV
Can you take some picture of the location of the nand chip on both the drone side and the controler side and can it be backup using a clip adapter or i would need to reflow it to get it off?
is the nand also encrypted? or is as simple as reading off the nand and making changes in HEX and reflashing it back onto the drone?
I think you should post at least an simple how to on how to back up and restore the NAND, i know what im doing but even Im scared to experiment on a 1k toy that i waited 2 month for!
DIdnt you see the Teardown video (There are two for the Mavic and one for the Controller AFAIK) ?
There is a lot to see & to locate.
And the where / how to connect sj´hould be retirevable in the Net.
But of course you are 100% right about the risk. If there would be a "clean" solution at least for the backup...
POV did not buy into my question if you cant make a complete Nandroid backup via ADB.
IF thomething gets nasty and you need to flash back to the NAND directly there are always professionals who can help you for < $100.
But its a ******* risk...
I just want ADB to look around rooted and mod this or that, having a script active where i tell the thing to restore all original files next boot or the like...
Basically my 2 main interests are FCC / CE switch (as i live in CE area) and maybe angle limit but thats probably in the binary and only modifiable via IDA.
I interpreted POV in the way that the Filesystem is not encoded but of course i cannot know. If one can take the ADB way it doesnt matter as you do the job from the "inside". I guess if the FS is encrypted POV would have mentioned that when he talked about the EMMC hack of the Controller.
Ender
 #81 Ender, Nov 29, 2016 at 3:24 PM"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have the "leaked" decrypted 01.02. firmware with the readable .sh-Scripts but it doesn´t help me much :P

Tried to find out something about the "FTP-path traversal" with the "DotDotPwn"-tool in Kali linux. This would be the key - you can scan the directorys for specific filenames, find out the secret hostname/MAC-Adress in the whitelist-file and boot the mavic in ADB/root-mode....  
But this FTP-exploit was patched in the 01.03.0000-Firmware. My bird was already on 01.03.0200. I downgraded to 01.03.0000, but sadly can´t downgrade to anything below this to find out more :(

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/18/2017 at 8:38 PM, martinbogo said:

First post says "Anything should work with the Phantom 4" ... so far, I've been able to binwalk the P4 file... but I haven't been able to get ADB access.

Any progress on dealing with newer P4/Mavic firmwares?

Here is a tar of the latest Firmware I could find ( which I have unpacked ) for the Phantom 4.

MEGA : Phantom 4 Firmware

Thanks for that Martin... that was quite generous of you to share. Does anyone still have the original MAVIC firmware images? I didn't have the pleasure of my ftpd having dir traversal issues, so I am late to the party. 

The command line options on Assistant seem interesting... (this works on Windows too)

$ /Applications/Assistant_1_1_0.app/Contents/MacOS/Assistant --help

Usage: /Applications/Assistant_1_1_0.app/Contents/MacOS/Assistant [options]

Options:

-h, --help            Displays this help.

-v, --version         Displays version information.

--debugger            Run with a debugger window

--minimum             Show controller log minimum

--console             Run assistant as a console service, No browser Window!

--template            Load controller config from template!

--force_upgrade       Ignore the version when upgrade ENC firmware!

--bypass <DEVICE>     force all device as param [Receiver]|[DEVICE]|[Version]

eg Controller|ai900v2|3.1.0.2

--noskip              As default, upgrade pack file will skip those device

that is not connected, if define no skip, will try to

upgrade all pack file

--factory             Open Factory page

--baud_rate <DEVICE>  set com device baud rate

--auto_upgrade        enable auto upgrade

--cache_wget_file     debug only, used to cache wget files

--inrup               internal upgrade tool

--adb_logcat          Start ADB logcat function

--auto_test           Set to auto test mode

--test_server         Set to test server

--1706                Set DJI Vision to 1706

--sws                 Set Env to SWS

2 hours ago, MavproxyUser said:

The command line options on Assistant seem interesting... (this works on Windows too)

$ /Applications/Assistant_1_1_0.app/Contents/MacOS/Assistant --help

Usage: /Applications/Assistant_1_1_0.app/Contents/MacOS/Assistant [options]

Options:

-h, --help            Displays this help.

-v, --version         Displays version information.

--debugger            Run with a debugger window

--minimum             Show controller log minimum

--console             Run assistant as a console service, No browser Window!

--template            Load controller config from template!

--force_upgrade       Ignore the version when upgrade ENC firmware!

--bypass <DEVICE>     force all device as param [Receiver]|[DEVICE]|[Version]

eg Controller|ai900v2|3.1.0.2

--noskip              As default, upgrade pack file will skip those device

that is not connected, if define no skip, will try to

upgrade all pack file

--factory             Open Factory page

--baud_rate <DEVICE>  set com device baud rate

--auto_upgrade        enable auto upgrade

--cache_wget_file     debug only, used to cache wget files

--inrup               internal upgrade tool

--adb_logcat          Start ADB logcat function

--auto_test           Set to auto test mode

--test_server         Set to test server

--1706                Set DJI Vision to 1706

--sws                 Set Env to SWS

Does any of this work and show anything else when opening the app?

Yes... some of the functions do change the app behavior. 

Does anyone have wm220_debug_whitelist.xml.sig (mavic) or wm330_debug_whitelist.xml.sig (p4)?

The encrypted form is fine... if someone can get me that file I can share a bit more about the file scrambling of the files pulled from the magic ftpd. 

Since the JTAG connectors are so prominently accessible in the corner of the main board, it might be possible to read and write the firmware through this interface using a bus pirate or riff box or similar... as a suggestion.

19 hours ago, martinbogo said:

I can confirm that the JTAG is disabled on all production mavic and Phantom drones.

doing a boundary scan does reveal some of memory chips comma but the data is stored encrypted on the chip.

Doesn't happen to be encrypted by this key by any chance?

Password "gH*=[xH2{Rm@Q" is was found in libFlyForbid.so

https://github.com/MAVProxyUser/dji.nfzdb/commit/6aa4f34eb5ec835ebfd0cbacff86f29d482c5adb

1 hour ago, MavproxyUser said:
I am in the process of making this user friendly... here is the script to help you decrypt files off the ftp server. 

Nice I did see that I want to root my Mavic but it already has later than 300 on it where do I get the older firmware for it the link don't work anymore