PI Zero USB gadget, What to do?

b0N3z

So I now have my Pi zero working as a usb gadget with a usb port soldered and attached to the PI.  So im wondering what people are using the PI zero in gadget mode for?  Besides the Mubix-lock creds.

wow i didn't even know it could do that.  I have been using Nethunters for all the ducky stuff I have been playing with.

On 10/4/2016 at 9:40 AM, b0N3z said:

So I now have my Pi zero working as a usb gadget with a usb port soldered and attached to the PI.  So im wondering what people are using the PI zero in gadget mode for?  Besides the Mubix-lock creds.

@b0N3z - I am curious - why did you have to go down the path of soldering a USB port to the Pi Zero for this purpose?  Couldn't you just use the existing micro USB port (not the PWR port) and configure it as Ethernet over USB?  Or did you want to have the ability to plug it in like a USB thumb drive?

Got any links you can share?

2 hours ago, netzwerg said:

@b0N3z - I am curious - why did you have to go down the path of soldering a USB port to the Pi Zero for this purpose?  Couldn't you just use the existing micro USB port (not the PWR port) and configure it as Ethernet over USB?  Or did you want to have the ability to plug it in like a USB thumb drive?

Got any links you can share?

Basically I just wanted to be able to plug it in without a cord so I soldered the usb port on for simple plug and play, which is the same if I were to just use a micro usb cord.  I have a couple more raspberry pi zero's coming in the mail so I figured why not.  It makes it easier and I can still use the pi with the power micro usb and plug a usb hub into the data micro usb port and use it like that.  2 wires for the data and 2 wires for power through the GPIO pins.  If you haven't seen this done I can take pictures for you.  I haven't soldered in years and was a little afraid of messing it up but then I said hell with it and just did it.

http://imgur.com/a/S3eOL  Pictures with the USB port soldered on

Edited by b0N3z

33 minutes ago, b0N3z said:

Basically I just wanted to be able to plug it in without a cord so I soldered the usb port on for simple plug and play, which is the same if I were to just use a micro usb cord.  I have a couple more raspberry pi zero's coming in the mail so I figured why not.  It makes it easier and I can still use the pi with the power micro usb and plug a usb hub into the data micro usb port and use it like that.  2 wires for the data and 2 wires for power through the GPIO pins.  If you haven't seen this done I can take pictures for you.  I haven't soldered in years and was a little afraid of messing it up but then I said hell with it and just did it.

http://imgur.com/a/S3eOL  Pictures with the USB port soldered on

Nice.  I have just ordered my Pi0.  I'll try and run it over the micro USB port, as I am pretty sure I will burn stuff out if I try and solder again.  Been way way way too long since I picked up a soldering iron.

5 hours ago, pipe said:

I haven't tested this out yet, looking to buy a Pi Zero and Teensy 3.2, but I don't have the moolah.

That has been my plan also but never really got around to it yet.

19 minutes ago, netzwerg said:

Nice.  I have just ordered my Pi0.  I'll try and run it over the micro USB port, as I am pretty sure I will burn stuff out if I try and solder again.  Been way way way too long since I picked up a soldering iron.

That is what I did before I soldered it on and decided that, that is what i wanted to do with it.  Also its been 12 years since I soldered and it doesn't look the prettiest, but it did the job and its functional which was also my biggest worry.  This is what I saw and I wanted to do that so I did.  It was originally for the Mubix Stealling locked creds purpose, which makes it more portable.  I decided that it was kind of a waste for it to only do that so... 

20 hours ago, netzwerg said:

Same reason that I am looking at it too.  I REALLY wanted the USB Armory, but I can't justify the expense right now.  I also want to use it as a portable Kali instance.

that is why im getting a couple to play around with

20 hours ago, b0N3z said:

That has been my plan also but never really got around to it yet.

That is what I did before I soldered it on and decided that, that is what i wanted to do with it.  Also its been 12 years since I soldered and it doesn't look the prettiest, but it did the job and its functional which was also my biggest worry.  This is what I saw and I wanted to do that so I did.  It was originally for the Mubix Stealling locked creds purpose, which makes it more portable.  I decided that it was kind of a waste for it to only do that so... 

Saw this while I was searching. Very nice Video instructions!

Edited by §@₪ↁɱ@₪

pipe,  I will be doing that with the new one I get tomorrow along with a couple other things.  I would like to have the wifi and the usb dongle soldered on but Im still unsure how the gpio pins work complete. id like to solder the wifi dongle to the gpio pins and the dongle to the usb and 5v gpio but i dont know how the pi would see the wifi or what pin numbers to use for the data side of the wifi dongle.

Edited by b0N3z

• 3 weeks later...

First, he attaches the Raspberry Pi Zero running Pixel OS to his main computer as a USB network device, and then configures it to be useful. He sets up VNC on the Pi so that you can log into its desktop in a window, sets up networking on the Pi so that it can connect to the wider Internet through the laptop, etc. He installs OwnCloud so that the Zero serves as a cloud storage solution, only the “cloud” is plugged into your laptop’s USB port. The point of all this is getting the maximum benefit out of a Pi Zero without having to lug around any cables: just plug it in and you’re networked.

http://hackaday.com/2016/10/24/raspberry-pi-zero-as-a-usb-stick/

since the usb port is now blocked and cannot be used to increase storage capacity, one could solder an sd /mmc reader to the SPI-pins of the raspberry, so the OS and application data could be stored separated.

possible applications:

- any software you would want to have available with you all the time

- portable bitcoin wallet aka credstick (see also https://opendime.com/ )

network access for the pi is sadly limited to the routing capabilities of the host computer, which means internet sharing has to be enabled manually

On 10/31/2016 at 4:59 PM, watsee said:

Might be a stupid question, but can you run Duckberry Pi on a Pi0 & just use an OTG cable rather than soldering a port on? 

Yep, you can! Got one setup on the desk next to me in fact. Just plug the your USB Type-A to micro USB cable into the second port on the pi (not the one that says power) then when you plug it into the PC it will power it and send data. :)

11 hours ago, Vectre said:

Yep, you can! Got one setup on the desk next to me in fact. Just plug the your USB Type-A to micro USB cable into the second port on the pi (not the one that says power) then when you plug it into the PC it will power it and send data. :)

Brilliant, thanks for the advice. I'll get ordering & check it out. 

On 10/31/2016 at 11:59 AM, watsee said:

Might be a stupid question, but can you run Duckberry Pi on a Pi0 & just use an OTG cable rather than soldering a port on? 

That is exactly what I did for a while.  I wanted to clean up some space and cables on my desk so I soldered it on and Im glad I did.  It has saved me a lot of time and really easy to do.  I haven't soldered in 10+ years.  Just watched a couple youtube videos and went at it.

• 3 weeks later...

I had to order from adafruit which was like 9 for shipping, I also tryed cannakit and they also charged 9 for shipping. the only place ive seen for cheap was if you went to microcenter and pick one up at location other wise everybody charges like 9 for shipping