Beaglebone as a server?

Rainman_34

So my travel computer just died which only leaves me with my home server computer to travel with as I don't have the money to be able to purchase a powerful enough computer for doing my security audits when traveling.  However I want to be able to VPN back into my home network and run snort so that I can get e-mail attempts if anyone attempts anything nefarious on my network.  Can I use a beaglebone black running Kali Linux to serve as my VPN server and run snort to monitor that network while I travel with my other computer?

Edited by mojo0243

Let me see if I understand your question.  You want to do pentesting by carrying a small device with you when you travel such as a Beagleborne while you travel.  You show up at your client site remote into your home network from the device and then leverage tools on your home server to conduct your assessment.  Is that correct?

2 hours ago, pentestgeek said:

Let me see if I understand your question.  You want to do pentesting by carrying a small device with you when you travel such as a Beagleborne while you travel.  You show up at your client site remote into your home network from the device and then leverage tools on your home server to conduct your assessment.  Is that correct?

No I want the beaglebone black to serve as the VPN server and web/ssh server at my home so I can VPN back into my network and attack VMs on one of my home computers with another computer I travel with.

OpenVPN server on the beaglebone should work fine.

If you have VM's on the backend, one thing you can quickly do, is run an OpenVPN virtual server on one of the VM's though, which will quickly simplify things for you(even if you used a secondary kali VM).

You can download a pre-built OpenVPN server to do this quickly directly from OpenVPN's site or from the VMware appliance section of their site. Not saying the beaglebone wouldn't work as a VPN server, but any machine on the network could be used as a VPN server. You should make sure you secure any method you go with though, but that goes without saying.

Thanks digip.  I figured there would be no issues since it's not running anything other than the server but I wanted to make sure.  The reason I am not putting the vpn server on the vm computer is I only want to run one or two machines to attack at a time and the vpn server will also host a web server which will allow me to start ssh, ftp and vnc if needed.  Thanks for the help though now I just need to purchase the micro hdmi and usb splitter so I can get my beagle bone working.