Pineapple mark 4 no internet

SystemCrash86

Hey Guys i'm digging out my old Wifi Pineapple mark 4 to see if i can put it to some use instead of it sitting in the corner.
Now i do have both wifi pineapples mark 5 and 6 and use them regular but i thought i would revitialize the mark 4.

I reflashed the mark 4 making it a fresh startup and everything works except there is something i find a little confusing -

I can not connect to the internet using the pineapple interface, which means i can not install infusions or check my public ip address.

This is odd becasue i am able to ping everything and get back no errors and i can even connect my other laptop to the pineapple and the internet works. I am able to use the internet on my computer when connected to the pineapple.

I am confused because there shouldn't be anything wrong yet i am unable to get a connection through the interface.

I can ssh into it, ping everything without error.

Does anyone have any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...

when you run wp4.sh is the internet set to the ip of your router or the default value.
The infusions bar wont work as there has been an issue with that for a long time,
hence my pet project MKIV infusions wanted see the post, you now load them manualy
using the scripts provided in the post.

see image ,Hope this helps

infusions go to this post

we now have all the infusions for ver2.8.1 and version 3 firmware.

Edited by kerravon

16 hours ago, mojo0243 said:

Kerravon,  what is the link for all of your infusions you have for the mk4 again?

https://github.com/WhistleMaster/Pineapple-MK4

and

http://securityninja.tech/pineapple/mark4/infusions/

Thanks for the information brother.  I saw some that I don't currently have that I think I may have to download to my hard drive for later in case I want them for something.  Better get them now before something crazy happens and they disappear in the lost world of the internet or the only people who know where they are stop using this forum lol.

I ran into this same issue and I have fixed a couple of the bugs that were causing the no Internet access and getting the module list. I'm not sure how I should proceed in posting this information though, as redistributing the firmware I believe is against the licensing agreement. I do have this fixed on my Mark IV though, at least for the most part. I could easily fix the downloading/installing of modules if they were hosted somewhere all tar/gzipped up. I know kerravon has gone through a bit to host the files, but they need to be in the original format for the original code to work. I may work on hosting them myself, but for now I'm just going to work on getting the files back into the format that the code is currently looking for. Then maybe someone will step up to host them or I'll finally get around to doing so. I'm willing to share my fixes, but I don't want to do so in a way that goes against licensing. 

I'm going to try to contact the original developers about this to see if I can get a clearer answer, but if one of them wants to respond here, that's fine as well. I'm trying to breath new life back into my Mark IV. Hopefully with a bit more effort I can make that happen and share that with the community. 

I think if you PM Darren he might be willing to work with you on this.  I don't know the guy but since they are about giving back to the community and the Mark IV is deprecated they might not mind you redistributing the firmware.  The firmware is still on their site though.  I think the key would be since they don't host the modules anymore would be pointing the firmware to a different directory for listing them in the pineapple bar.  That is where I think you might hit some road blocks is attempting to modify their firmware and then redistribute it.

He unfortunately has PM's blocked(completely understandable). I may try to shoot him an email. 

From what I've found, I think the modules are still on the site as well. The JSON feed of the modules is located here: https://www.wifipineapple.com/modules/mk4/ I just can't find the link to download the modules. If I had that we could keep everything hosted at Hak.5 with some minor code changes. The alternative is hosting it ourselves along with regenerating the JSON for the module list, as the md5 sums aren't going to match anymore. We have options, I just don't want to step on any toes or purposely break licensing agreements just to further this along for the community. I've learned in the past that going with the blessings of the original creator is always the better choice.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, I'm in the same boat as OP; I have a retired MK_IV that is looking to get some love again. I've been recently following along a tutorial that Hak5 has posted on the YouTubes about setting up an OpenVPN Access Server (really cool and fairly easy stuff, see below): 

I would like to use the MK_IV as the Access Point since it is WRT based, however, I cannot get the pineapple to connect to the Internet. The pineapple has been factory reset, and updated to the latest firmware (2.8.1), and I can connect to it no problem. I have tested Internet Connection Sharing to see if that works, and it does without a hitch (clients can connect to pineapple AP and get Internet). However, when the pineapple itself tries to get Internet - either by revealing public IP or by downloading Infusions list - it fails to connect. This is especially weird, because I can SSH into the pineapple and run a ping command to any IP / web address and get a successful response, but when I try to reveal the public IP through GUI, it errors out.

