TETRA Issues when powered by USB

Super Shaft

My Tetra works perfectly when connected on the 12v plug of the Tetra but does not work when powered by USB, whether on my Linux Laptop or from an external battery like the pineapple juice 15000 sold by hak5. For your information, I connect on the plug eth1 of the Tetra with the Y USB cable. Any idea? Thank you.

I'm guessing when you say it doesn't work the Tetra does work but has issues when using both radios/full load? or does it literally do nothing?
Did you try both uUSB ports? so 1x Y cable from eth to laptop and the other Y cable from UART uUSB to a battery as well. If the issue persists then its not power related if it improves things then it could be your laptop USB power supply.

4 hours ago, Sebkinne said:

The WiFi Pineapple TETRA requires 18-24W of power. If you supply 5V, you need to provid  4-5 amps. This will most likely require two micro USB y-cables for a total of 4 ports used. 

Thank you for your answer. Is there a solution to get this TETRA mobile easily (not connected to the 12v plug)?

5 hours ago, Just_a_User said:

I'm guessing when you say it doesn't work the Tetra does work but has issues when using both radios/full load? or does it literally do nothing?
Did you try both uUSB ports? so 1x Y cable from eth to laptop and the other Y cable from UART uUSB to a battery as well. If the issue persists then its not power related if it improves things then it could be your laptop USB power supply.

Yes, the TETRA works but no connection is possible. Yes, I have tried exactly your solution with the Y cable + external battery. It works only with the 12V plug. Seems the TETRA needs more power.

36 minutes ago, Super Shaft said:

Thank you for your answer. Is there a solution to get this TETRA mobile easily (not connected to the 12v plug)?

Yes, with battery packs.

34 minutes ago, Super Shaft said:

Yes, the TETRA works but no connection is possible. Yes, I have tried exactly your solution with the Y cable + external battery. It works only with the 12V plug. Seems the TETRA needs more power.

It's possible your laptop is still not providing enough power, some laptops have "weak" USB ports in regards to power output.

3 hours ago, Super Shaft said:

Any link for such a battery pack working with the tetra? Thank you.

I personally use this one with 1 USB Y cable and haven't encountered any issues.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G1XH46M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It provides 2.4A per port which when multiple by 5V equals 12 watts, so with 1 USB Y cable you can reach the 24 watts @Sebkinne mentioned.

Additional note: For anyone considering this battery pack, I've used for ~5 hours at a time and it doesn't even take the pack down by 25%. It should be able to run for a whole day or more.

8 hours ago, Torrey said:

I personally use this one with 1 USB Y cable and haven't encountered any issues.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G1XH46M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It provides 2.4A per port which when multiple by 5V equals 12 watts, so with 1 USB Y cable you can reach the 24 watts @Sebkinne mentioned.

Additional note: For anyone considering this battery pack, I've used for ~5 hours at a time and it doesn't even take the pack down by 25%. It should be able to run for a whole day or more.

Thank you Torrey, I'll test it.

• 1 year later...
On 9/29/2016 at 9:21 AM, Sebkinne said:

The WiFi Pineapple TETRA requires 18-24W of power. If you supply 5V, you need to provid  4-5 amps. This will most likely require two micro USB y-cables for a total of 4 ports used. 

I just ordered the Tetra after having the nano and I found this thread after looking through almost all of them. lol

I’m thinking about ordering the battery pack below. It looks like it should output on the Y-splitter just fine.

Output (Qualcomm Quick Charge Port): 5-6.5V/3A,6.5-9V/2A,9-12V/1.5A
Output (Normal Port): 5V/2.4A (VoltiQ)

I’m just a little concerned about over-powering it if that’s possible...so using 2 ports would be 27W max at 5v. The power bank has VoltIQ- “Tronsmart's VoltiQ is explained as a technology that is able to detect a device and send the fastest charge by fluctuating amperage and wattage..”

Any thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075YS8C8H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_auBlBbQ4EXD9K

Archived