Rugged Solar 3g/4g Reuter Project

eddysnowden

I'm trying to mod a sim based hotspot. I want to take the reuter which is somewhat fragile and not at all impervious to the elements and place it in a rugged waterproof case eg a pelican case with a larger antenna eg 35 dbi antenna, a large battery bank eg 20000mAh and a small solar array to charge the battery during the daytime. The goal is to have as simple a main interface as possible eg a single toggle switch which allows the reuter to broadcast 802.11 wifi while the battery is on and being charged by the solar panel. The help I need is in sourcing the parts (excluding the reuter which I have and the antenna) and designing the circuitry necessary to create a fuctioning version of this idea. Please dont hesitate to reply :rolleyes:

Quite a few variables, I'd start from the router and work back towards the battery. Be mindful of the max currant consumption of the router/system. You would need the solar charging system to be able to charge more than this currant to charge the battery while the router is in use. Solar panels come in many voltage outputs make sure you match the voltages to the charge regulator and the output from the regulator to the battery. The battery ideally needs to have pass through charging to allow use while charging or it gets more complicated using 2 batteries and a split charger for example. The battery has to have the capacity to run the router overnight before charging can start up again in the morning. its a nice idea to look at combined solar and wind charging if possible to combat this a little and give some redundancy. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Just_a_User

Thanks so much for contributing. Damn, that sounds alot more complicated than I was hoping for tho. Wind doesnt really work the unit has to be very compact, like a laptop sized pelican case, I still gotta make a working prototype. I sincerely appreciate your 2 cents, dont hesitate to message me or reply again if you want to further contribute to this project.

There is some bespoke kit already available that can do this for you but its comes with a price and isnt something fun to build.

Serious juice

Batt - https://www.powertraveller.com/en/shop/portable-chargers/professional/powergorilla/

Charger - https://www.powertraveller.com/en/shop/portable-chargers/professional/solargorilla/

Or lower power version

Batt and charger kit - https://www.powertraveller.com/en/shop/portable-chargers/outdoor-adventure/powermonkey-extreme-12v/

I haven't looked but maybe there are other manufacturers offering similar alternatives.