According to the above posts (if I understood them correctly), I can use the Network Manager infusion to get the pineapples Internet to work. Now, I saw @kerravon's post about downloading the Network Manager infusion from git where he so kindly posted the links to, but I'm unfortunately not savvy enough to figure out how to download those files so that I can scp it over to my pineapple, and I've never used Git before.

Would someone be willing to lend a hand and let me know what is the best way to get those files over to my pineapple? And if anyone above has already tried the Network Manager option, did it end up working for you?

I am currently using a Windows machine, but I have a Kali box available as well, in case this can only be done from Linux terminal.

I appreciate the help of the community!

*EDIT: Just realized that the following post below is trying to accomplish my exact same thing. Moderators, feel free to let me know if I should post under that topic instead, and i'll happily move it. Thanks!

Edited by JCAG

• 11 months later...

I have not found an answer for this in all of the Internets. Does anyone have some help?

Install returns the following:

root@Pineapple:~# opkg install openvpn-openssl
Package openvpn-openssl (2.3.11-1) installed in root is up to date.
Configuring liblzo.
//usr/lib/opkg/info/liblzo.postinst: line 4: default_postinst: not found
Configuring openvpn-openssl.
//usr/lib/opkg/info/openvpn-openssl.postinst: line 4: default_postinst: not found
Collected errors:
 * pkg_run_script: package "liblzo" postinst script returned status 127.
 * opkg_configure: liblzo.postinst returned 127.
 * pkg_run_script: package "openvpn-openssl" postinst script returned status 127.
 * opkg_configure: openvpn-openssl.postinst returned 127.

It appears there is an issue installing the dependencies.

root@Pineapple:~# opkg info openvpn-openssl
Package: openvpn-openssl
Version: 2.3.11-1
Depends: libc, kmod-tun, liblzo, libopenssl
Provides:
Architecture: ar71xx
Conffiles:
 /etc/config/openvpn 5d0a69b4290e1896d683289069351dcd
Installed-Time: 1511825392

root@Pineapple:~# opkg install libc
Package libc (0.9.33.2-1) installed in root is up to date.
Configuring liblzo.
//usr/lib/opkg/info/openvpn-openssl.postinst: line 4: default_postinst: not found
Collected errors:
 * pkg_run_script: package "openvpn-openssl" postinst script returned status 127.

Any ideas?

14 hours ago, skimpniff said:

I have not found an answer for this in all of the Internets. Does anyone have some help?

Install returns the following:

root@Pineapple:~# opkg install openvpn-openssl
Package openvpn-openssl (2.3.11-1) installed in root is up to date.
Configuring liblzo.
Collected errors:

It appears there is an issue installing the dependencies.

root@Pineapple:~# opkg info openvpn-openssl
Package: openvpn-openssl
Version: 2.3.11-1
Depends: libc, kmod-tun, liblzo, libopenssl
Provides:
Architecture: ar71xx
Conffiles:
 /etc/config/openvpn 5d0a69b4290e1896d683289069351dcd
Installed-Time: 1511825392

root@Pineapple:~# opkg install libc
Package libc (0.9.33.2-1) installed in root is up to date.
Configuring liblzo.
Collected errors:

Any ideas?

So I got openvpn successfully installed. Here is what I ended up doing for anyone else working this issue. The problem stems form th source repository. Sinc the OG cloud.wifipineapple.com repository is now defunct you need to edit the opkg.conf file to replace the old src/gz line with this:

src/gz packages http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_adjustment/12.09/ar71xx/generic/packages

For me to get this working I did a full reset to purge any other source lists and associated info. Im sure there is a more manual way to do this, but I didn't feel like futzing with it.

After the reset, I modified the file, performed the opkg install, and voila.

For further understanding for those who care, the issue stems from having the wrong package source in previous attempts. The Alpha121U (aka PA MkV) can only use openwrt version 12.09 and any other versions packages will not work, causing the errors to throw due to incorrect installer details specific to the OS version. Many hours of Google and config file putzing around, but I have a working openvpn access point now. I hope this helps ohers in the same sitch.

Cheers.